Anyone ready for a swim?

Guest rookie101

Has anyone considered that this could be some type of patrol? I'd imagine that irrigation canals like this one are pretty important to farmers and structural integrity/ silt blockage is a big deal. My point is, we dont know exactly whats going on, so to dismiss this pilot as an irresponsible hot dogger off-hand is unfair.

I read all of the posts to date and then watched the video...what's the deal?! I expected some hair raising maneuvers at the edge of the envelope. I see no laws broken. With proper training, experience, and a thorough recon the flight looked fine to me. Having said that, I do not fly in that manner myself. My personal limits are a little different.

Instead of worrying about this particular flight and the pilot's perceived (by some) errors, we should all step back and think how we can make our next flight safer, whether it's around the pattern, slinging in the H-V, or low-level ag spraying. Each one of us uses a helicopter in a different way. What is unthinkable to one, is an every day occurrence for another.

Watching this video is not going to cause a low-time helicopter pilot to do the same. The feedback given by an instructor will have the biggest influence. An irresponsible CFI may use this video to show how "cool" helicopter flying can be. A responsible CFI would use this video to point out some of the possible "gotchas" of flying this way.

ten seconds of Googling results in owner registration info... I wonder if Mr. Donovan's insurance company has seen the video :blink: .

N221LE is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 3971 Type Registration Co-Owner

Manufacturer Name ROBINSON HELICOPTER Certificate Issue Date 06/27/2006

Model R22 BETA Status Valid

Type Aircraft Rotorcraft Type Engine Reciprocating

Pending Number Change None Dealer No

Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 50362667

MFR Year 2005 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

Name DONOVAN DAN P

Street 5051 TEPUSQUET RD

City SANTA MARIA State CALIFORNIA Zip Code 93454-9548

County SANTA BARBARA

Country UNITED STATES

blave,

congratulations, you are super detective, you are up there with sherlock homes... you are so cool to be able to look up heli's info and post it on public site for safe flying. all in ten seconds, wow, i want to be like you when I grow up. hey i got an Idea, maybe you should call mr. donavan's insurance company and let them in on the little secret you found..... gosh you are a genious....

We should elect you to be our helicopter saftey patrol, you could make this a full time job, finding people who are flying, who you know nothing about, and try to get them in trouble for doing nothing wrong.....

On a serious note blave, you are really an idiot, a no good worthless peice of dog crap. what does it benifit for you to post this guys info when you know nothing about the flight, job, insurance company or anything. you are just showing how stupid you really are. " make sure your brain is loaded before you shoot off you mouth"" you can argue whether this video was safe or not, but threatning a guys insurance and posting the owners name, that is just ass-nine, I cant beleive how immature you acted, oh well you cant fix stupid, so i wont even try.......

DLO,

Thank you for your comments.

Warmly,

Dave.

blave,

congratulations, you are super detective, you are up there with sherlock homes... you are so cool to be able to look up heli's info and post it on public site for safe flying. all in ten seconds, wow, i want to be like you when I grow up. hey i got an Idea, maybe you should call mr. donavan's insurance company and let them in on the little secret you found..... gosh you are a genious....

We should elect you to be our helicopter saftey patrol, you could make this a full time job, finding people who are flying, who you know nothing about, and try to get them in trouble for doing nothing wrong.....

On a serious note blave, you are really an idiot, a no good worthless peice of dog crap. what does it benifit for you to post this guys info when you know nothing about the flight, job, insurance company or anything. you are just showing how stupid you really are. " make sure your brain is loaded before you shoot off you mouth"" you can argue whether this video was safe or not, but threatning a guys insurance and posting the owners name, that is just ass-nine, I cant beleive how immature you acted, oh well you cant fix stupid, so i wont even try.......

