your jobs before aviation

rotorjockey

I am only 20 but have worked as a CNA, Subsitute, Secretary, sales clerk, merchandiser, Customer service manager, a few different stores, translator, cattle ranch work, and a million more I probably cant remember, and right now as I am going through flight school i am working in group homes for developmentally disabled people. A career I would have persued had I not got the helo bug :P

• 6 months later...

I feel like a bit of a fraud replying, as I am still working to save the money to get into aviation and helicopters, but my illustrious career so far has had me as a:

warehouse goods-in guy

sailing instructor

sailmaker

sail training yacht watch leader

engineering (naval architecture) student

bartender (while at university, or should that be the other way round?)

high school math teacher (at an all girls school, I was 22, it was hell on earth, honestly it was)

(so I moved to USA)

Design Engineer and Shipyard Manager (and part time bartender) in Florida

(moved back to UK)

bartender while waitng to start my current job...

Design Engineer and naval architect on Super/Mega/Giga yachts (much larger shipyard)

and I still work part time in a bar.

And the whole time I wanted to fly helicopters. So I will, soon.

Construction worker, Petroleum Distribution Engineer (Pumped gas!), HVAC Tech/Installer, auto mechanic, heavy equipment mechanic, heavy equipment operator, paramedic, rope rescue instructor, FIREFIGHTER for the past 18 years, currently working part time at a huge auto parts chain store to pay for flight school, and when I finish school, soon to be flying at a yet unknown location!

College Student

Corporate Biotech Research Associate

Bartender/Server

Sleddog Trainer

Sleddog Trainer

Sleddog Trainer

Bartender/Server

Dog Washer

Helis

:lol:

hey, can you train sled dogs??

( sorry, couldnt help it)

High school, flight school and VietNam. There really wasn't much "before aviation" in my life:

In high school: Lifeguard (GREAT job!) and semi-pro Boy Scout. Really, that can be a paying job.

After VietNam and back in "the world". I wanted to be "normal", so I was at various intervals and durations:

A semi-pro Scout again, interfered with my partying, so;

Swung a hammer, yanked a saw;

Operated a convenience store;

Loan office, second best party job I ever had;

Door to door salesman, most work I ever did, even more than;

Sawmill, "green chain";

Various positions in a textile, actually a spinning mill;

Machine center operator, semi-pro machinist wannabe, best folks I ever worked for. Got laid off, realized I'd never be "normal". Non-aviation jobs ran from two and a half days to a couple of years. Besides, the hangovers were getting fierce, and I'd nearly run my soon-to-be ex-wife off, I admitted and accepted that I'm a helicopter pilot. That ran her off.