Silver State Helicopters lawsuit Witnesses

HI, I am not a pilot, I am married to one. I had to jump into this conversation to add that I heard each and every single one of the statements in the first post of this thread when we visited Silver State. I wsa actually researching some stuff about SSH when I came across a link to this site, and this thread in particular. I must say they are truely the most deceitful, f**k wads I have ever had the mis-fortune of getting invlovedin my life. 12-18 months turned into almost 2 and 3/4 yrs. It has been a serious joke. They even expected my husband to take WEEKS off of work in order for them to grant him a scheduled spot for his CFI exam, saying that they needed to see commitment to the company and the test. I personally despise this company. At the school he attended the inappropriate study habits of some of the instructors and the female students, that were not only allowed, but paid, actually cause problems in marriages. In hind site I wish we were not almost $70,000 in debt for a job that pays a whopping f*cking $18 an hour IF you can keep your own schedule full. Now they wanna change the blocks from 2 hour to 1.5 hour blocks!!!! I am sickened by it. We were told he could go to work for them anywhere he wanted, because they were just so grand, wonderful, and busy, it is sh*t. He is STILL waiting for work. There are students there that I have personally heard staff say they will never hire, there is a student there with DIAGNOSED ADHD, that NO ONE will fly with they bounce him all over, because he is so out there in flight that no one wants to take him. I think it is just horrible what they do to people. The payment on our loan will be well over $600 a month and they do not even respomd to his applications they have had him put in at all there locations, and if you call and ask about open posting on their web, chiefs will tell ya they are holding those positions for THEIR grads ,not just SSH grads. So, I just wanted to add that. That is pretty much it. Except that I hope he gets a job before that loan has to be re-paid, and I that I hate to think of him doing the same thing to people as was done to us, but we are pretty much stuck now, he has to go where the work is, if he can find any!!!

Edited by 67november

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just opened a heliport here in Raleigh, NC. I have already been working on getting my private license and went to the seminar out of curiosity. xxxxx pretty much described about everything said. In fact I came on here to specifically investigate them as it did seem a bit "too good" and they are so much more expensive.

1. Airola: "Silver State Helicopters doesn't accept people into the program they can't hire” 2002-2006

2. Airola: “We do not train pilots to work for other companies” 2002-2006

3. Airola: “We have more work available than pilots to do the work” 2002-2006

4. Airola: “We have hired all but one of our graduates, that one wrecked a helicopter of ours” 2004-2006

5. Airola: “Our students are trained to become commercial pilots, through CFI, in 12-18 months.” 2002-2006

Heard all of these at the seminar (April or May 2007, not sure) from Airola, and at the end during a personal Q & A...

did some research (thank God)...

long story short...I'm getting ready for my solo flight at Pelican Flight School in FL and I pay as I go...

With all due respect, I'm not really interested in participating in a law suit...I found everything I needed to know online within the 1st 1/2hour of searching...I weighed both sides and made my decision to stay away...I'm sorry for what SSH's "practices" have done to some and encourage those who wish to pursue the company for damages to do so...In my honest opinion I believe SSH is a company that misleads. In addition, I believe any decision involving that kind of money...commands research and investigation.

My .02 cents...

I've been lurking here for over 6 months and came upon this post on the home page.

I worked for SSH in Las Vegas, NV and heard them all and was told them all behind closed doors. Matter fact the only reason I went to work for SSH was the promise of a benefit of learning to fly at a reduced rate. Staid the course for over 5 months and had the financial department move into the building where I sat all day.

The stories they would talk about people basically selling a kidney to live a dream made me mad. Every week I asked about the flight school, and every week I was blown off. I finally said enough was enough and went to a home theater install company that had a better pay check, which helped me land in the position I am in now.

I'd never send anyone to SSH unless it was through Utah College, other then that Jerry you eat a #@## < edited for my own sanity.

• 1 month later...

new to this forum.

Am interested in training to become helicopter pilot.

heard Silver States commercial on radio. Started checking it out when came across this site.

Thanks for the eye opener !

