Building Experimental Helicopter

shann2100

I want to build a personal experimental helicopter and i am just wondering if anyone has done it and if they have any suggestions on kits or what not and i am looking to do it for as little money as possible

I have never built a helicopter kit, but my pick would be the helicycle. http://www.helicycle.com The price, company support and most of all safety are the factors that gives it the most appeal to me.

Blessings,

Mark

i am looking to do it for as little money as possible

I think the hummingbird looks like the best experimental on the market since its basically an s-52. It'll cost more, but its 4 seats and would you really feel safe in flying something that you paid bottom dollar for?

I want to build a personal experimental helicopter and i am just wondering if anyone has done it and if they have any suggestions on kits or what not and i am looking to do it for as little money as possible

I suggest you take a look at http://www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/rotorwa...lysis/index.htm for a start. Then answer the question "Why do I want to build a helicopter?" If the answer is so you can afford training, think again. Let's say you can build one for $50,000. That's a low estimate, by the way. That's almost enough money to get your Commercial and CFI/CFII. Call it 250 hours. You might also notice that you still need to get a PP/H license which is going to cost you at least $5000 even if you use your own helicopter. Plus a couple of years before it's flyable.

If, on the other hand your primary interest is in building (as opposed to flying) by all means continue. The Rotorway Owners Group would be a good resource but I wouldn't restrict yourself to them by any means... Make sure to do Google searches on any kits you're interested in. The manufacturers web sites aren't going to go into the weaknesses of their systems, but the owners groups aren't bashful at all.

Hello Shan,

Beating our own drum, the Ak1-3 Ptarmigan will be out soon, very expensive however. We are looking at installing the newly approved 135 HP diesel and going tward certification on that platform. I know a guy that has the helicycle and now wishes he had a 2 place also but loves the performance. The Ptarmigan is 12 month delivery.

wish you well on your search.

www.ptarmigan-heli.com