driving myself crazy help please

Hello,

When i was 18 years old i began flying helicopters locally. I instantly became infactuated with flying and helicopters. Unfortunately my immaturity had gotten the best of me and i was in an alcohol related car accident. This was undoubtedly the worst mistake i had and will ever make in my life. From that day forward i cannot seem to let this go and get on with my life for the one thing that continues to lurk in the back of my mind is will i ever get hired with a dui on my record. When i got my dui i had no pilots license except for my medical. I guess what i am asking is for your opinion on the industry. When i am ready to be hired as a pilot is a company going to look at my record and say no way will you ever work as a pilot or will they see it my way and say that i was immature and made a mistake.... i'm only human and i'm sorry for what i have done and i am beginning training again in a couple months and i am starting to get really nervous about finding a job in the end.

Thank you and your input is greatly appreciated

I would ask anyone here over the age of, oh say 19, that didn't do something stupid at some point in their long career of being alive I'm 47 and I cannot be certain that I will not again do something dumb. :rolleyes:

I think you're being too hard on yourself - I would hope that no employer is expecting purity and faultless judgement at the ripe ol' age of 18.

Do your training, hopefully without becoming terribly in debt (or better yet, not at all in debt), and see how things go. As far as I know (not from personal experience, fortunately) you don't lose your privilege to fly based on a single DUI, and eventually time will make that fade, just as it did with my lousy grades in engineering school :unsure: .

Good luck,

Dave Blevins

Hello,

When i was 18 years old i began flying helicopters locally. I instantly became infactuated with flying and helicopters. Unfortunately my immaturity had gotten the best of me and i was in an alcohol related car accident. This was undoubtedly the worst mistake i had and will ever make in my life. From that day forward i cannot seem to let this go and get on with my life for the one thing that continues to lurk in the back of my mind is will i ever get hired with a dui on my record. When i got my dui i had no pilots license except for my medical. I guess what i am asking is for your opinion on the industry. When i am ready to be hired as a pilot is a company going to look at my record and say no way will you ever work as a pilot or will they see it my way and say that i was immature and made a mistake.... i'm only human and i'm sorry for what i have done and i am beginning training again in a couple months and i am starting to get really nervous about finding a job in the end.

Thank you and your input is greatly appreciated

I renewed my class 2 medical several months back, and I'm pretty sure it wants to know about DUI convictions, or the like. I could be wrong, but for some reason I think I remember seeing that on there. Maybe someone could confirm? I also seem to remember something about being able to lose or be denied your medical because of such things. Again, I could be wrong, but for some reason I remember hearing that somewhere.

I renewed my class 2 medical several months back, and I'm pretty sure it wants to know about DUI convictions, or the like. I could be wrong, but for some reason I think I remember seeing that on there. Maybe someone could confirm? I also seem to remember something about being able to lose or be denied your medical because of such things. Again, I could be wrong, but for some reason I remember hearing that somewhere.

Getting a DUI is one thing, reoccurance suggesting a character type or a continuing statement of ones ability to make 'sound judgements' about ones behavior is another.

I can make a list of names of people Ive known over the years that have a DUI on their records, many of them certificated pilots at the time, and cant think of any that have had their licenses revoked.... ''suspended'? yes, but not revoked and they continue to fly today.

Best thing about being caught is the 'potential lessons' to be learned afterward. Concider your DUI one of those, and move on!!!

Chip

• 4 months later...

One of my DPE's told me a story about a guy in his 40's that got a DUI years prior to wanting to get his PPL. From what I remember about the story, the FAA made it extremely difficult for him to get his license, if he did even get it. I'm not trying to freak you out, just trying to give you some info that my DPE gave me. I hope you do get your license and fly safely. I also hope you learned your lesson. Keep the rotor side up. :)

Well you could always call the Fisdo and ask them about it. If it was a one time deal and there has been no other issues and if you have gone to counsling for the DUI you should be okay. What ever you do do not lie about these things to the FAA. They get very Pissed and will cause problems when they find out. Chauk it up to experence and be thankful no one was hurt and move on with life. There was a thread about this either here or on the JH alternat forum at one stage. You could also check out AOPA as I would guess they have some info on their web site(which is very useful for students). Hope this helps

Fly Safe

Ben

Good topic Whilrybird53,

I would like to find out the same infomation. I was 24 when I got my DUI, so over 3 years ago. And I would like to start flying helicopters but if I cant go anywhere should I even start and go back to racing dirt track? <_<

yes, as the one before me said be honest about it. if you have to consent to a background check be honest and tell them, most likely it will come up. a friend of mine was applying for a job at a bank and lied saying that he didn't have any offenses. naturally, the bank found out he did and decided not to hire him, not because he had offenses on his record, but because he lied about it. a few misdemeanor's are ok, just try your best not to get any felonies since you're no longer a juvenile. good luck.