DLO,

I have no idea whether your spelling of "accepted" is intentional. At any rate - you said you want to be just like me, Sherlock Home's Smarter Brother, when you grow up. To that end - because I'm in a generous mood on this fine Saturday evening, I am going to let you in on the little secret I used to glean the sordid facts about the R22's owner. Please follow along, and take notes as needed:

1. watch the YouTube video closely

2. copy down N number, at the point that the cameraperson stupidly points the camera back at the a/c's tail

3. type N number into Google

4. Follow the first link and immediately get the result, which is what I copied/pasted into the post.

I would never post confidential information about any pilot and/or aircraft owner on a forum or any other web-accessible resource. Neither you or I have any control over publicly available information, despite the fact that it certainly vexes me and probably you how much information there is on the web. So get over your bad self already.

with kind regards,

John Holmes

Super Detective

dave

your thank you is warmly excepted,

sincerly, dlo

Sorry I got to agree with dlo on this one and I think you missed the point of his satirical rant. It's not that the information was secrete or private it's that you are an A*s for pointing it out.

Point proven by your lame spelling correction, I guess we should all be as purrfect as U.

Rock on

Wow, this thread has certainly taken a turn!

DLO and Jacko, you are right. There was not much benefit to posting the details of this aircraft as Blave did....but by the same token, what is the harm?! It's public information.

I did exactly the same thing myself...(looked up the owner details) Just to see if I could work out which operation it was. I'm sure many others did so too. So Blave was simply cutting out the 'search' part of everyone's natural curiosity!

So did it really warrant the stamping of feet and the name calling?

Actually the owner details tell you little about the operator, as it could be a lease.

you can argue whether this video was safe or not, but threatning a guys insurance and posting the owners name, that is just ass-nine,

I'm not sure how posting this guy's details is 'threatening his insurance'. Again its public information. Moreover, if it is a breach of his insurance policy, then maybe the owner should be informed in some way or another....?

Guys, there are some issues which may deserve calling someone names....this was not one of them.

So I suggest we cool things here.

Joker

P.S. Blave,

Having a go at DLO's poor spelling is really a cheap shot! Don't lower yourself to that!

P.S. Blave,

Having a go at DLO's poor spelling is really a cheap shot! Don't lower yourself to that!

Thank you (really) for a whiff of sanity here.

re: spelling - I honestly didn't know if DLO was being clever by mis-spelling "accepting" - the "art" of spelling has gone out the window over the last ten or twenty years (in the US anyway) so I'm never sure. So if that was an honest misteak (sic), my apologies to DLO and to the community for trying to be clever.

I'm thnk I'm kind of done with this thread. That said, I have to admit I couldn't resist my last little dig - but really, what is a bit disheartening here is the hair trigger that some forum members seem to be on. I posted information that (as I sarcastically pointed out, and that you also touched on) is available to anyone that has half a brain and two fingers to type with (maybe only one, if you're patient :) ).

I would be thankful if we could get back to the business of talking about flying, and about trying not to get "kilt" in the process.

blue skies,

dB.

P.S. I will mention that my very first helicopter CFI, which I flew with in 1983, was killed along with two other people a couple years later, as a result of his hitting wires while flying low over water at high speed. (BO-105) The irony is that my first demo flight with him, in Baton Rouge two or three years prior, was at low altitude and reasonably high speed, following the trail of a river. It was really a fantastic experience, and it prompted me to learn to fly (which only took about 20 years for various reasons). More recently, a brand new CFI/R44 owner that I flew with in 2001 was killed about a year later along with his passenger while maneuvering at low altitude, over water in Alaska, at dusk. That very well could've been me, as he was running a time-building business with his R44 and I seriously considered taking that route. So anytime I see that sort of flying, the hairs on the back of my neck go up a bit.

blave,

The hair on top of my head has all fallen to the back of my neck and started growing again. You know, it's also taken on a grayish tint. I just don't understand. Was this the topic of this thread? I'm confused. Be safe. Be proud. Have fun.

Mike

If Mr. Donovan didn't want his insurance company to know about his flight, he shouldn't have been so stupid as to post it, or allow it to be posted, on YOU-TUBE. That site has thousands, if not millions, of times more traffic than this one does. Grow up, people.

