The rumor mill is turning

PhotoFlyer

Heard through the grapevine that PHI may be hiring pilots with as few as 600 hours, due to the strike. Anybody else heard that? Anybody confirmed it?

I am in the process of getting out of the military to pursue a career in the commercial helicopter/aviation industry. I am stationed in Japan and have not had the access to keep on top of the strike. I definitely don't and won't be a scab. Is the strike strictly isolated to PHI? Or is it and may it rollover to other GOM companies and other helicopter companies such as those involved in the EMS industry (i.e. Air Methods, CJ, Air-evac, etc)? Just curious as to where I should start looking for employment and not cross the line and be detrimental to my fellow pilots and their cause.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the process of getting out of the military to pursue a career in the commercial helicopter/aviation industry. I am stationed in Japan and have not had the access to keep on top of the strike. I definitely don't and won't be a scab. Is the strike strictly isolated to PHI? Or is it and may it rollover to other GOM companies and other helicopter companies such as those involved in the EMS industry (i.e. Air Methods, CJ, Air-evac, etc)? Just curious as to where I should start looking for employment and not cross the line and be detrimental to my fellow pilots and their cause.

PHI, only.

Air Log and CareFlight have just signed contracts, and I believe both have no strike clauses in them, so there is no chance of either striking soon. The other GoM companies are not organized. Only PHI is on strike, and considering the new SEC filing PHI made, that may end soon. The company now says it is hurting financially, and previous numbers of reported strikers were not truthful.

GLS

Are you saying the union guys were inflating the Nos. not flying? and the Co. saying everything going OK is not the correct?

As a non American please elaborate on SEC and what efect this will have and

why

• 5 weeks later...

As Bassbone stated in his thread on the Utility/Offshore forum, the Local 108 has published a "Return to work" letter. There are several news articles in the last couple of days talking about how PHI Inc. has lost approximately $3 million in this third quarter compared to last quarter and analyst estimates of the company's performance. I guess it costs a lot to woo pilots to cross the picket line with bonuses?

500E,

SEC is the Security and Exchange Commission. Not sure what they would have to do with what amounts to a Department of Labor issue.

GLS

Are you saying the union guys were inflating the Nos. not flying? and the Co. saying everything going OK is not the correct?

As a non American please elaborate on SEC and what efect this will have and

why

PHI is a publicly held company and so must file information statements about the business quarterly or whenever there is a significant event that could impact the stock price. The "SEC filing" referred to PHI's latest quarterly filing which said in part:

"We estimate that the continuing effects of the strike in October 2006 will be a reduction in revenue of $4.5 to $5.0 million as compared to amounts that would have been realized based on pre-strike business activity. The reduction in revenue is expected to continue until a sufficient number of additional pilots can be hired, trained and deployed to allow us to return to normal operating levels."

Thanks for replies FRY & LINK regarding SEC

Not being in the US & having a closer understanding of the original problem don't understand why it is over, other than a lack of pilots backing? or the Co gave some?

Fly the dream fly 500