Any new information/contacts for CBP Air and Marine?

CBPo

I am a CBP officer who dreams of one day flying. I love Law Enforcement and I love flying so if I could find a feasible way of combining the two then well...... :D

I know this has been a previously discussed topic but if anyone currently in CBP air and marine could help give me guidance or *hope* on accomplishing this I would be much obliged.

I have very limited experience, basically I've chartered a few Helicopter tours on various vacations...sad yes, but it fueled my desire to be a pilot.

So please if you or anyone else knows the wherabouts of these people call 1-800.... or just shoot me an Email

thanks

I am a CBP officer who dreams of one day flying. I love Law Enforcement and I love flying so if I could find a feasible way of combining the two then well...... :D

I know this has been a previously discussed topic but if anyone currently in CBP air and marine could help give me guidance or *hope* on accomplishing this I would be much obliged.

I have very limited experience, basically I've chartered a few Helicopter tours on various vacations...sad yes, but it fueled my desire to be a pilot.

So please if you or anyone else knows the wherabouts of these people call 1-800.... or just shoot me an Email

thanks

I have worked with CBP air and know several pilots. It is quite difficult to become a pilot for their agency. They do not train from within like many police departments. You need to be dual rated for both fixed wing and helicopter. In addition they have a very high minimun entrance requirement which includes multi engine and IFR endorsements. Many of their pilots come from the military as it is way to expensive to get all those ratings on ones own. You can check the CBP web site for specifics.

First....you may want to join the Airborne Law Enforcement Association. You only need to be law enforcement to join. www.alea.org

Since your already a CBP officer, why dont you just contact the air wing directly. That way you know your info is good. Someone giving you bad or mis information could cost you thousands of $$ or possibly cause you to miss your chance. Referring to Eagle 1's post....Since your not a pilot, Id have to say your going to need to try a different route to get into the unit. I assume not EVERYONE in Air Ops is a pilot right? Have you looked into the Air Interdiction Officer position? If your not a pilot, maybe look into getting into the unit as a crew member. What would be the chances of you joining the reserves or National Guard as maybe a Blackhawk Crew Chief/mechanic? 8 weeks of basic training and 16 weeks at the Blackhawk mechanic course. Your a fed....thats double dippin right there buddy! $$$ :lol:

In police work as Im sure you know...you have to take the steps to make it happen. Sometimes taking those extra steps others arent willing to take. Aviation slots, pilot, crew, mechanic, are coveted regardless of what badge you wear. You have to make them want you. Do an honest self-interview.....What are the backgrounds of the pilots and crews getting into the unit now and how do you stand up?

There are the minimum requirements...and then theres who gets in. In times of tight budgets...which is always the case in air ops...what do you bring to the team?

• 2 weeks later...
I have worked with CBP air and know several pilots. It is quite difficult to become a pilot for their agency. They do not train from within like many police departments. You need to be dual rated for both fixed wing and helicopter. In addition they have a very high minimun entrance requirement which includes multi engine and IFR endorsements. Many of their pilots come from the military as it is way to expensive to get all those ratings on ones own. You can check the CBP web site for specifics.

EAGLE1, that is not exactly accurate. CBP Air (formerly US Customs Air and US Border Patrol Air), does have an internal hiring process for pilots, as well as the "street hire" process. Modeled after the old US Border Patrol Pilot Trainee program, it is supposed to be set up like this (this will be the first time it has been used since the two agencies merged with the creation of CBP Air, so it is subject to change): current CBP law enforcement personnel (BP Agents and Aviation Enforcement Officers) can apply for the Pilot Trainee position providing they have the following:

- 3 years of CBP Law Enforcement service (currently only those with 6c coverage)

- current GS-11 grade level

- Commercial/Instrument ASEL, MEL, ASES, MES, Rotor/Heli or whatever....just as long as it is Comm/Inst

- 250 hours total time

- 50 hours night/instrument (any combination thereof)

- 150 hours PIC

- 100 hours within last 12 months (I think....not sure about this one....)

