R22 w&b when flying solo and you a light weight pilot

Timmy

I am sure I am not the only 160lb pilot as a member to this site, but I did my first solo this past Sunday and it was great. The only problem is that I had so much forward cyclic that it was insan and uncomfortable. The main was full and the aux empty, but of course the main partly drained into the aux. I could not believe how little manifold pressure i needed before the heli took off, and when I landed I had to land with back skids touching first and then forward as i lowered the collective. My teacher said this is normal for a light pilot but I could add weight to the passenger seat. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could stick about 150lbs under the passenger seat, I was thinking free weights but the big ones dont fit in the space, and having to many small ones breaks the purpose of having a collapsable seat incase of a crash. Does anyone have any ideas, or know of anything they make for such an issue. Thanks in advance all.....oh and don't say gain weight, it just is not happening at 20 years old right now. Thanks!

Tim

Well, if you are solo, you can put whatever you want under the pax seat. However, better yet is to put maybe 40 lbs on the floor up front where the T/R pedals install (those come out in around 10 sec). You will get the same CG benefits without so much weight.

I haven't got a CG chart handy at the moment, but at those weights and fuel loads, you should still be inside CofG. In that case, you could simply put your discomfort down to unfamiliarality. Then you would just have to get used to it, but take comfort in the knowledge that you are within the manufacturers limits. (I'm sure you have been taught to check CofG from full to empty fuel.)

The first solo in that aircraft is a little un-nerving, but you will get used to it over time. Just be ready to auto when the engine fails...you haven't long!

Like Fling says, if you are still uncomfortable and if you are solo you can put all you want into the passenger seat. Its crashworthiness doesn't matter if there's no one in it.

Putting ballast as far forward as possible is a good idea, but be VERY careful that it can in no way get caught up with the pedal control. Also ensure it is secured from movement within the floor well.

Joker

I hear ya - I am also a lightweight (at about 140). I noticed the same things on my first solo. My instructors talked to me about this in length before hand as to not catch me off guard. It is a little awkward, but you get used to it. Being as light as I am (and I had a balast under the pax seat) I had to have the collective almost completely down to get the thing to descend. It was like an auto....but not. I had cruise power at like 15 inches. I pulled to 18 inches on take off and I had a serious climb. Of course when it was all said and done, all the instructors, the cheif, etc all got a good laugh that I needed a balast, let alone used so little power.

I would suggest that you work at becoming comfortable with it. I am a lightweight too and most of the helicopters that I have ever flown have had a pretty nose high attitude in a hover when I fly solo. So this is something that you will see again as begin to fly different equipment.

If you're in the normal CG range at takeoff and landing, why add weight? More weight means less performance, that includes autorotative performance... Do the computation, dteremine the reality, relate the theory to the observed, and learn from it.

Even for a big guy like me (205) if I am by myself and have full fuel, the CG is pretty far aft in an R22 -- and I know it is a little disconcerting at first. In time, you'll no longer even notice it.

Rather than mess with balast, so long as you are within the envelope, you should learn to fly the helicopter as it is. The ship will fly just fine if you stay in the CG envelope, and in the future you're going to be insituations where the CG is someplace you're not used to -- you still have to be able to fly the helicopter...