ya I'm Fat OK

dlo

Sparks-

If you've got a gym membership usually the personal trainers at the gym will be able to pinch test you to see about where you're at.

If you don't have a gym membership and you wish to have it done you can see if your physician can do one for you, or you can head over to a local gym and get one done there.

Basically a body fat % test is just a measuring tool that pinches the skin on portions of your body and adds all the measurements up for an average number that is compared vs. your total weight to give you a percentage of how much body fat you have.

If you don't have the above resources available to you another thing you can do is this-

Take two fingers (thumb and forefinger) and pinch off the fat on your lower stomach, kidneys, pecs, back of your triceps, meaty portion of your legs (both calf and quadricep). If when doing this you manage to pinch off what looks like more than an inch of fat (in thickness between your forefinger and thumb) you've got a pretty decent amount of body fat (probably 20+%) and you know you've got a decent amount of fat you will be able to work off. Which is good in this case. Because it means you can drop a decent amount of pounds through fat-loss. If you're only able to pinch off half an inch or so it's going to be a lot harder to lose that fat.

Basically if you've got 20% body fat that means that if you weigh 200 lbs you have 40 lbs. of fat. The rest is lean mass (muscle, bone, skin, organs, etc.) Some fat is good (between 5% and 10%) but anything above 10% is excess that your body can live just fine without.

Ok guys. Well i went on that website link for body fat percentage and it came out at 17.3%

So i have a bit to work on, but to be honest i was a little disapointed it wasnt more.

Sparks-

I checked out that website, too. It was off by about 3.5% on me. I've tried to reason through how it might be accurate.. but if you're looking for within a % or two- it's really not. If you want to get your true numbers the best way is to actually get measured. Don't worry too much if you really are at 17%, though. That means at 190 you could drop down to 175 or so no problem. Plus- think of the added benefits... ladies love a six pack :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya well Im also fat ok.

At 6'2 230 I had a hard time seeing myself using a greased up shoehorn to assist me getting into and extricating myself from the robbie. And once I had all of my ratings, the only way I could build time on a reliable schedule was to train small children, farm animals and folks with eating disorders.

The one thing that has caused me hesitation in beginning my training has been my size. Not a worry from a training perspective, as many posters have pointed out the Schweizer is more than up to the task. It is more of a worry with some of the flying jobs out there. Tours and EMS for example often post a weight limit that is usually a max of about 210 with all your gear. I have no idea about GOM work, or ENG or ALE. So the questions were:

A. CAN I realistically get to and maintain an employable weight that did not require me to go on the Olestra Flockhart diet. For us older guys, you cant go "when I was 18, I weighed 185" and expect to once again magically or easily arrive at that number. Consult a health professional. If you CAN get there, then no reason not to.

B. If the answer to question A is yes, and it can be done without testing your gag reflex after every meal or going on an ice cube and sunflower seed diet, then is my dream of flying helicopters important enough for me to put in the effort and lifestyle change necessary to get it done. That really is the bottom line. We only DO what we truly believe in.

Just my two cents adjusted for inflation.

Now, I have been agonizing over my career change decision for about 18 months. I stepped on a scale last April and it displayed a rather disturbing 270. Holy sheepshit batman! When did that happen? I knew I was out of shape but didnt have a real number to attach to the phenomenon of the "tying of the shoes" aerobic workout. I have since dropped 40 lbs, and intend to drop another 25 or so. I did it using the standard theory of caloric conversion. I stopped eating so much, was only a little better about food choices, and hit the gym. Having a sister in law who is a hot personal trainer was a nice added bonus. I still have no idea how my brother conned her into marriage.

About the excercise. For us guys who are on the solid side, it WILL take shaving off some of that muscle to get where you want to go weight wise. In the beginning, I assumed that immediately meant that anything that weighed more than a water bottle was to be avoided at all costs, and I was to run everywhere I went.

With much prodding from the sis-in-law, I have returned to weights and the result was more weight loss. You simply have to adjust your technique so that you are not building muscle, but cardio training using resistence. Low weights, lots of repetitions, never to "failure". Add that to a solid cardio program and a good diet, and you will loose the pounds you want. One more item of interest, is that you have to make it the way you live, or it will feel like a struggle and a "diet" forever.

Ok enough from me! If you want to fly and you can get where you want to be while maintaining health, dont let anything get in your way. I will cheer you on for sure! However, I dont do skirts and pom poms!

Best wishes.