Once accepted for the position, Pilot trainees are reclassified as GS-1801-11 Air Interdiction Officer Pilot Trainees from their previous classification (either GS-1896 BPA or GS-1801 AEO). They fly training aircraft (light single engine airplanes - rotor guys probably go through a add-on) until they reach 1500 hours total time. They then go for an Agency check ride (pretty much a commercial/instrument ride with some agency specific stuff added in). If successful, they are promoted to Journeyman Pilot (GS-1881-12 Air Interdiction Agent, with promotion potential to GS-13 level).

As for street hires, they require either a Comm/Inst ASEL/MEL combo OR a Comm/Inst Rotor/Heli, 1500 hours, 250 hours PIC, 75 hours night/instrument, 100 hours last 12 months.

CBPo: I believe the way they are talking about having the program set up only allows 6c covered employees be eligible. (You should know what I mean by 6c). If you really want to fly for CBP Air, best bet would be to get on as a Border Patrol Agent, do your 3 years required ground pounding time and get your Comm/Inst ASEL simultaneously. I don't know if they will be hiring any more AEOs (Customs back-seaters), so BPA may be the only way to go.

Anyway, this is my interpretation of how things are set up for pilot hiring right now. Like I said before, it is all subject to change as is anything since there are ALOT of growing pains with the merging of USCS Air and USBP Air.

Hope this info helps. Just for info, I'm a BPA waiting for the upcoming Pilot Trainee announcement. It should be out this week, from what I'm told. I have my fingers crossed.

Later,

jqk407

CBPo-

If you are in the SoCal region - or can spend a day here - contact Rod Anderson or Andreas Moser @ Helistream 714-662-3163 (John Wayne Airport/SNA & the E1 nest). Both do extensive recurrent training for CBP as Helistream has a long term contract. Aside from speaking with them, you might want to inquire about meeting a crew to discuss paths for advancement into unit as long as they're on site. If my recollection is correct, they generally fly 4 days a week in the Astars with CBP. You can also get the Helistream program info from some lont time pros.

E1, any thoughts..?

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

jgk407,

I guess I was not specific enough with my earlier post. When I flew with the guys at Customs it was pre 9-11 and the merger. What I was trying to convey was that I do not believe they take a 0 time customs officer ( forgive me, I am a city cop not a fed and not up to speed on the current classification/ title) and train him up from within to a pilot position. Some depts (mine inc.) will take a 0 time officer and give them all the training/ratings (comm/ rotor) and provided they pass the final check ride at 500 hours turn them loose to fly missions. So my answer was based on that reference. I still believe it is going to cost the average 0 time guy a substantial amount of cash to meet the basic requirements. Also back then it was my understanding that all the rotor guys needed a fixedwing ticket as well, so you ended up dual rated by the time you got to helos. Hope that helps clear up my earlier post some. I do not claim to be an expert on CBP air, far from it. I was just trying pass on what little I thought I knew.

jgk407,

I guess I was not specific enough with my earlier post. When I flew with the guys at Customs it was pre 9-11 and the merger. What I was trying to convey was that I do not believe they take a 0 time customs officer ( forgive me, I am a city cop not a fed and not up to speed on the current classification/ title) and train him up from within to a pilot position. Some depts (mine inc.) will take a 0 time officer and give them all the training/ratings (comm/ rotor) and provided they pass the final check ride at 500 hours turn them loose to fly missions. So my answer was based on that reference. I still believe it is going to cost the average 0 time guy a substantial amount of cash to meet the basic requirements. Also back then it was my understanding that all the rotor guys needed a fixedwing ticket as well, so you ended up dual rated by the time you got to helos. Hope that helps clear up my earlier post some. I do not claim to be an expert on CBP air, far from it. I was just trying pass on what little I thought I knew.

EAGLE1, no prob. It would sure be nice if CBP had a 0 time program, it would have saved me a buttload of money, but they don't. I was just passing on what was the latest with hiring practices for CBP Air as of right now. With the whole merger between Customs and BP, many things have changed for both agencies. In fact, things seem to change on a daily basis. I don't think there are ANY experts on CBP Air.....not even the bigwigs themselves know what is going on with the agency (or so it seems).

Anyway, maybe our paths will cross one day once I get my foot in the door with this Trainee program.

Stay safe,

jqk407