Army National Guard Board in Two Weeks

My package was supposed to go before the board yesterday, but there was a discrepancy in my proposed new rank. It seems that it is straight forward for prior Army and Marine candidates to affiliate as a W-2. For prior Navy and Air Force it is different depending on years in service, rank and experience. Evidently someone at Ft. Rucker has to decide that. So...I get a special "personal" board in two weeks once they get that answer. Then it is on to Ft. Rucker for Blackhawk training (AQC?) at the end of February.

Wings of Gold to Wings of Silver. Anyone know what the criteria is for senior pilot wings in the Army National Guard when you transfer from another branch of service with prior flight time?

Rob, I am currently on OCS for the Texas Army National Guard. I have some questions regarding haw you put your package through and some of the problems you faced also. I am prior Navy, AW was my rate on Sh-60B's I just seen the seahawk pic next to your name. Anyways did you go through WOCS or did you go direct from the Navy? Also is your chances better to go Warrant or OCS for getting picked up for flight school I have heard a few diffrent things. I am currently a CFII so nothing but aviation apeals to me that the TRNG has to offer.

Rob, I am currently on OCS for the Texas Army National Guard. I have some questions regarding haw you put your package through and some of the problems you faced also. I am prior Navy, AW was my rate on Sh-60B's I just seen the seahawk pic next to your name. Anyways did you go through WOCS or did you go direct from the Navy? Also is your chances better to go Warrant or OCS for getting picked up for flight school I have heard a few diffrent things. I am currently a CFII so nothing but aviation apeals to me that the TRNG has to offer.

I am actually going backwards a bit. I was an O-3 in the navy when I left active duty. I made O-4 in the reserves but quit drilling for awhile (10 years). That's a long and uninteresting story. My conversion will be from an O-4 in the Navy Inactive Ready Reserve to a W-1,W-2 or W-3 in the Army National Guard in Florida. The conversion to warrant was due to the following:

1) Billets available

2) Spare time available after my normal job and my part time flight instructing

3) Desire to fly vs desire to command

So no WOCS or normal flight school for me. I will be going directly to Blackhawk AQC in Feb/Mar/Apr. My limited experience with the Army National Guard is that if you want to FLY, go warrant. If you want to fly some and work your way up to be a leader and command, go OCS. I am sure any of the current Army warrants will correct me if I am wrong, but the warrant flying billets are what it would be like if you were a permanent LT/O-3 in the Navy. The benefit is no labotomy and forced promotion to O-4. No desk flying. No disassociated staff tour, shooter job, or other misc BS jobs.

• 3 months later...
Rob, Are you in the Jacksonville unit or Brooksville? And, are you up at Rucker currently? I am in the Jax unit up at Rucker right now.

I am delayed for medical reasons. I was supposed to go to Rucker at the end of February, but the unit (Jacksonville) managed to trade for another slot starting June 20th.

I am trying to get past a high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. Hmmm, could it be from flying SH-60Bs for 10 years in the Navy? The unit wants me but the ANG is making it a pain, wanting to treat me like a new candidate with no experience. At a MEPS physical they actually had me (an ex Navy O-4) holding the door for the other 100 mostly highschool enlistment candidates.

• 6 months later...
My package was supposed to go before the board yesterday, but there was a discrepancy in my proposed new rank. It seems that it is straight forward for prior Army and Marine candidates to affiliate as a W-2. For prior Navy and Air Force it is different depending on years in service, rank and experience. Evidently someone at Ft. Rucker has to decide that. So...I get a special "personal" board in two weeks once they get that answer. Then it is on to Ft. Rucker for Blackhawk training (AQC?) at the end of February.

Wings of Gold to Wings of Silver. Anyone know what the criteria is for senior pilot wings in the Army National Guard when you transfer from another branch of service with prior flight time?

WOW! What can I say? Almost 10 months later I finally REALLY got boarded! The board last December was cancelled because I did not have a MEPS physical. My valid flight physical and prior service weren't enough. Then, during the MEPS physical they could not accept the micro-hematuria I have had for 20 years without a doctor's explanation. A sonogram, CT scan and cystoscope later and the Army doctors are now willing to accept what the Navy doctors did 20 years ago. No kidney stones, no bladder cancer, no prostate cancer, etc...

My package passed the Florida board yesterday, I signed the commision paperwork today and now they start the process of federally recognizing me, converting my wings and getting me scheduled for H-60 training.

I think an avatar change is in the forecast.

Edited by Rob Lyman

Good deal!! Congrats

I finally graduate from Rucker, get my wings, and head back to FL next Wednesday. I can't wait to get out of here.

CHAD

Congrats to you too!

So do you get your wings at the end of all training, or before you start flying Chinooks, Blackhawks, etc..? In navy flight school we got our wings after the T-34C and TH-57, but before we went to aircraft specific training. Flight school was 13 months. The SH-60B training was another 8 months.

Don't leave hooker, we need some North Fl rednecks Here to class the place up a bit!!

Just kidding, I bet Your itching to get back to the homestead!

Edited by hotrodturbo7

Rob, we don't get our wings until we are completely done, with the 47 course and all. And thanks!

Hotrod, ha! I'm actually one of them there South Florida boys. And, you are damn right I'm ready to get home! And for my next trick, I'll find a civilian job!!

CHAD

• 5 weeks later...
Rob, we don't get our wings until we are completely done, with the 47 course and all. And thanks!

Hotrod, ha! I'm actually one of them there South Florida boys. And, you are damn right I'm ready to get home! And for my next trick, I'll find a civilian job!!

CHAD

Chad,

It was great to meet you this weekend. Sorry I didn't get to chat much, but I had a lot of in-processing to do. It looks like my AQC won't be until next spring, so I will be riding in the back for maintenance flights in the meantime.

I couldn't count the number of people who said it was ridiculous for me to have to go to AQC, but oh well.

BTW, I heard you guys don't practice autos in the CH-47. Was someone pulling my leg or is that true?

Rob

Rob,

Likewise. I also do agree about you having to go to the AQC, however, as you stated, if you were ready right now you would be deploying with Brooksville, right? Maybe it's for the better.

As for the Auto's in the 47, it's true. We did a few in the sim, but it was only for shits and grins, we don't actually practice them.

Nice meeting you, and I'll see you at drill.

CHAD