Probationary Membership?

Yet another person registers and immediately posts spam on the site.

Other forums have a Probationary membership, whereby a new member has to submit his/her first 10 posts via the moderator, who might then allow them onto the boards.

Garbage like these spammers produce only waste our bandwidth.

We all agree that the spam is annoying.

At the moment, the mods are doing a good job of deleting as and when.

Given that the majority of new 'registrants'(?) are good people, I think the system as it is now, would be less hassle than having mods screan all posts from new members.

If it get's worse, than maybe an alternative system will have to be put in place.

Does anyone know if these are 'auto' registrations? - in other words a 'security loophole' that the board designers (ICONBOARDS) could look into?

Joker

We all agree that the spam is annoying.

Does anyone know if these are 'auto' registrations? - in other words a 'security loophole' that the board designers (ICONBOARDS) could look into?

Joker

that last question is for rey to answer.

as for the spammers, nothing ticks me off more than them :angry: the members have been very diligent at notifying us mods that we are able to remove and shut them down in a short period of time. having to moniter newbe posts just wouldn't be feesible. just continue to report spam posts and we'll continue to get them off.

thx

Edited by 67november

I am trying to figure out a way to stop the spammers. They tend to register under free email accounts. I don't want to ban free email accounts. The reporting spam is a solution for now. I need the post to remain on so I can ban their IP address and email but that is not stopping them because IP's can be spoofed.

I'm trying to put new anti spam features on. It will take a while to make sure it works or does not interfere with the normal operation. I may go back to manually validating a registration.

-Rey

I just changed the validation to USER EMAIL then I will validate it manually. Every member has 120 days to validate a registration then it is deleted. If you are unable to validate a registration please email me and I will do it manually for you. Hope this stops the spammers.

-Rey

Guest rookie101

The idea of a mod. reading a new member's first post isn't that bad of an idea if it's to start a new thread, which is where all the spam comes from. It would of course intefere if it was in response to an already started thread. Might just have to take the good with the bad.

What about an alert system. Every time a new member posts the mod's are alerted via a PM or something of the like. Since PM's would start to pill up after a while you could set a limit i.e. after the first two posts the member is then let off the hook. Just food for thought.

Spam messages are definitely annoying but relatively speaking (compared the 100’s of spam emails I get a week) it happens VERY rarely on this site. I may have only opened 2-3 spam threads during my entire tenure frequenting this site. I just hit the “back” button and get on with it. And actually, now that I think about it, replying to this thread regarding spam has taken up more of my time than the actual spam that is being complained about--now that's irony for you. I think the moderators do a great job, all-around, on this site. Thank you Rey, 67November, PhotoFlyer, and anyone I may have missed.

-V5