Now, question is, what should I do to pursue desire to become helicopter pilot?

Are there ANY legit training academies here in Dallas, TX. area that some of you might recomend ?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
new to this forum.

Am interested in training to become helicopter pilot.

heard Silver States commercial on radio. Started checking it out when came across this site.

Thanks for the eye opener !

Now, question is, what should I do to pursue desire to become helicopter pilot?

Are there ANY legit training academies here in Dallas, TX. area that some of you might recomend ?

Thanks.

Honestly if I were you, I'd try and pay for a few private lessons out of pocket before you commit to any sort of long term training.

It might cost you $300-400 of your hard earned cash but at least that way you know if you really like flying helicopters or not (and maybe also find out if the school is Full of "it" or not).

If you decide it's for you, great but you aren't into it to the tune of $70K!

I'll venture to say that if you can read and write and maybe talk to a few pilots about anything that confuses you (pilots love to show off what they know) then you don't really need "ground school" and a "package" deal to get your Private Pilot Rating.

All the books are available to download off the FAA website for FREE (printing them would kill a few trees but you could just use your PC to study). I think you can study and pass all the written exams and perhaps even pay for flight hours out of your own pocket as you go....Or if y ou have to take out a loan with a school, make sure it's one that actually is accredited so you can get a true "student" loan and the interest rate that goes with it.

I would strongly suggest you try to get your Private Pilot Rating done without getting into bed for a "package" deal, do it out of pocket if possible.

You really only need a CFI for instruction on a few basic maneuvers and of course you've got to meet the minimum flight hour requirements for a Private Pilot (see FAA website) so that you can go take a Check Ride with a DPE or FAA Examiner...You'll need a CFI to sign off saying that you're ready to take the test.

Other than the cost of the helicopter for the flight, you can take your Check Ride for Free with an FAA Examiner. You'll probably have to schedule an appointment well in advance but I no longer buy the the word on the street from SSH folks that the FAA examiners aren't as lenient as the DPE's (You have to pay whatever the DPE charges, usually $400 or so b/c he is like an Examiner for Hire). Maybe somebody can chime in on this b/c nobody's that I know has taken a Check Ride w/ an FAA Examiner. If you study and know your stuff then you'll do fine.

Once you're up to Commercial/Instrument/CFI levels is where it gets more complicated.

There's some food for thought anyway and I hope it helps.

Feel free to PM me and I'll help you out with advice or in any other way I can.

I don't want to see anyone else sign up with a school like SSH before they know what they're getting into!

Hind sight is 20/20, the deal sounded so good that he sold me on it...but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat so do some research and take your time.

By the way, any class action law suites going down against Jerry/SSH lately? B/c I seriously want in. ;)

Honestly if I were you, I'd try and pay for a few private lessons out of pocket before you commit to any sort of long term training.

It might cost you $300-400 of your hard earned cash but at least that way you know if you really like flying helicopters or not (and maybe also find out if the school is Full of "it" or not).

If you decide it's for you, great but you aren't into it to the tune of $70K!

I'll venture to say that if you can read and write and maybe talk to a few pilots about anything that confuses you (pilots love to show off what they know) then you don't really need "ground school" and a "package" deal to get your Private Pilot Rating.

All the books are available to download off the FAA website for FREE (printing them would kill a few trees but you could just use your PC to study). I think you can study and pass all the written exams and perhaps even pay for flight hours out of your own pocket as you go....Or if y ou have to take out a loan with a school, make sure it's one that actually is accredited so you can get a true "student" loan and the interest rate that goes with it.

I would strongly suggest you try to get your Private Pilot Rating done without getting into bed for a "package" deal, do it out of pocket if possible.

You really only need a CFI for instruction on a few basic maneuvers and of course you've got to meet the minimum flight hour requirements for a Private Pilot (see FAA website) so that you can go take a Check Ride with a DPE or FAA Examiner...You'll need a CFI to sign off saying that you're ready to take the test.

