Medical question

I was just wondering... on your 2nd class medical, does the FAA look at insurance proivder's records or anything or is it just the hospital records that accompany any "yes" answers on question 18?

I was just wondering... on your 2nd class medical, does the FAA look at insurance proivder's records or anything or is it just the hospital records that accompany any "yes" answers on question 18?

They look at information that "you" supply. If you put them in touch with your doctor or hospital, they will dig.

bossman

Consider the medical form an interrogation by lawyers, and follow the standard advice: tell the truth, but never answer a question you haven't been asked. In short, give the minimum amount of information you truthfully can get by with. If they ask for more, do the same. There is nothing on the form that mentions insurance companies, the FAA would have no reason to know if you even have insurance, and you would have no reason to tell them.

Make sure that all of your non aviation medical records don't hang you on something you have said. I once told a nurse "don't put this in my record, but,...", I was trying to be honest with the neurosurgeon so he could accuratley assess my progress. Well, she did and when the folks in Ok city saw that in my private records, they gave me a year off while they thought about my case. I didn't break any fars, didn't lie or hide anything on my medical application, but it looked like I was trying to hide something. If OK city wants to, they can drag your deal out as long as they want to.

Dot your I's, cross your t's, keep duplicates of everything, keep a record of every phone call or email that has to do with your case, contact AOPA if you are a member as they have a medical department to help you. Good luck and let us know how it is going.