Highschool to flight school, almost done

Im in my senior year, always loved to fly. I am going to join the ARMY. I have already passed the asvab and the afast. I am going for the flight medical on dec 27. What else is going to be needed in terms of paperwork. I am reading about recommendations and such. Who is the best person(s) I should go to. Ex- parents, teachers, my boss etc, Also Do I have to wright any essays?

If you are wanting to go through the Warrant Officer program you need to get the latest reguirements from a recruiter or by looking on an Army website. Things change from time to time. As far as letters go , the more influencial the person the better. If you can get a letter of recomendation from one of your state gongressmen or a senator that would be best. Otherwise try someone from your local community.

cm,

Warrant Officer Recruiting: Civilian applicants

You will have to provide a copy of your high school and college diplomas and transcripts, references from no more than 6 of your closest friends in as high a position within the community as possible. Your references should include community service, volunteer work, character, physical ability, scholarly and leadership traits. You will have to complete a signed, one page, handwritten, narrative addressing the statement "Why I want to be an Army Aviator". No assistance in preparation of the paper is authorized other than the use of a dictionary. You will also be required to get a full-length photo in professional attire. Your packet will be forwarded to the recruiting battalion headquarters for review; they will convene a board of officers for you to appear before. Their recommendation and your application packet will be forwarded to the USAREC Selection Board. Once the USAREC Selection Board has adjourned and the results are approved, the recruiter will be notified of the results. If selected, you will have 10 days to go to the MEPS where you took your physical and enlist into the Army as a Warrant Officer Flight Training Candidate. You will not leave that day, you will be given a report date from 3 weeks to 12 months later. You can also find information on the Warrant Officer Flight Training program at goarmy.com
Any questions?

Ok Great, exactly what I was looking for. As for the recomendations is there a special outline that the person should follow or should it just be like one they write for college. Also I heard that its good to get a recommendation letter from a person high in the govt, for example a senator. How is it possible that they write a recommendation letter without knowing me. Should I right an letter to them telling about me and then ask them to right a letter for me? Also, for my "Why do I want to be an aviator" essay is there anything I should follow, Like a format.?

Also I heard that its good to get a recommendation letter from a person high in the govt, for example a senator. How is it possible that they write a recommendation letter without knowing me. Should I right an letter to them telling about me and then ask them to right a letter for me?

They are probably going to want to meet with you to make sure they aren't making a mistake when the send in that letter. It’s the same deal for people who want to go to the academies, the senators or whoever meets with everyone looking for a letter of recommendation and based on that interview, their either write one or they don't. For you, I would concentrate on people who really know you and speak to you character more than some guy who only met you for 10 minutes. However, try to get the meeting, and if it works out, it works out. If not, at least you have as many as 6 really great letters that paint an accurate picture of you.

Have you looked into the USARNG or are you set on active duty?

Edited by AndrewT

They are probably going to want to meet with you to make sure they aren't making a mistake when the send in that letter. It’s the same deal for people who want to go to the academies, the senators or whoever meets with everyone looking for a letter of recommendation and based on that interview, their either write one or they don't. For you, I would concentrate on people who really know you and speak to you character more than some guy who only met you for 10 minutes. However, try to get the meeting, and if it works out, it works out. If not, at least you have as many as 6 really great letters that paint an accurate picture of you.

Have you looked into the USARNG or are you set on active duty?

I havent looked at the USARNG, I dont even know what it is. So I am correct to say that there is no format that people have to follow to right this letter.

Your letters of recommendation will be more effective if they are from people who know you. Only if you don't have enough people, should you try and go for prestige and people who don't know you. When you've seen enough letters, you'll know the difference. Again, someone who knows you and can write a good letter makes your case better than someone who meets you and writes you a letter that sounds fake.

Ok Great, exactly what I was looking for. As for the recomendations is there a special outline that the person should follow or should it just be like one they write for college. Also I heard that its good to get a recommendation letter from a person high in the govt, for example a senator. How is it possible that they write a recommendation letter without knowing me. Should I right an letter to them telling about me and then ask them to right a letter for me? Also, for my "Why do I want to be an aviator" essay is there anything I should follow, Like a format.?

I hate to be a spelling Nazi on here, but since this is related to your topic, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be more careful writing your letters than you do your posts. Practice NOW to write things right.

Also, you never know who might be reading these forums.

Good luck.

I hate to be a spelling Nazi on here, but since this is related to your topic, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be more careful writing your letters than you do your posts. Practice NOW to write things right.

