ya I'm Fat OK

dlo

ok guys, WTF, I weigh 225 and instructor is less than 200. this shouldn't be an issue, but I guess it is . we are 55-60 pounds less and the beta 1 won't handle a hover, ( so I was told ) I cant afford to train in the r 44 and still eat, so you know which one Im choosing. so im just a fat ace, i guess, 6 foot and played football for 4 + years. and man i see a lot of high time pilots who look like pregnant truck drivers. wonder where they got there training. Maybe they racked up all of thier hours and put on all of the wieght training fat kids like myself to fly the shoe box. Im just kind of pissed. what should I do, go somewhere that has a real robinson beta 2 or stop eating for 6 months. I just wish the heli lifted what it was supossed to. I meanm, its not like my butt cheeks need both the seats. should I move on to another school, or what

next question, will i get hired as a CFI II if i still weigh 225, or will they just laugh at me and tell me to go back to the buffet... I just wish the shoe box could lift my fat ace, If that thing doesnt lift near as what it should, maybe I would be better off training somewhere else. souther texas.

jp

OK, enough about the fat jokes, I am really sensitive about my weight!!!

so i have to go to to the 300 cbi, well that might be far away, but all of you guys say this is normal, what is it with the 240 pound wt limit then, i cant believe this. how true is it that I need 200 total hours, + 50 hours in a robbi to teach. how will I do that, do you think I should mix the training, maybe half and half or what. i wanted to train in the most popular so I could find a job. oh well

I hear ya on that one. I'm stuck in the mid-190's right now and can't seem to shake it. Diet and execrise, I know. I'm 22 so you'd think the pounds would drop right off. They don't. Not for me.

Where are you doing your training?

Guest rookie101
so i have to go to to the 300 cbi, well that might be far away, but all of you guys say this is normal, what is it with the 240 pound wt limit then, i cant believe this. how true is it that I need 200 total hours, + 50 hours in a robbi to teach. how will I do that, do you think I should mix the training, maybe half and half or what. i wanted to train in the most popular so I could find a job. oh well

hmm.... I think you might be confused about the 50 hrs. to instruct and the 200 hours TT. The FAA says you need 50 hours in an R-22 to legally teach in it, but the insurance companies set the school's required hours to 200 and more often than not, 300 hrs to teach in a R-22. The same cannot be said for Schweizer aircraft. If you wanted to go the R-44 route that will take you 500 hours in a Robinson aircraft, 50 of which have to be in the R-44 and you also have to attend the Robinson Safety Course to be insurable. Insurance companies set the standards.

240 pounds is a seat limit, not a weight and balance limit. The seats are designed to crush in a crash, and exceeding the seat weight will reduce, or eliminate, the effectiveness of that safety feature. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with weight and balance limitations.

ok guys, WTF, I weigh 225 and instructor is less than 200. this shouldn't be an issue, but I guess it is . we are 55-60 pounds less and the beta 1 won't handle a hover, ( so I was told ) I cant afford to train in the r 44 and still eat, so you know which one Im choosing. so im just a fat ace, i guess, 6 foot and played football for 4 + years. and man i see a lot of high time pilots who look like pregnant truck drivers. wonder where they got there training. Maybe they racked up all of thier hours and put on all of the wieght training fat kids like myself to fly the shoe box. Im just kind of pissed. what should I do, go somewhere that has a real robinson beta 2 or stop eating for 6 months. I just wish the heli lifted what it was supossed to. I meanm, its not like my butt cheeks need both the seats. should I move on to another school, or what

next question, will i get hired as a CFI II if i still weigh 225, or will they just laugh at me and tell me to go back to the buffet... I just wish the shoe box could lift my fat ace, If that thing doesnt lift near as what it should, maybe I would be better off training somewhere else. souther texas.

jp

OK, enough about the fat jokes, I am really sensitive about my weight!!!

Take the doors off, load up on 13 gallons of fuel and your within limits. Should not be a problem with normal DA and reasonable altitudes, even in a R22 B. I fly regularly at 240 pounds, with passengers of 170 or so. Just do a W&B, watch the fuel load carefully, and take the doors off !! ( Gives you an extra eleven pounds).

By the way, your paying the bill....so drop five pounds and find a CFI at less than 180, just to make the flight longer!

well guys, sounds like this still may be a machine issue and not my weight, im 225 and instructor is under 200, i just wish i could train local in the r22., the 300cbi is too far away and costs a little more, will a new betta 2 fly more wt than an older betta 1?????? i would hope so. man this is some tight wt issues, i mean their are alot of people that are over 200 lbs.

thanks for the help guys, sounds like one of the pilots is 245 and he said he instructs in the 300 cbi, atleast that is hope, getting back down to 210 should not be that hard, just have to try....

So does anyone know the best way to lose weight (as in fat) but without building muscles (which weigh more)?