Other than the cost of the helicopter for the flight, you can take your Check Ride for Free with an FAA Examiner. You'll probably have to schedule an appointment well in advance but I no longer buy the the word on the street from SSH folks that the FAA examiners aren't as lenient as the DPE's (You have to pay whatever the DPE charges, usually $400 or so b/c he is like an Examiner for Hire). Maybe somebody can chime in on this b/c nobody's that I know has taken a Check Ride w/ an FAA Examiner. If you study and know your stuff then you'll do fine.

Once you're up to Commercial/Instrument/CFI levels is where it gets more complicated.

There's some food for thought anyway and I hope it helps.

Feel free to PM me and I'll help you out with advice or in any other way I can.

I don't want to see anyone else sign up with a school like SSH before they know what they're getting into!

Hind sight is 20/20, the deal sounded so good that he sold me on it...but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat so do some research and take your time.

By the way, any class action law suites going down against Jerry/SSH lately? B/c I seriously want in. ;)

OK have your beef with SSH, but until you know what you are talking about with flight training go easy on handing out the advice. You only need a CFI for a few basic maneuvers? Errrrrrrrrrrr........is that what it says in the FAR's?

A guy named Hog had a similar idea and his video is available on line for all to see.

As for the checkride you are examined to standard on the PTS. Period. The reason it is easier to get a ride with a DPE is because most of the FAA guys simply will not fly the R22.

Also another point is that no CFI worth his/her salt is going to endorse someone for a checkride who they have not done a substantial amount of ground and flight time with. An endorsement is a Federally binding document, that if abused, can get you into serious hot water.

Do us all a favor and don't try and encourage people to do half arsed training on the cheap. The consequences are horrible. If you continue long enough in this industry you will see what I mean.

Learning to fly starts with a solid initial base. Do not try and teach yourself and cut corners.

Edited by Vaqueroaero

So, how many of you posting to this thread are actually pilots who are currently working in the private sector? And why is SSH really getting such a bad rap? I read all the posts and bashings, but is there actual proof out there that people are being taken for a ride(sorry, no pun intended) other than heresay?

I want to become a helicopter pilot, and I do not care where I work. It has been a lifelong dream of mine. What are the actual costs to get the ratings to which SSH states?

And how long does it really take to get those said ratings? What is a realistic cost per hour for flying lessons?

It sounds like a person could chalk up $70K real fast regardless of SSH's claims to which several of you talk badly of.

Please do not take any of this wrong. I told my father I was thinking of going to SSH and he said google it and do some research first, and wouldn't you know that it takes me here first. So, if SSH is so bad what is a better school. I was choosing SSH because realistically it was very close to where I live and could be done after I get out of work at night.

What makes a helicopter school accredited? I really would rather get a real student loan, but not all helicopter training would be accredited, would it? Wouldn't it depend where you go? If some guy has his own flight school out of his own hangar it would, most likely, not be accredited. But does that make it any less legit?

And for that matter, what does make a legitimate school? I'm very curious, and want to make the right choices to realize my dream. My wife said I'm living a pipe dream if I think I will be a helicopter pilot, but I would be doing myself a great injustice to not try. From the sounds of it she may have been right if I went with SSH.

So help me out and fill me in with some much needed answers to my many questions. Thanks.

So help me out and fill me in with some much needed answers to my many questions. Thanks.

Why don't you just sign up with SSH, pay over your $70k and get on with it. You are their target market...uninformed and too lazy to do the research for yourself. It's your "lifelong dream" and you don't know how many hours are required or the cost involved? Have you ever flown anything...maybe you're prone to airsickness. And an "accredited" flight school, what's that?

Go ahead, listen to all the sales hype and believe you are going to be able to earn a paycheck as a pilot...right there in your own hometown no less...after just two hundred hours of flight training and a few classroom exams. Really, it is as easy as that (wink wink).

And for that matter, what does make a legitimate school? I'm very curious, and want to make the right choices to realize my dream. My wife said I'm living a pipe dream if I think I will be a helicopter pilot, but I would be doing myself a great injustice to not try. From the sounds of it she may have been right if I went with SSH.

