Civilian Medical VS Military Medical

You can do some searches on the net and find out what the standards are for a Class 1A Flight Physical... From what I can remember from my reading through this document color blindness was a disqualifying condition...

Not sure if you could get a waiver or not... but it is worth checking out.

Might be a silly question but what is an S.O.D.A ?

And how did you get an excemption? I assume your just partially colorblind? Which colors? (I know being colorblind to green, red and violed are reasons for automatic disqualification).

I just mean; How would you know.. At night if you or the other aircraft crossing in front of you have the right of way? Or what about light gun signals in case of radio failure?

Don't mean to break your spirit, but would you feel safe flying knowing you might not catch that information, leading to potentially dangerous situations for you and others.

But again this all comes back to one of my first questions, what colors are you blind to?

Anyhow, if you go ahead. Good luck.

Statement Of Demonstrated Ability. As a civilian pilot, you can get a tower controller to give you light signals, and if you can get them right, you can get a SODA for color vision. The only real reason you need color vision is to be able to get light signals by telling red from green. And the only reason you need to be able to do this is because the FAA says so. Light signals are almost never used.

The military is entirely different, and doesn't come under any FAA jurisdiction, so the rules of each service apply. AFAIK colorblindness is disqualifying for flying in any military service. That said, the rules change as necessary.

AFAIK Colorblindness... I'll have to read up on this.

Thanks for the reply.

I apologize now if I am reading your post wrong, but AFAIK=as far as I know. It is not a type of colorblindness.

Policy letters for Army Aviation Medical. http://usasam.amedd.army.mil/_aama/policyLetter.htm

Army Aeromedical http://www.usaarl.army.mil/

I apologize now if I am reading your post wrong, but AFAIK=as far as I know. It is not a type of colorblindness.

Policy letters for Army Aviation Medical. http://usasam.amedd.army.mil/_aama/policyLetter.htm

Army Aeromedical http://www.usaarl.army.mil/

This is straight out of AR 40-501

(5) Color vision. (See ATB, Color Vision Testing and APL, Color Vision Abnormalities.)

(a) Five or more errors in reading the 14 test plates of the Pseudoisochromatic Plate (PIP) Set; or

(B) Any error in reading the nine test light pairs of the Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) or the OPTEC 900 Color

Vision Tester.

Color Blindness and Color deficiency are two different animals.

I can not pass the card test at all. 20 some odd years ago I found out about the Farnsworth lantern test in the Air Force from a friend in the medical field. I demanded that test and pass every time.

They will not offer it in the military, you have to request it!

The test is similar to reading the light gun. Three colors are randomly shown on the light and you must determine which one is which. Easy for me, a guy that fails the cards miserably!!

As I transitioned to the civil world, I just brought my flight physicals to my examiner and proved that i could pass the test. He signed me off without having to go out to an airport and flash the light gun.

Nuke Out!

Color Blindness and Color deficiency are two different animals.

I can not pass the card test at all. 20 some odd years ago I found out about the Farnsworth lantern test in the Air Force from a friend in the medical field. I demanded that test and pass every time.

They will not offer it in the military, you have to request it!

The test is similar to reading the light gun. Three colors are randomly shown on the light and you must determine which one is which. Easy for me, a guy that fails the cards miserably!!

As I transitioned to the civil world, I just brought my flight physicals to my examiner and proved that i could pass the test. He signed me off without having to go out to an airport and flash the light gun.

Nuke Out!

Nuke, do you frequent Socnet?