I have 9 months until my training starts and i currently weigh 195 and im just turning 17 years old. My build is probably not that brilliant for flying because i have broad shoulders and i stand tall on a lot of people. The problem is, i may have more growing to do yet :unsure:

Im just hoping i dont go over 6' otherwise i will have a problem

So does anyone know the best way to lose weight (as in fat) but without building muscles (which weigh more)?

I have 9 months until my training starts and i currently weigh 195 and im just turning 17 years old. My build is probably not that brilliant for flying because i have broad shoulders and i stand tall on a lot of people. The problem is, i may have more growing to do yet :unsure:

Im just hoping i dont go over 6' otherwise i will have a problem

my advice to you is to take up a 3 pack a day cigarette habit.............they say it will stunt your growth.

(ok, settle down, just kidding)

14 weeks ago I tipped the scales at 228lbs and now a mere 182lbs. 46lbs in 14 weeks.

I followed the CSIRO Diet.

Breakfast: standard serve of cereal, no sugar added or in the cereal and skim milk.

Lunch: Salad with low calorie dressing, 2 pieces of wholegrain bread. (the type full of seeds). Small tin of either Tuna or Beans or lentals too. Piece of fruit.

Dinner: 150 gram piece of good lean steak, chicken or fish. 2 cups of vegtables. (I usually had more). Piece of fruit. 20 grams of low Carb nuts. Maybe some diet Ice Cream or Yogurt if I was a good boy.

Drink pleanty of water. Nothing with sugar. Sugar is contained in all those cans of Coke that now litter the floor of your Helo.

Make sure you take the time to read the diet label on the products you buy. I have found that as an example the Diet Yogurt I eat has only 25% of the fat of another brand of diet yogurt. So pay attention to what you buy then eating is easy.

I now eat more than before and often eat out. Tonight I went out with my wife for tea and we shared a 9" pizza then I had a Calamari Salad. Then we went and had Ice Cream.

Remember don't buy the fatty food and you wont be able to snack on fatty food in front of the telly.

Visit the CSIRO website. The CSIRO is an Australian Government body.

www.csiro.au/csiro/channel/pchaj,,.html

Hey, nice job PA! That's great!

My advice is not to forget that weight lose is a SIMPLE math equation despite all the "high-tech" diets out there.

If:

calories in = calories out, your weight stays unchanged

If:

calories in > calories out, you gain weight

If:

calories in

The only way you can affect one or both sides of the equation is eating less (calories in) and excercise (calories out). And also remember, a calorie is a calorie no matter what you're talking about fat, sugars, protein, or alcohol.

And just to illustrate how hard it is to loose weight and how diligent one has to be to do it, one pound of fat is the equivalent of 4082 calories.

Something else that has worked well for me is to EVERYDAY step on a scale and write that weight down (or graph it in Excel). It keeps you focused and your eye on the prize.

-V5

Hey, nice job PA! That's great!

My advice is not to forget that weight lose is a SIMPLE math equation despite all the "high-tech" diets out there.

If:

calories in = calories out, your weight stays unchanged

If:

calories in > calories out, you gain weight

If:

calories in

The only way you can affect one or both sides of the equation is eating less (calories in) and excercise (calories out). And also remember, a calorie is a calorie no matter what you're talking about fat, sugars, protein, or alcohol.

And just to illustrate how hard it is to loose weight and how diligent one has to be to do it, one pound of fat is the equivalent of 4082 calories.

Something else that has worked well for me is to EVERYDAY step on a scale and write that weight down (or graph it in Excel). It keeps you focused and your eye on the prize.

-V5

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I heard that if you do certain excercises (and i dont no which) that you will actually lose fat but build muscle and gain weight :blink:

What excercise would you recommend?

14 weeks ago I tipped the scales at 228lbs and now a mere 182lbs. 46lbs in 14 weeks.

I followed the CSIRO Diet.

Breakfast: standard serve of cereal, no sugar added or in the cereal and skim milk.

Lunch: Salad with low calorie dressing, 2 pieces of wholegrain bread. (the type full of seeds). Small tin of either Tuna or Beans or lentals too. Piece of fruit.

Dinner: 150 gram piece of good lean steak, chicken or fish. 2 cups of vegtables. (I usually had more). Piece of fruit. 20 grams of low Carb nuts. Maybe some diet Ice Cream or Yogurt if I was a good boy.

Drink pleanty of water. Nothing with sugar. Sugar is contained in all those cans of Coke that now litter the floor of your Helo.

Make sure you take the time to read the diet label on the products you buy. I have found that as an example the Diet Yogurt I eat has only 25% of the fat of another brand of diet yogurt. So pay attention to what you buy then eating is easy.

I now eat more than before and often eat out. Tonight I went out with my wife for tea and we shared a 9" pizza then I had a Calamari Salad. Then we went and had Ice Cream.

Remember don't buy the fatty food and you wont be able to snack on fatty food in front of the telly.