Fry always has an interesting perspective, and your wife may have a valid point.

Before you get roped into a $70k commitment to a company with a questionable reputation; Why not go to a real flight school, and get a few hours of dual instruction?

Maybe learn to hover, or even solo before you plunge head first into something that might not be for you.

The problem with this kind of deal is they are selling you a potential product, where you have to put out all your money upfront before you can “test drive” so to speak what you are getting.

Would you spend $70k on a sports car without taking it for a test drive? No you wouldn’t but this outfit gets all your money before you even get to really find out if flying is for you. Remember they are selling you something you can’t get your money back!

Why not play it safe, and get some experience under your belt first?

You are not going to pull down $80,000 + with only your 200 hours or your 1,000 hours there is a queue of pilots with way more hours in front of you, also the insurers are going to be real careful about letting low hour pilots strap on a Million $ or two of helicopter.

Hull insurance private approx 10.000$ commercial 30.000$ for 500 in UK

is there actual proof out there that people are being taken for a ride(sorry, no pun intended) other than heresay?

Go to this local SSH you mentioned and ask some students that question. Not the CFI's or managers, just the students. No better place to get an honest answer is there? I met several SSH students at the Robinson course a while back, some of them were pretty pissed off people, but some of them were relatively satisfied.

Hell, this goes for any flight school you look at. Ask lots of questions of the people who are training there.

What are the actual costs to get the ratings to which SSH states? And how long does it really take to get those said ratings? What is a realistic cost per hour for flying lessons?

Vertical Reference has a pretty good search function. Take full advantage of it. This question has been answered many, many times. Besides, half the people on this board that are willing and able to give you good advice aren't even going to enter this thread to see your request because they're just sick of SSH threads.

It sounds like a person could chalk up $70K real fast regardless of SSH's claims to which several of you talk badly of.

You're right. $70k isn't an unfair price for student pilot thru CFII. It's the signed contract and the $70k up front that raises eyebrows.

Fry uses a very heavy stick to make his point, but he's dead-on right. SSH's marketing geniuses target the people who have the romantic "dream of flight" but who aren't willing to figure out what's best for them. That's not hearsay, just visit their website. I'm not bashing, SSH has worked for a lot of people. But like Weed said, $70k is no small amount and you need to do the research first. Who knows, in the end, SSH might actually be a great place for you, or it might not.

Edited by FlyingDodo

I'm a A & P and I just had a job fair at my school and SSH was their and they were looking for mechanics. I applied with them and ERA helicopters and I didn't know which one to go with. I was leaning more towards ERA. I just started doing research with both of them and I came across this thread. I am wondering if their ok to work with as a A & P. Just from this thread I'm thinking I should stay away.

I am intimate with the details of the Silver State situation. Some of the information I have come across comes from direct sources outside of this website. As far as working for them goes, several of their employees have said they were put into positions that compromised their integrity and were more or less forced to go along ripping people off or lose their jobs. I know they have historically been underequipped to provide training aircraft to meet demand. This would also mean that maintenance quality would suffer as there would be tremendous pressure on any mechanic required to certify the craft ready for flight.

Regarding the "Buyer Beware" philosophy espoused in prior posts - It's simply not so cut and dry. There are millions out there with different situations and you never know how the final decisions come about to choose Silver State. A young person fresh out of high school may not have the savy to properly evaluate the school before high pressure sales pitches, easy financing and promises of lucrative employment are laid before them. I know of a former SSH student who assumed the school was good because his employer was a current student there. (neither completed the training). Not for lack of trying. They simply could not schedule enough flight time.

If you buy a gallon of milk from a store and the expiration date says it should last a week, don't you have the right to return it if it spoils in a day? This is no different.

Very upset with Silver State. I was given a 4 month deadline. They said either you sign this contract or you are off the flight schedule. I told our GM Fred that I was not going to sign any contract without letting an attorney check it out because it's got lots of legal jargon.

My instructors took up to 26 months to get to CFI and I was told the recruiter of my work schedule being able to fly on weekends and he said like Jerry said this training is for the working man.