Gee, maybe Mr. Donovan didn't post this video on YOU-tube. But what benefit does one gain by posting reg. owners info. who cares who's heli this was, I sure don't . I'm not the FAA video police, videos are posted for viewer enjoyment and nothing else. NOt for CSI to investigate FAA rules and fine people. bottom line, nobody know the purpose of this flight, nor the person, or that person's experience, so lets not jump to conclusions, whether or not this flight was safe and post owners name for further investigation or humiliation. I think the grown ups are the people just sitting back and watching the flight, not investigating it and trying to reason why......

Probably everyone who saw that video thought the same thing when he showed his tail number. Oops! I'm sure a lot of those people looked it up. However, only one person pasted the info into the forum. That is a d**khead move any way you slice it.

2 cents take it or leave it.

OK,

This is rediculous!

The people who are all saying that this flight was 'not that bad' and 'we shouldn't pass judgement' are all the ones who are saying that blave's posting of the copter's details is a cardinal sin!

Hold on, if it wasn't that bad a flight, then who gives whether his details (which are public information) are posted?

If you all are saying that he shouldn't have let his tail-number get shown...i.e...

Probably everyone who saw that video thought the same thing when he showed his tail number. Oops!

...then presumably you feel he has something to hide.

Well, if he has something to hide then why not post his details? If he hasn't got anything to hide, then what really is the big deal if someone posts his details?

Slightly hypocritical isn't it? By having a fit because his details were posted, is essentially saying that he was obviously doing something wrong...?

I can honestly say I have never flown a flight where I would be worried whether someone saw my tail number. I have nothing to hide.

However, only one person pasted the info into the forum.

SO WHAT!!!! As you said, everyone looked it up anyway. Its not the end of the world, and defintely doesn't warrant name calling such as d***head etc..etc..

Right, that's all from me. I'm going to get this thread closed, if it doesn't pick up.

Joker

OK,

Before I slip off this soap box into bed, one more thing....not necessarily the video we saw, but in general...

In the school yard, the snitch (tell-tale-tit) is looked down on. The law of the jungle prevails and children learn that there's a time and a place.

This industry which we call aviaiton is not the schoolyard. It is real-life. We are not talking about a schoolyard snitch here. Yes, hopefully, the school yard taught us the right time and wrong time.

It taught me that when dealing with real lives there is always a right time to uncover poor practice.

It may be one of my family that go for a trial flight with some cowboy-pilot one day, who goes and flies into the ground whilst trying to show off. A cowboy-pilot that could have been stopped before that accident, if only someone had the balls to 'snitch'.

Like I said in my post before, only those with something to hide need to worry when their details are posted all over the web. Those who don't have anything to hide, surely don't need support and justification from people in an internet forum such as this.

I say to all those new pilots, just entering into this industry...take it seriously from the start. Set yourself the highest standards from the start. Be more prudent, more careful, more anal from the start.

As you gain knowledge and understanding of the risks, you may look back at acts which you once thought acceptable and 'just good fun'and not worth snitching about, as now being totally worthy of telling. That's called wisdom.

Joker

It amazes me what people will say thru a box....

I wonder if they would talk to each other that way in person?

Maybe a review of Flingwings post is in order

fling posting

You do, and or will meet the people from this forum. I have.

Think about it ;)

Fly Safe

Clark B)

It amazes me what people will say thru a box....

I wonder if they would talk to each other that way in person?

It sure does amaze me at times how easy & convenient it is to be mean & obnoxious to people on the 'net. Altho, it's not the best medium for communication, sometimes its more powerful than a handshake or a hug. Who was it that said? "just be nice to each other" :)

Point taken Joker. I guess everyone gets a little angry reading these forums now and then, that was the first time I have succumb to it. I enjoy this forum as a resource for information, when future topics cross the line into heated debate or finger pointing I guess they lose their value and I need to stop reading or bite my tongue.