upper limit vs. universal heli

I am in Utah and have been researching schools around here. I am living in Provo and there are three schools here. I went to silver state heli and liked the school but I have heard to many "bad" things about them to even take a risk with. So now it is between upper limit and universal. I have talked to both and was happy with the way they both treated me. I guess what I want is some people that have experience in these schools and to who thinks which one is best.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Utah and have been researching schools around here. I am living in Provo and there are three schools here. I went to silver state heli and liked the school but I have heard to many "bad" things about them to even take a risk with. So now it is between upper limit and universal. I have talked to both and was happy with the way they both treated me. I guess what I want is some people that have experience in these schools and to who thinks which one is best.

I trained at universal. The training was fairly good until five months later when the school has all of the students money. Once they have all the students money they push them off to the side while they are working on new students. The sad thing is they tell students that they can get you done in six months with all of your ratings and be working for them for $20 an hour or more. For some, $20 an hour would double their salary. Who wouldn't want to double their salary in only six months. It is not uncommon for students to spend upto $130,000 for their training. This amount does not include the uvsc program which is $17,000 and going up every year. I also looked over my statement of which I asked for many times and finally received it after the money was all gone, I noticed that I was over charged from the instructors the very first day. They charged me for 13 hours for the day. So what they are saying is I was at the school from 8 am - 9 pm. I was even charged for taking a lunch. After going over the statement with a fine tooth comb, the over charges total close to $5,000. I have brought this to their attention and still have yet to be reinburst. The cost of ground school fluctuates from $50- $65 an hour even on the same day.

I hope this is helpful for you. If you would like I can pm documents to you to prove it.

There is also a school in Spanish Fork.

I trained at universal. The training was fairly good until five months later when the school has all of the students money. Once they have all the students money they push them off to the side while they are working on new students. The sad thing is they tell students that they can get you done in six months with all of your ratings and be working for them for $20 an hour or more. For some, $20 an hour would double their salary. Who wouldn't want to double their salary in only six months. It is not uncommon for students to spend upto $130,000 for their training. This amount does not include the uvsc program which is $17,000 and going up every year. I also looked over my statement of which I asked for many times and finally received it after the money was all gone, I noticed that I was over charged from the instructors the very first day. They charged me for 13 hours for the day. So what they are saying is I was at the school from 8 am - 9 pm. I was even charged for taking a lunch. After going over the statement with a fine tooth comb, the over charges total close to $5,000. I have brought this to their attention and still have yet to be reinburst. The cost of ground school fluctuates from $50- $65 an hour even on the same day.

I hope this is helpful for you. If you would like I can pm documents to you to prove it.

I work for a school in spanish fork, Utah Helicopter... we are opening a new location at Salt Lake #2 Airport in the next few weeks.

If you are interested in finding out more, call our office @ 801-794-2480... I can arrange to meet you sometime if you like...

You could stop by our office @ 1350 North Main Street, Spanish Fork...

D

I too trained at universal. I have had problems with them that have not been resolved. I never even thought to look over the only two statements that they grudgingly gave me. After doing so, I found numerous discrepancies. I was surprised at how many there were. The overcharges that they charged me total $4,600 just for flight and ground time. This does not include the $7,000 that disappeared from the loan.

Let me know what else you find out.

This kind of thing really bothers me. I tend to be pretty trusting - and at the same time I hate to insult people by implying that they cannot be trusted. Which is what you are saying when you ask for statements and what not. When I manage to get my loan I'm going to be after frequent statements for the duration - as a rule. I think everyone should be. If everyone were keeping track of this, maybe certain schools would not assume they can get away with it.

How do schools get away with this kind of crap and the big question

WHY DOES THE INDUSTRY PUT UP WITH IT????

Excellent Question..... The reason I think is because UVSC is involved. With them involved you wouldn't think that the school would take money from the students. However, after talking to UVSC, they say they have nothing to do with this or any helicopter school. That's strange because they are still doing business with uhi.

Thank you everyone for your input. Hey DeezNutz, you failed to mention your name. I looked up schools in Spanish Fork and found Suncrest Helicopters? Then I typed that in to look at your web sight. It came up as no longer available. Do you have another web sight or even a web sight at all?