I can't remember how many times our helos were down or no instructor to fly with.Instructors only can fly 5 block a day and if they come in early then those of us that get out of work late can't fly.

I prepaid my training with a student loan and added an additional 5k for Turbine Transition ,long line CFI, Comm, Private andif am lucky I'll get my Comm only all else it now lost.

Our GM called me to the office and basically told me that we no longer have a contract and this is an extension. for 4 months and they were not responsible if its WX or the helo's being down for what ever reason were not responsible. Here is a bit of this contract

" Student understands that SSH may experience scheduling conflicts caused by lack of

available personnel or due to the maintanance and/or unavalability of helicopters or

caused by weather unsuitable for flight. In the event that SSH is unable to perform a

schedule training session Student will not be entitled to any form of compensation."

Airola: “Our students are trained to become commercial pilots, through CFI, in 12-18 months.” 2002-2006

I need to speak to Lawyer who specializes in Aviation as many of us are in the same predicament.

BennyA1@cox.net

To anyone who has witnessed the following statements (or variation of) during Silver State Helicopters employment opportunity seminars or anywhere else, please personal message me or email thesilverstatetruth@gmail.com with your contact information. If you know of ANY persons who can witness ANY of the following statements or actions, please inform them of this request immediately. Please specify exactly which statements, when, and where you witnessed them; any additional information is not needed at this time:

1. Airola: "Silver State Helicopters doesn't accept people into the program they can't hire” 2002-2006

2. Airola: “We do not train pilots to work for other companies” 2002-2006

3. Airola: “We have more work available than pilots to do the work” 2002-2006

4. Airola: “We have hired all but one of our graduates, that one wrecked a helicopter of ours” 2004-2006

5. Airola: “Our students are trained to become commercial pilots, through CFI, in 12-18 months.” 2002-2006

6. Anyone from SSH: "We will be a part 141 school soon"

7. Anyone from SSH: "We are a part 141 school"

8. Witnesses who vouch that SSH could not train a student within the advertised 12-18 months, extrapolation is relevant whether or not having stayed in the program the full 18 months.

9. Witnesses who vouch that SSH wrongfully accused a student of not attending class or scheduled flights. In accordance with their attendance policy, SSH should be able to provide a disciplinary statement signed by any student who misses a class or scheduled flight.

10. Witnesses who vouch that SSH alleged a students work schedule was prohibitive for their flight training progression, especially when this student's work-schedule was typical. SSH advertises: "nearly everyone enrolled in our program is a working adult...the sessions are designed to accommodate most every schedule"

11. Witnesses who vouch that SSH would, at times, impliment the infamous "deal-today, or no-deal at all" tactic on enrollees.

12. Witnesses who vouch that Silver State claimed it would transform training centers into commercial operations centers within a relatively short time-frame, while hiring the majority of its students as pilots in order to handle the excess of local helicopter work Silver State had supposedly acquired.

I need to speak to Lawyer who specializes in Aviation as many of us are in the same predicament.

BennyA1@cox.net

You don't need an aviation attorney, just one that deals with consumer and contract issues. They are all over the place but...win or lose...you will pay the bill. Basically though, you're screwed.

Very upset with Silver State. I was given a 4 month deadline. They said either you sign this contract or you are off the flight schedule. I told our GM Fred that I was not going to sign any contract without letting an attorney check it out because it's got lots of legal jargon.

My instructors took up to 26 months to get to CFI and I was told the recruiter of my work schedule being able to fly on weekends and he said like Jerry said this training is for the working man.

I can't remember how many times our helos were down or no instructor to fly with.Instructors only can fly 5 block a day and if they come in early then those of us that get out of work late can't fly.

I prepaid my training with a student loan and added an additional 5k for Turbine Transition ,long line CFI, Comm, Private andif am lucky I'll get my Comm only all else it now lost.