Fasting for extended periods will burn your muscle after a while. For the first couple of days or so, muscle is the first to go (apparently), then fat will start to burn at about 2lbs a day for a while and then slow down to about a 1lb per day. Eventually, muscle will be targeted again...

It probably seems a little extreme but it does work and can be done safely - try this site http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Just a thought...

Muscle goes first???? I don't know where you got that info from, but when dieting, or starving, or exercising, Calories go first, then carbs, followed by fat and then followed by muscle. think about it, if you starved yourself for a couple of days and y0ur muscles went first, that includes your heart, which is a muscle, then you couldn't live. how would these lost hikers survive for thirty days without food.... when dieting or starving, your muscles go last..... if you decide to starve yourself, this will do nothing, your body will go into survival mode and hold on to you fat longer so it has something to burn, this is how lost hikers survive, thier bodies hold onto fat and metabolism slows down. starving yourself or eating a whole lot less is not the way to lose weight. you need a low fat diet, limited calories, exercise, with plenty of water and sleep......

Muscle goes first???? I don't know where you got that info from, but when dieting, or starving, or exercising, Calories go first, then carbs, followed by fat and then followed by muscle. think about it, if you starved yourself for a couple of days and y0ur muscles went first, that includes your heart, which is a muscle, then you couldn't live. how would these lost hikers survive for thirty days without food.... when dieting or starving, your muscles go last..... if you decide to starve yourself, this will do nothing, your body will go into survival mode and hold on to you fat longer so it has something to burn, this is how lost hikers survive, thier bodies hold onto fat and metabolism slows down. starving yourself or eating a whole lot less is not the way to lose weight. you need a low fat diet, limited calories, exercise, with plenty of water and sleep......

Notice I said muscle goes first for the first couple of days, until the body enters Ketosis. Secondly, notice the rate of fat burn, from 2lbs per day down to about 1lb per day thereafter. Thats due to the "starvation mode" you talk about.

To say that fasting will do nothing seems to be at odds with your other statement about the hikers being able to survive by using their fat stores! Without doubt, fasting will help you lose fat. I agree with your sentiment that it is does not replace eating well, exercising and portion/calorie control.

Notice I said muscle goes first for the first couple of days, until the body enters Ketosis. Secondly, notice the rate of fat burn, from 2lbs per day down to about 1lb per day thereafter. Thats due to the "starvation mode" you talk about.

To say that fasting will do nothing seems to be at odds with your other statement about the hikers being able to survive by using their fat stores! Without doubt, fasting will help you lose fat. I agree with your sentiment that it is does not replace eating well, exercising and portion/calorie control.

Ok i pretty much agree, but in general, when dieting or starving, muscles do not get burnt or used up first. The body slows down to starvation mode and enters ketosis at about 48 hours without food. body saves as much sugar or glycogen, glucagon storage it can in the liver for use in the brain, which is most important. the body will burn itself including fat and muscle through the krebs cycle when adequate nutrition and calories are not there for energy.

these 48 hour popular diet tv stars do, just cuts water weight and is not health for your body, also you do not keep the weight off for any period of time, since are bodies are 75 percent water, it is easy to not drink anything, become dehydrated and cut that percentage down to 50%.

but like you said, there is no easy or tricky way to lose wieght, less calories in, makes for a good run at losing weight. or you can buy some cheap meth, like the tv stars also do, do on a meth binge for a month or two, and cut your weight in half and look like a peice of trash. not what I recommend

Ok i pretty much agree, but in general, when dieting or starving, muscles do not get burnt or used up first. The body slows down to starvation mode and enters ketosis at about 48 hours without food. body saves as much sugar or glycogen, glucagon storage it can in the liver for use in the brain, which is most important. the body will burn itself including fat and muscle through the krebs cycle when adequate nutrition and calories are not there for energy.

these 48 hour popular diet tv stars do, just cuts water weight and is not health for your body, also you do not keep the weight off for any period of time, since are bodies are 75 percent water, it is easy to not drink anything, become dehydrated and cut that percentage down to 50%.

but like you said, there is no easy or tricky way to lose wieght, less calories in, makes for a good run at losing weight. or you can buy some cheap meth, like the tv stars also do, do on a meth binge for a month or two, and cut your weight in half and look like a peice of trash. not what I recommend

I would never recommend a short 2-3 day fast for weight loss. It's relatively pointless - unless you're getting used to sensations for a longer fast.

Anyway, I think we pretty much agree on the best long term approach to weight loss!