I went to the Universal in Phoenix, AZ to talk to some intructors there and maybe snatch a student that was walking around. I got there a little late and found a instructor getting a student ready for solo. I pulled him aside and talked to him. Then he took me in side and showed me around. I mentioned to the instructor about talking to his student when he got back from his solo flight. I soon realized that our conversation finished quickly and I felt like I was ran out of the door, and they used they excused they they where leaving. But the instructor had to wait for his student? That was kind of a bummer because everything else went well. I talked to one of the assistant owners, I can't remember his name, but he seemed like a good guy. I am not planning on attenting that school but I figured if Unversal in Phoenix was good then the one in Provo would be similar. I don't know but this is so hard. I mean when I hear the good news about universal or any school it is great. But then i hear the bad and that would suck paying for something that I really didn't do. I mean there is basically a 50 50 chance. Either I get riped off or concur the whole thing in 6 to 9 months with my liscense and the whole nine yards. So what i am getting at is I have almost come to the conclusion that there is that HUGE risk that I/everyone hast to take in spending all the money to become a helicopter pilot and do something we all love, and that there really isn't a dang school anywhere that I can trust. I just wish that there would be someone that I could trust 100 percent. But I am finding it impossible. Or am I wrong? I just wanna bust my ass and get it all done so I can start building my hours to a thousand for the little jobs then hopefully up and up and up. The balloon affect (haha).

I wrote my first message when I was in utah. I failed to mention I live in nothern Arizona. It is a ten hour drive and I drove up there to check out schools. But I only checked out one school and I got hooked. I thought I had a descision made then I fould this websight. It was Silver State Helicopters. There is no dang way I am gonna take a risk with them. I am kinda upset at myself now because I didn't look at any other schools and basically waisted a 10 hour car trip.

But thank you everyone. I am definently going to look into the school in Spanish Fork. I will be calling you guys soon. But if you have any other info for me you could write it to my email. cospey2@hotmail.com

No I really want to move to Utah. But if nothing works out with the schools I will stay here.

Dude..my advice is to stay where you are and go to Guidance...if theres nothing but good reports for that school you are saving money in ALOT of ways...trust me the grass is always greener on the other side...im from oklahoma and i just HAD to move to california....its best when you stay where you are and save the money bro...good luck either way!

josh

Thank you everyone for your input. Hey DeezNutz, you failed to mention your name. I looked up schools in Spanish Fork and found Suncrest Helicopters? Then I typed that in to look at your web sight. It came up as no longer available. Do you have another web sight or even a web sight at all?

I went to the Universal in Phoenix, AZ to talk to some intructors there and maybe snatch a student that was walking around. I got there a little late and found a instructor getting a student ready for solo. I pulled him aside and talked to him. Then he took me in side and showed me around. I mentioned to the instructor about talking to his student when he got back from his solo flight. I soon realized that our conversation finished quickly and I felt like I was ran out of the door, and they used they excused they they where leaving. But the instructor had to wait for his student? That was kind of a bummer because everything else went well. I talked to one of the assistant owners, I can't remember his name, but he seemed like a good guy. I am not planning on attenting that school but I figured if Unversal in Phoenix was good then the one in Provo would be similar. I don't know but this is so hard. I mean when I hear the good news about universal or any school it is great. But then i hear the bad and that would suck paying for something that I really didn't do. I mean there is basically a 50 50 chance. Either I get riped off or concur the whole thing in 6 to 9 months with my liscense and the whole nine yards. So what i am getting at is I have almost come to the conclusion that there is that HUGE risk that I/everyone hast to take in spending all the money to become a helicopter pilot and do something we all love, and that there really isn't a dang school anywhere that I can trust. I just wish that there would be someone that I could trust 100 percent. But I am finding it impossible. Or am I wrong? I just wanna bust my ass and get it all done so I can start building my hours to a thousand for the little jobs then hopefully up and up and up. The balloon affect (haha).

I wrote my first message when I was in utah. I failed to mention I live in nothern Arizona. It is a ten hour drive and I drove up there to check out schools. But I only checked out one school and I got hooked. I thought I had a descision made then I fould this websight. It was Silver State Helicopters. There is no dang way I am gonna take a risk with them. I am kinda upset at myself now because I didn't look at any other schools and basically waisted a 10 hour car trip.

But thank you everyone. I am definently going to look into the school in Spanish Fork. I will be calling you guys soon. But if you have any other info for me you could write it to my email. cospey2@hotmail.com

Take your time looking for a school, it will be worth it. Inverted911 makes a good statement when saying watch your money, but it is difficult when it is not in your hands and in uhi's hands. Also, have you noticed that everyone who has something good to say about a school like uhi, their comments are short and does not give any examples or any other info. They just say they are good. I have every bit of proof to prove otherwise about them.