Our GM called me to the office and basically told me that we no longer have a contract and this is an extension. for 4 months and they were not responsible if its WX or the helo's being down for what ever reason were not responsible. Here is a bit of this contract

" Student understands that SSH may experience scheduling conflicts caused by lack of

available personnel or due to the maintanance and/or unavalability of helicopters or

caused by weather unsuitable for flight. In the event that SSH is unable to perform a

schedule training session Student will not be entitled to any form of compensation."

Airola: “Our students are trained to become commercial pilots, through CFI, in 12-18 months.” 2002-2006

BennyA1@cox.net

I can corroborate the stories of SSH being the killer of dreams. Well, let's fairly call Mr. Airola the attempted murderer of dreams. No one can kill your dream unless you let them.

My advice from behind enemy lines is to look elsewhere for your training. I made the error of signing up with a brand-newly opened location. BIG ERROR. Not that I should have known, Mr. Fry. I signed up a few years back, and there wasn't much to find on SSH then. I looked. I found a few complaints and brushed them off as malcontents, which you'll find anywhere.

SSH didn't sell a scenario they intended to service, they sold a pack of improbabilities, more commonly known as lies, based on a best-case scenario. Best flying weather all the time, plenty of aircraft available when you need them, multiple flight blocks available per week, the best CFI's who actually know how to instruct, a best job with a very flexible schedule and the best boss who will bend over backwards to accommodate your flight schedule. Personally, I don't know of anyone who has all these ducks in a row. Hindsight is 20/20, of course. I now know what to look for in a flight school.

BTW, it is to no one's benefit, Mr. Fry, for you to berate and criticize an aviation novice because he doesn't know something. Try using your experience and knowledge to help such people find the information they need.

I don't blame Mr. Airola for running a company that turns a profit, but I blame him and his company for boldly spoken fraudulent claims and negligent management at the highest corporate level. It all trickles down and taints the CFI's as well. The CFI's are generally good, decent people working for a dishonest company. All I've known are unhappy with the deceptive business practices of SSH but can't say so for fear of retribution.

These are my observations.

BTW, it is to no one's benefit, Mr. Fry, for you to berate and criticize an aviation novice because he doesn't know something. Try using your experience and knowledge to help such people find the information they need.

Didn't "berate and criticize" anyone. When I told the poster above looking for an attorney that he's screwed I was just telling him the truth. He signed SSH's contract...a onerous one-sided contract that only the uninformed and naive would sign...but a contract nonetheless. An attorney probably will not be able to help him and will cost him even more money.

As far as providing information goes...SSH is a marketing machine and people listen to a sales pitch because the salesman tells them what they want to hear. Contradictory information is generally not sought or disregarded when it is available. A simple reading of SSH's contract should tell anyone with the common sense necessary to pilot an aircraft that the terms are not in the best interests of the signor. But folks would rather listen to the salesman because his message is all gum drops and cotton candy. That's why they bought dot.com stocks, got subprime mortgages and borrow $70k to give to SSH to "live their dream".

There's a lot more than one born everday.

It has come to my attention that many people responding to this request do not want to provide their contact information in spite of various forms of potential retaliation by Silver State Helicopters and/or Jerry Airola.

I assure all witnesses who are currently in Silver States program that their contact information can and will be kept confidential between the Courts and I. If others not in the program do not want their identity divulged I can only provide assured protection if that person can give the Court a reason of how they would be threatened if their contact information is revealed to Silver State Helicopters and Jerry Airola.

You must provide at least your full name and working telephone number. I am forced to verify everyones contact information.

Since most of those who attend SSH Academy are there to become employed, and the staff holds that over your head, you will find it difficult to get anyone who is still attending this school to comply with your requests. You are not treated as a paying student, you are treated as a low level employee that is expendable. I, on the other hand, just want to get my rating and move on with my life. Getting my ratings has been a long time desire of mine and I will do this. Would I like to work as a Commercially Rated pilot? HELL YES!! But I am being realistic. Besides, why do I want to give up my $36 per hour M-F job to work 6 days per week, 12 hours per day for a company who threatens to fire you for looking at the helicopter the wrong way? And for less annually than I make sitting in my air-conditioned business office....

I emailed my info to you. Call me.