The rumor mill is turning

PhotoFlyer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rookie101

Wow, haden't heard that. Wouldn't this be a bit of a risk, wouldn't you be considered a Scab for doing this? That would be hard thing to live down in the eyes of your fellow helo pilot's and may (or may not) have an effect on getting other jobs. BDIK, I'm not even a rookie ;)

I only have heard bits and pieces. I am wondering if I would want to work for them now? I thought that I might in the future. Now, I don't know. Time will tell. I have a former CFI friend that is hopefully still employed? I am going to email them tonight and ask a few questions.

Later

Guest rookie101
It would make you look that way, I imagine, but some people will do it anyway...

Indeed a hard offer to turn down if, and it's a big if I imagine, it were true. I really don't think I would do it. Being that it makes you look like a Scab is bad and something that you would probably never recover from. I would rather work for Air Log or Era and wait for the 1,000 hr. mark than be labelled, or even 'look', like a Scab. Then again, I say all of this with a big 0 for flight hours, my opinion could be different if I was a starving IP.

PHI's ad on JustHelicrap still says 1000 hours, the last time I checked, but I admit I don't check that s***hole very often. If you want your name on the national scab list for the rest of your life, then you might consider it, but you will never be welcome at any represented company, ever. And when the strike is over, and the striking pilots are returned to work as required by the RLA, those hired as scabs have no protection, and might not be retained.

Goldy,

I was reading a article out of Houston and I am pretty sure Kandy is one of the pilots (ems) that walked off the job. So, she may not have a job at PHI any longer?

Yeah, I had heard the same thing. I dont know her, but she is damn good looking...

Goldy

Hey Gomer thx for the link.

it proves the fact that the people operating these businesses are of what we have come to call as the

"Greed is Good" generation

these are those people who are in an athority position born of the first part of the boomer generation "46 to 55" these people have become a very dangerous part of our country's economy as they have no consideration for nothing other than themselves. these people MUST be stoped at all cost. They are driving our country into the ground. :angry:

Hey Gomer thx for the link.

it proves the fact that the people operating these businesses are of what we have come to call as the

"Greed is Good" generation

these are those people who are in an athority position born of the first part of the boomer generation "46 to 55" these people have become a very dangerous part of our country's economy as they have no consideration for nothing other than themselves. these people MUST be stoped at all cost. They are driving our country into the ground. :angry:

I agree. It's good to see labor unions working toward the right thing. Despite the fact that it seems like they're having quite a bit of trouble getting everyone to participate.

It also reaffirms some of my decisions in deciding whether or not to pursue this career. Seems like it's all about paying your dues and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Best of luck to anybody participating in this strike.

Once you scab, you're a scab for life. The PHI union pilots are making a really big sacrifice that will change the face of the industry in the pilots favor if they are successfull. Good luck!

Once you scab, you're a scab for life. The PHI union pilots are making a really big sacrifice that will change the face of the industry in the pilots favor if they are successfull. Good luck!

I wholeheartedly agree with TT.

Don't ever cross a picket line, for any reason whatsoever.

One can argue the tactics, strategy and leadership in the PHI/OPEIU situation. What's not in doubt is the fact that the all PHI pilots are YOUR colleagues, and those on strike are trying to improve YOUR situation. Their success will improve YOUR situation for the rest of YOUR career.

I would suggest that you have invested a lot of time and money to develop the qualifications to be potentially considered by PHI. Don’t become impatient now. The future is clear. The jobs will be there after the PHI/OPEIU situation is resolved.

The post Viet Nam pilot glut depressed compensation levels for the last 30 years. That’s slowly and painfully being reversed. I’m not you, and I’m not in YOUR situation. That said, I think YOUR wisest choice is to support those trying to improve YOUR long term situation.