Eventhough I will probably be going to HAI in Florida Guidance ran a REAL close second. more than worth checking into. If I had the option of training near home with an outfit like that I think waiting to move would be well worth it.

My opinion only

rock on

Dude..my advice is to stay where you are and go to Guidance...if theres nothing but good reports for that school you are saving money in ALOT of ways...trust me the grass is always greener on the other side...im from oklahoma and i just HAD to move to california....its best when you stay where you are and save the money bro...good luck either way!

josh

Guidance is two hours from where I live now. I live in showlow, az if anyone has heard of it. So I will haft to move there also. I will need to move no matter what. Guidance is the closest then all the schools in Phoenix. But i agree with danter. I hear its good but why? I can't find anything on this sight about them.

After calling multiple schools and calling many finance companys. I have come to the conclusion that I am just gonna find the school that has the best people because it would suck if i couldn't get along with my instructor. Find one that will help me succeed the most. Then find a school that I have the best chances at getting hired as a cfi so i can build my hours. After talking to alot of people about it, it woud be best to just pay as I go. I can get a loan from lets say sally may(i hope that is how you spell it), they are the best financial company for someone at my age (20). Then I put the money in a seperate bank account then pay weekly. If I feel like I am getting ripped off or if something isn't going well then I will pick up, finish off what I owe them and then go to another school. That way I control my money. Easy as that. Good idea or bad?

Great Idea and exactly how you should do it and I have found that most good schools set up your financing. The best way your gonna find the best school (for you.....key word you) is to ask questions and research research research. I have been doing it for over 3 months (and still doing it) I think I have made up my mind but till the (first) check is handed over ya knever know.

Good luck and

Rock on

After calling multiple schools and calling many finance companys. I have come to the conclusion that I am just gonna find the school that has the best people because it would suck if i couldn't get along with my instructor. Find one that will help me succeed the most. Then find a school that I have the best chances at getting hired as a cfi so i can build my hours. After talking to alot of people about it, it woud be best to just pay as I go. I can get a loan from lets say sally may(i hope that is how you spell it), they are the best financial company for someone at my age (20). Then I put the money in a seperate bank account then pay weekly. If I feel like I am getting ripped off or if something isn't going well then I will pick up, finish off what I owe them and then go to another school. That way I control my money. Easy as that. Good idea or bad?

That's the best way to do it... any school that wants you to pay for more than a few weeks worth of training in advance should be carefully considered. I am happy to see that people are doing their homework now... :)

D

FYI, none of the student loan places (Sallie Mae, career express) will give YOU the money. They will give the money to the school. I'm assuming it because they don't want you to use the money for anything other than your schooling. If you want to pay as you go, you'll have to do some other form of loan.

FYI, none of the student loan places (Sallie Mae, career express) will give YOU the money. They will give the money to the school. I'm assuming it because they don't want you to use the money for anything other than your schooling. If you want to pay as you go, you'll have to do some other form of loan.

Still does not give the schools the right to spend your money, then kick you out when you run out of funds when you only have your private. The schools should not have control over the students money.

Still does not give the schools the right to spend your money, then kick you out when you run out of funds when you only have your private. The schools should not have control over the students money.

Absolutely not. Even though they have the money, it's still yours. This is why it's very important to make sure the school you choose is responsible. Not only should you be charged accurately, but if the school goes under, you want to ensure that they will refund your unused monies back to the loan company. Also, if you leave the school, unused money should be refunded to the loan program so it can be applied to a new school, assuming the lender approves of the new school.

Ok FauxZ,

Obviously you know about this finance stuff. I understand that the loan company wouldn't let me handle the money for myself. So what about a third party that will watch the money for me and pay them every so often? But I don't know if I agree that I will haft to just give the school all my money up front. There are actually some schools that don't want that. I bet every school will be ok with me paying them as I go.

Don't mean to be too misleading, I'm certainly no expert. When I was looking at student loans, the loan company would pay a set amount to the school I choose to attend. IIRC there were limitations to what they would pay, and how often etc etc. True, the whole sum of the loan does not go to them all at once, but they will not give anyone other than the school you are attending any money.

For what it's worth, I decided to do a home equity loan so I had better control over my money. As many on this forum have stated, putting your house up to pay for your training is very risky business. I'm very fortunate that the housing boom in the southwest has given me the equity to make this a realistic solution. I'm going off of what I was told when I was initially looking into the student loan path. I'm hoping someone with more direct experience might chime in. My statements on the matter might best be used for you to ask the right questions rather than get the right answers. ;)