Is msfs of any use in learning to fly helicopters?

I have been a fixed wing pilot for several years and have used Microsoft flight simulator as a great tool to keep up on my instrument proficiency. I find it a great tool even though it has its limitations. Now that I am moving into helicopters (first lesson this coming wednesday, R44) I have been messing around with MSFS helicopters. How useful of a tool is this for learning VFR helicopter flying? ANyone out there use it. WIth a set of torque pedals and a joystick it is definatly a challenge. I guess I will find out how useful it is after I fly dual for a few lessons and have something to compare real flight to. Any input would be great.

Edited by napalm

I have been a fixed wing pilot for several years and have used Microsoft flight simulator as a great tool to keep up on my instrument proficiency. I find it a great tool even though it has its limitations. Now that I am moving into helicopters (first lesson this coming wednesday, R44) I have been messing around with MSFS helicopters. How useful of a tool is this for learning VFR helicopter flying? ANyone out there use it. WIth a set of torque pedals and a joystick it is definatly a challenge. I guess I will find out how useful it is after I fly dual for a few lessons and have something to compare real flight to. Any input would be great.

It can actually be very useful if you know what your doing. The default helicopters are pretty much useless. You have to find the correct addons. Go to www.hovercontrol.com and look for the Hovercontrol Bell 412. Practice basic flying, hovering, ect. with that and you will be ahead of the game. I play with that and the Dodosim Bell 206 in between flights. It definately improves my flying. The Dodosim 206 isn't free, but the hovercontrol 412 is. The 206 is pretty amazing. It has realistic start procedures, LTE, VRS, pretty decent autorotations, fairly realistic torque effects, ect.