HEAD SETS

PSZ

Hi 1st timer & I have recently started helicopter school.I was looking for input on a good & [if possable] inexpensive headset. I've tried the David Clark 10-60, & thats all I know. Are the "ANR" sets worth the extra coin? Do some of them have different quality/clarity mics? They vary from about 13 oz. to 20+. Any input would be appreciated PS. flying R-22, if that is a noise evaluation concern Thanks

Guest rookie101

Hum, well I don't know if you've seen this thread but you may find it helpful:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...amp;hl=headsets

Since your question deals more with how cheap headsets are I guess we can consider it a new question and I won't have to beat you over the head with requests to use the Search feature. :D

Hi 1st timer & I have recently started helicopter school.I was looking for input on a good & [if possable] inexpensive headset. I've tried the David Clark 10-60, & thats all I know. Are the "ANR" sets worth the extra coin? Do some of them have different quality/clarity mics? They vary from about 13 oz. to 20+. Any input would be appreciated PS. flying R-22, if that is a noise evaluation concern Thanks

PSZ,

I have a pair of the H10-60, and I've had them for 15 years, never had a problem with either(I've take good care of them over the years). There a little heavier than most. Check out the previous Forum on this subject, and decide for yourself.

Good luck-

R91

I have a DC h10-30 that I bought in 86 and recently installed a coiled helo cord. Still works after sitting in a box for some 18 years. Personally, I don't find the noise from the Robbie that loud even without headsets. Ten years of jet noise? Now if the doors are off, that's another thing. But if you prefer the ANR stuff, gofer it.

Go to Ebay and I bet you can find some good deals. Just don't trade for what's behind door number two.

Later

Remember that a good headset is an investment in your future. Not only will an ANR headset make you feel less fatigued at the end of the flight, but protecting your hearing from day one, might prevent you from loosing your medical a few years to soon due to loss of hearing. I spent 1000usd on a bose aviation X, sure it's a lot of money, but think about how you would feel that day you go to the FAA medic and cant renew your medical

They give you a hearing test as part of your medical?

I got one. For the FAA, its not a big one, but i wouldnt try getting a JAA medical without perfect hearing.

And remember.....

Missing radio calls can be a really bad thing :P

They have to give you a hearing test, but exactly how isn't specified. IME most AMEs do it by talking to you while your back is turned, and if you can hear them, you pass. My AME has also given up on giving me a color-blindness test. I finally convinced him that if I wasn't colorblind last year, I won't be this year. It's not something that changes.

• 6 months later...

Everytime I've gotten a medical, the Doc stands behind me and makes a quiet rubbing noise with his fingers and asked me which side he's making the noise on. That was the extent of the hearing test portion of the medical. Oh I might mention that they were always second class medicals. I've never got a 1st class medical, they might be a little more particular with a 1st class? Anywho, thats all I got.