CFII salaries

I was talking with one of the local heli schools. When asking about jobs after the training they claim to pay thiere instructors 1000 per week. This makes 48k year ( which from what I gather is close to what you should be making after your 1000 hours). Has anyone else recieved rates like this. There school is a little more expensive, but if I have a chance of getting a job like that right out of training, it might be worth the extra money for schooling.

Otherwise I was thinking he might have more experienced trainers that stick around for this salary and there is no way to get that job since they wont be moving on at any time, or he is telling me that to give me more motivation to go to his program then tell me there are no opening for CFII when I finish.

I was talking with one of the local heli schools. When asking about jobs after the training they claim to pay thiere instructors 1000 per week. This makes 48k year ( which from what I gather is close to what you should be making after your 1000 hours). Has anyone else recieved rates like this. There school is a little more expensive, but if I have a chance of getting a job like that right out of training, it might be worth the extra money for schooling.

Otherwise I was thinking he might have more experienced trainers that stick around for this salary and there is no way to get that job since they wont be moving on at any time, or he is telling me that to give me more motivation to go to his program then tell me there are no opening for CFII when I finish.

I did the math and $1,000 per week comes out to $25. per hour for 40 hours. That's a good salary! But don't think you're going to get it--for a couple reasons. It is highly unlikely that a flight school--with narrow profit margins anyways--will pay you for 8 hours work a day whether you do it or not. It's possible, but unlikely. Secondly, the most likely scenario is that you only get paid when you are with a student, and it takes about a 12-hour day to get 8 hours billable.

Assuming the claim is true, especially at $25/hr, you may be an independent contractor. If this is the case, then you have to pay normal taxes plus self-employment tax and benefits for yourself. Your $48k / yr is dwindling quickly!

If it's really true, let me know. I might like to work there.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

I did the math and $1,000 per week comes out to $25. per hour for 40 hours. That's a good salary! But don't think you're going to get it--for a couple reasons. It is highly unlikely that a flight school--with narrow profit margins anyways--will pay you for 8 hours work a day whether you do it or not. It's possible, but unlikely. Secondly, the most likely scenario is that you only get paid when you are with a student, and it takes about a 12-hour day to get 8 hours billable.

Assuming the claim is true, especially at $25/hr, you may be an independent contractor. If this is the case, then you have to pay normal taxes plus self-employment tax and benefits for yourself. Your $48k / yr is dwindling quickly!

If it's really true, let me know. I might like to work there.

Jeff

He told me it was a 1000/wk salary. did not mention hours or anything else. The difference is that most schools in the area are charging ~50k for school while this guy charges ~65-70. So he would probably get the extra pay from there to pay his CFII extra money. But its only words, as he cant gaurantee a job with him at the end. So I probably wont take the chance. 20k extra is a lot, but not if you can land a job paying 10-15k more a year. IMO anyways

He told me it was a 1000/wk salary. did not mention hours or anything else. The difference is that most schools in the area are charging ~50k for school while this guy charges ~65-70. So he would probably get the extra pay from there to pay his CFII extra money. But its only words, as he cant gaurantee a job with him at the end. So I probably wont take the chance. 20k extra is a lot, but not if you can land a job paying 10-15k more a year. IMO anyways

The hours I stated were merely hypothetical. The reality is that you won't get that much money from them. It sounds like a ploy to get you to enroll in the school. A local EMS company pays $48k per yr to start an SIC with 2500 hours in a helicopter; don't count on it from a flight school.

What is the name of the school you're talking about? There have been some threads on here about Silver State Helicopters. Just curious.

Ummmm....... The last time I looked at a calendar, there are 52 weeks in a year.

I don't know about this school, but that seems like a rather high salary for a low-time CFII. Starting salary for a pilot in the oil patch is less than $50k, with an instrument ticket and 1000 hours required. True, the working conditions in the oil patch aren't that great, but there seems to be some disparity.

A salary of $1k per week sounds a bit high, especially when you have weeks that you might barely fly due to weather. Granted, you could do some ground training to get billable hours for the school, but it just seems a bit high at $52k a year for an instructor gig.

Just my two-cents.

Doug

Ramen is not a good diet long-term. And not that cheap, either. Lentils are about 50 cents a bag, cook in about 30 minutes, and are very nutritious and taste good. Add some onion and garlic, maybe a bay leaf, some hot sauce, pair it with some rice, and you have a decent meal for very little money. A bottle of Sriracha hot sauce will last for months and only costs about $5, and improves the taste of almost anything.

Ramen is not a good diet long-term. And not that cheap, either. Lentils are about 50 cents a bag, cook in about 30 minutes, and are very nutritious and taste good. Add some onion and garlic, maybe a bay leaf, some hot sauce, pair it with some rice, and you have a decent meal for very little money. A bottle of Sriracha hot sauce will last for months and only costs about $5, and improves the taste of almost anything.

Sounds good, guess i know what i'm having for dinner!! ;)

Also, don't forget it's chili season!! Some ground beef and tomatoes with a few spices and you're good for quite a few meals...

Just use the chili spices in beans or lentils, and you have chili. Not chili con carne, but close enough. Using spices judiciously is very important for making any food palatable. The right spices, especially including chili peppers, fresh, dried, or in a sauce, can make all the difference. I have several chili pequin bushes in my back yard, and I love them, although they're about 1000 times hotter than jalapenos. They're just about equivalent to habaneros, but only about the size of a pea. One goes a long way, and I also pickle them, using the vinegar in beans. Adding a little vinegar to beans is one of the best things you can do, and if it also provides heat, even better.

In case you haven't figured it out, I like spicy food, and especially peppers. More vitamin C than citrus fruits, and the capsaicin is also good for you.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Witch is right - it sounds exactly like Silver State - in fact, that's one of ol' Jer's promises in the seminars (or at least is was at the one I attended more than a year ago)

Anyway, since this is in FL, unless one of the jobs is flying out to sling-load suspicious white powder from a ciggarette boat with the Columbian flag, I don't think ANY flight school can provide that kind of compensation to it's CFIs on any kind of regular basis.

My 2 cents,

-TechPilot