Pilot Career Outlook?

vegasblades

Just a few quick questions for all you veterans pilots. Im approaching my retirement in law enforcement and looking for a career change. Im only 32 years old and have recently enrolled in a program to gain my private rotor. My life long friend has a helo business which operates 3 piston and 1 turbine helo for private jobs. I would have endless access to his helos for jobs and whatnot to gain my magic 1000 pic hours once i secure my commercial rating. I feel that access to his helos is a major push to commit to this career field. I would eventually like to fly offshore or in law enf. Im hearing though, that the market is to be flooded with pilots leaving the military, therefore making these jobs super competitive. I really want an honest opinion as to the future outlook of rotor pilots in the job market. Thanks in advance.

i'm in the same boat as you. looking to retire(fairly young--late40's) from the fire service within the next 4-5 years and am looking forward to another job to keep me away from home! i will begin my training hopefully next month with the intention of working as a CFII till i retire and then carry on elsewhere. i should have plenty of hours by then. GOOD LUCK to you!!

The market isn't being flooded with ex-military pilots yet. There seems to still be a stop-loss program in effect, and few are being allowed to leave. What will happen in a few years is anybody's guess, and depends a great deal on the outcome of the elections. If Bush invades Iran in order to influence them, then there may be no military pilots getting out alive for a long, long time. On the other hand, abandoning that disastrous plan, and getting out of Iraq, may allow many to get out. I won't predict either way.

Just a few quick questions for all you veterans pilots. Im approaching my retirement in law enforcement and looking for a career change. Im only 32 years old and have recently enrolled in a program to gain my private rotor. My life long friend has a helo business which operates 3 piston and 1 turbine helo for private jobs. I would have endless access to his helos for jobs and whatnot to gain my magic 1000 pic hours once i secure my commercial rating. I feel that access to his helos is a major push to commit to this career field. I would eventually like to fly offshore or in law enf. Im hearing though, that the market is to be flooded with pilots leaving the military, therefore making these jobs super competitive. I really want an honest opinion as to the future outlook of rotor pilots in the job market. Thanks in advance.

I see a shortage of pilots due to high interest loans and the helo schools taking money from the students.

• 1 month later...

Where are all these jobs being advertised? I doubt they are in the local classifieds. :-)

I am interested in a possible career change but not if it means leaving my family for a few weeks at a time.

I spoke with HR at http://www.evergreenaviation.com/about.html they are one of the main company's in the NW for service (I have no idea what their world standaing is)

and that is what is said it would be... for most companies and thats where the money would be.

KM

• 3 weeks later...