Also, you never know who might be reading these forums.

Good luck.

Yeah, now it's becoming common practice for employers, recruiters, etc to go back and search for their prospects on MySpace and Facebook. If they see a lot of pictures of you ferschnicker'd, I doubt you'll be getting the job.

Never put anything out on the internet that you wouldn't want your mother, girlfriend, boss, priest, etc to see. They can and will find it.

USARNG=United States Army Reserve/National Guard

Not a bad option at all. Same training, less commitment.

been there did that, was in the ANG as a Huey mechanic (MOS 67november), WOCS waiting list at that time was 2 1/2 years ( In 1984) so I stayed on the wrench bending side instead of flying.

been there did that, was in the ANG as a Huey mechanic (MOS 67november), WOCS waiting list at that time was 2 1/2 years ( In 1984) so I stayed on the wrench bending side instead of flying.

It depends on the unit and the state its in, since the state pays the bill (I believe). I think it’s around a year wait now, but that’s not a bad thing at all since the civilian option is to go through OCS first. So in that year you can get used to your officer duties before tagging on flight requirements. You can still go the WO route, but you need to enlist first, reach E5, and then you can apply to WOCS/WOFT.

TenaciousT, is used to be less time commitment, but they are really using the USARNG and you stand a very real chance of being sent abroad. Technically, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the USARNG is only supposed to be deployed for 6 months, but its pretty obvious that isn't the case, so you should make sure that you have a compatible civilian life/job.

Chopperman, check out your states Division of Military and Naval Affairs website, just do a search of your state plus “national guard” on google and it should be the first result. There should be a unit list link somewhere on the page and just look for aviation units. Then get in contact with them and see what the story is and all that.

TenaciousT, is used to be less time commitment, but they are really using the USARNG and you stand a very real chance of being sent abroad. Technically, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the USARNG is only supposed to be deployed for 6 months, but its pretty obvious that isn't the case, so you should make sure that you have a compatible civilian life/job.

National Guard deployments are generally 15 - 18 month with a year scheduled in country, subject to extension.

It depends on the unit and the state its in, since the state pays the bill (I believe). I think it’s around a year wait now, but that’s not a bad thing at all since the civilian option is to go through OCS first. So in that year you can get used to your officer duties before tagging on flight requirements. You can still go the WO route, but you need to enlist first, reach E5, and then you can apply to WOCS/WOFT.

Chopperman, check out your states Division of Military and Naval Affairs website, just do a search of your state plus “national guard” on google and it should be the first result. There should be a unit list link somewhere on the page and just look for aviation units. Then get in contact with them and see what the story is and all that.

Some things you've said aren't exactly true. To come in from the civilian side and fly you can apply directly for WOFT (OCS is strictly for making lieutenants). If your packet is selected, you will enlist, attend Basic, and then attend WOCS and go to flight school. There is no need to enlist first, and waiting beyond E-5 means that the Army will get less utilization of the WO. Technician (non-flight) Warrant Officer MOSs usually have E-5 as a prerequisite, but not WOFT. Soldiers E-3 to E-7 have been selected for WOFT, predominantly E-4 and E-5 and the majority of WO candidates are from within the Army. However, there are always those who apply directly from outside and are selected.

You all keep referring to it as USARNG. There is either ARNG=Army National Guard or USAR=U.S. Army Reserves. There is no acronym USARNG, and ANG=Air National Guard.

(I had two and a half years ANG and two years ARNG prior to my active duty enlistment.)

Edited by Linc

From the home page of the link you shared

Last modified: November 27, 1998
Old, out of date information. When you go to their link pages, I can tell just by the link address to the Warrant Officer Career Center that it is in need of serious updating. Nearly every external link is out of date. The page you linked to refers to a DA Circular 601-series that has become part of the DA Pamphlet 601-series. The link you quoted, I find highly suspect considering the state the rest of the webpage is in, not to mention developments that have happened in WO accession in the last 4-5 years.

And, even if it is still current information and correct, it only would apply to the state of Georgia. So your statements would still be only exceptions rather than the rule.

Edited by Linc

• 3 weeks later...

Choperman,

I would be very suprised if you got picked up with no college. Most of the guys coming through the civilian side have at least a associates degree and many have bachelors degrees. My advice, go to college and get your bachelors degree, you will regret it if you dont and it is very hard to to find time to complete a degree while your in the Army.