Visit the CSIRO website. The CSIRO is an Australian Government body.

www.csiro.au/csiro/channel/pchaj,,.html

Hey PA, check your inbox :)

Sparks -

If you don't want to build any muscle at all just stay away from weight lifting. You're going to gain muscle no matter what kind of cardio you do. Running will build muscles, riding a bike will build muscles, rowing a boat will build muscles, etc. etc. you get the picture.

Mainly if you are intent on losing weight just stick to a good cardio program. It's up to you how you want to do it. A lot of people think they HAVE to run or they HAVE to bike. Just enjoy your exercise and do a lot of it. Otherwise you run the risk of getting burnt out. Not everyone wants to run every day... on those days you might not feel like running go for a bike ride. Or go hiking. Find something that burns through those calories (just like was stated before... calories out = good) and go have fun doing it.

I don't know too much about your body composition and how much exercise you have done in the past. If you have a lot of fat and no muscle build because you've never really worked out be prepared to not see your weight fluctuate much in those initial phases. Your muscle building will even out your fat loss in those beginning stages making it look like you aren't getting anywhere. If you have the ability I would suggest to get a body fat percentage test done on you. Then, 2 weeks later sticking to a good diet and a good exercise program get another one. You may see your fat % drop a few % but your weight stays the same. In a few months' time the muscles will stop building so quickly (assuming you are the type who has not exercised a whole lot up to this point) and the fat loss will start overtaking the muscle build and you'll see your weight drop dramatically.

If you're the type who is athletic but you've got a few extra pounds on you it won't be the same case and the results will be less dramatic.

The number one thing is to watch your diet and stay active. Do these two things and you will definitely be successful. Cut corners and...well... you'll stay the same. Push yourself!

dlo,

You are asking two excellent questions, one on training at your weight and the other is being able to get a job as a CFI at your weight. The best thing that I can tell you would be to either lose a lot of weight (not sure if your build will allow that) or to train in the 300. If your weight is because of muscule, losing it would be a challenge, if you have weight that you can lose, then lose the weight so that you can train and get a job in the robbie. Your second question about getting a job as a CFI in a robbie at 225 pounds would get a "Slim to no chance" as an answer from me. I've packed on a few pounds since I retired from the AF and when we were operating R22's, it was difficult for me to fly with anyone much over 180 and carry enough fuel to make it around the traffic pattern more than once. We are now using a 300C and have no issues with either my weight or the weight of the students.

That may not be the answer that you are looking for, but it is probably your best bet if you are serious about being a pilot. Just so that you are aware, there are some employers flying turbine aircraft that have weight limits of less than 200 pounds for their pilots.

Just my two-cents.

Doug

thanks for the replies guys, i really didn't know what I was up against, i didn't think weight would be such an issue. I have a muscular build, with about 15 pounds of fat, i just recently within the past year or so, went up to 225, I can drop to 210 probably pretty easy. but still two ten is low for me and i would have a hard time breaking 200. then again, it would be alot of work to break 200. i don't know what to do, trainig in the 300cb will limit me somwhat.

What do you guys think about training in the 300cbi, only because you are over wt. am I gonna find it hard to get a job no matter what. if i am 210?????

Will I truley make it into a career pilot position if I am 210 for the rest of my life. will it be much harder than being 180 pounds. I could never get down to 180. Just under 200 would be drastic life changes for me and alot of compromise. I just want to know if this is the career for me over 200 lbs.

HOw many pilots are working that are over 210 now. are your jobs secure???? could you honestly lose your job to a younger or skinnier pilot?????/

After reading this topic, I am sooo depressed that I think I'll go eat a pint of Ben & Jerrys just to cheer myself up.

Later (burp)

dlo- I wouldn't give up on yourself just yet. Depending on how hard you want to fight for the rest of your life.

My step-father (who is 50) weighed in at 6'3" 220lbs as a real big muscular guy. He probably had somewhere around 15% body fat. He's down to 190 now. He's been biking, running and working his ass off. (Plus watching what he eats) I don't know if you're damn Ronnie Coleman or what with your build... but if you've got around 20% body fat you could easily make it down to 200lbs without giving up too many things in life. If you're sitting in the teens for body fat % then you're probably right... you won't be able to manage being 190-200lbs.

It's all about what you're willing to sacrifice if the weight loss option is your only choice. I'm a thin guy and I have to work just to stay below 10% body fat ... it's gotta be even tougher for you big guys. Good luck with your choices and remember that when Want > Obstacles= Success

How do you find out body fat percentage?

Back in high school, they got out the calipers in gym class. Don't know if they still do that. I have a scale that has contacts on it. I supposed somehow it uses electrical current to measure? Hmm... perhaps it uses magic. That sounds more plausible. There are also websites that calculate body fat percentage and Body Mass Index. Here's one I tried out and it seemed to be close...

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/bmi.html

Cheers

Ryan