What's in a name?

Witch

A new problem has cropped up. Nick calls me "Chief", Mike calls me "Sky Captain", my brother calls me "Boomer", and others call me by my nickname "Witch". This has become confusing for me. Well, not really. But it does give me an excuse to solicit a callsign.

What I need is for ya'll out there to give me a callsign that I can use whilst flying. I'm looking for something unique, not stuff like "Maverick","Ice Man","Cougar", or anything else from "Top Gun" And no "Chilly Willy Milli Vanilli" either. Just something that I could use as a nickname in the flying world. I'd make this a contest but I have no prizes to offer like Coke, Pepsi, or Microsoft.

So how about it? Any ideas?

Later

Guest rookie101
A new problem has cropped up. Nick calls me "Chief", Mike calls me "Sky Captain", my brother calls me "Boomer", and others call me by my nickname "Witch". This has become confusing for me. Well, not really. But it does give me an excuse to solicit a callsign.

What I need is for ya'll out there to give me a callsign that I can use whilst flying. I'm looking for something unique, not stuff like "Maverick","Ice Man","Cougar", or anything else from "Top Gun" And no "Chilly Willy Milli Vanilli" either. Just something that I could use as a nickname in the flying world. I'd make this a contest but I have no prizes to offer like Coke, Pepsi, or Microsoft.

So how about it? Any ideas?

Later

Well, since your nickname is Witch why not something like Witchita :rolleyes: :lol:

Your callsign is the N number of the aircraft you're flying. Period. Unless you're in the Navy, which you obviously aren't.

Aw Gomer, take the fun out of it why dontcha? <_<

Why not have a callsign to identify those flying in a group, talking on the unicom, or even building comaraderi? I'm sure one will call "253RD, 718HT, Hey Steve, you know you gotta duck riding on your vertical fin?" Why not "Hamsterlicker, Boxcutter, There's a duck riding on your vertical fin." "Roger Boxcutter, he's a paying passenger. Hamsterlicker out."

Just another stupid idea I get every once-in-a-while. But still, I'd like a callsign, if for nothing else as a fun thing to do. I'm kinda liking "Sky Captain", but even that's a little silly for me. Besides, how many others are being referred to as "Sky Captain"? "Sky Lieutenant" maybe? I don't know.

Anyway,

Later

My experience is that "names" are inspired and unique. You'll pick one that "feels right", or be named by folks who know you. Patience, grasshopper... Don't whine when you get it, either. They're not always complimentary, at least not until you make it so.

For what it's worth, America West uses "Cactus" as their call sign (Cactus 1353) and I think I heard an F111 use "Fox" the other day. Not sure what the Apache behind me used a few months ago, but I remember it wasn't "Apache" because the controller asked him his type.

I think you should stick with Witch, you've made the name your own, certainly on helicopter forums, and if you get another nick in the future then so be it, but I don't think you will.

As other posters have said already, nicknames are better when they 'just happen' rather than someone trying to force themselves into one of their own choosing.

I got labelled English Bob when I worked in Florida. I had been back visiting family in England for a month, and I came back to work one of the yard hands, Frank, yelled out "Well God Damn it's English Bob!" (Unforgiven had been on TV the week before I guess) And it stuck. There are people that don't even know me as Steve (or Steven if you're my mother) and have always called me Bob.

I'd be interested to here how others get their names actually, were they picked for the need of an internet sign in? or are you known to the 'outside world'? Does bossman get called bossman in the hanger? Does Goldy have an excess of jewellery? Does Delorean own a stainless car?

Anyone got any interesting/funny anecdotes about names of their own or people they know?