I just had a look at the national scab list. http://www.fracpilot.com/Scabs%20by%20Company.PDF

When you die, you aren't removed, the word 'dead' is just noted in the remarks. There are people listed who scabbed in 1946, and there is at least one person on the list with the notation 'son of xxx, who scabbed in 19xx'. Not only do you never come off the list, your descendents are put on it if they ever get a pilot's certificate and try to fly commercially. Once you get on that list, you never, ever get off, and if you try to jumpseat any airline, the captain will most assuredly check this list before you are allowed on. If your name is there, you will never be able to jumpseat, not for the rest of your life. Be assured, every airline captain has a copy of this list, and uses it when necessary. You DO NOT want to be on it.

I interviewed and was offered a position with PHI right before the strike was announced. While not an avid fan of the unions, I just could not consider hiring on as a "scab" starting out working in the GOM/helicopter industry. This community is just WAY too small to have the "scab" handle associated with you for the rest of your career. Plus, I personnaly did not wan to work at a company that is going to have a high level of tension between it's pilots and management. Fortunately, I was offered another position with another company.

Heard through the grapevine that PHI may be hiring pilots with as few as 600 hours, due to the strike. Anybody else heard that? Anybody confirmed it?

Guest rookie101
and there is at least one person on the list with the notation 'son of xxx, who scabbed in 19xx'. Not only do you never come off the list, your descendents are put on it if they ever get a pilot's certificate and try to fly commercially. Once you get on that list, you never, ever get off, and if you try to jumpseat any airline, the captain will most assuredly check this list before you are allowed on. If your name is there, you will never be able to jumpseat, not for the rest of your life. Be assured, every airline captain has a copy of this list, and uses it when necessary. You DO NOT want to be on it.

This may just be me, but does the underlined seem a little extreme to anyone? Yes it makes sense that someone would be put on there for striking, but descendants!? At this point you'll just be hurting the next generations chances and that seems wrong to me. Just my two cents (a little of topic, I know, I know :rolleyes:)

I just had a look at the national scab list. http://www.fracpilot.com/Scabs%20by%20Company.PDF

When you die, you aren't removed, the word 'dead' is just noted in the remarks. There are people listed who scabbed in 1946, and there is at least one person on the list with the notation 'son of xxx, who scabbed in 19xx'. Not only do you never come off the list, your descendents are put on it if they ever get a pilot's certificate and try to fly commercially. Once you get on that list, you never, ever get off, and if you try to jumpseat any airline, the captain will most assuredly check this list before you are allowed on. If your name is there, you will never be able to jumpseat, not for the rest of your life. Be assured, every airline captain has a copy of this list, and uses it when necessary. You DO NOT want to be on it.

I am an airline captain, and a member of ALPA. I don't carry that list, nor do the majority of other airline pilots

I know. There are alot of myths surrounding strikes, scabs and the such. This is one of them.

As far as descendents being placed on the list, don't think so. Another myth "busted".

This sucks! I have wanted to go to PHI since I started training, now that am finally at 1000 hours, this strike happens. I wish the best to the pilots out of work. Good luck friends, I hope this gets sorted out soon. How long do you guys think this can go on before the strikers run out of food for their families? What an ugly mess. With all due respect and in all honesty, is all this worth the backpay lost? Didn't the company give pilots a raise? I admit my ignorance of the situation, I am just trying to learn more about why it HAD to come to a strike.

CFIISanDiego-

I agree, it sucks for all concerned- management, pilots, and the company as a whole. The parties involved apparently don't feel they have any choice- they're striking, working or dealing with the situation (the company). None of those decisions is to be taken lightly, and you will be an outsider, used by one side or the other. No matter which side eventually prevails, if you're not party to the original dispute, it's worth waiting out. The jobs will be there when this is settled, whether PHI or Local 108 is still around.

If you want Local 108's view, here's a link-

http://www.local108pilots.org/present/index_files/frame.htm

I took a look at the SCAB list... I noticed that there were SSN's or at least partial SSN's listed... Couldn't that be a violation of privacy? Just a thought... and a different topic.. BUT more importantly, LOCAL 108's, I am with you! Stand strong. You are in my thoughts!