Making Ice Fog while picking up a load

HeloPitts

I had a similar situation happen to me in the winter while doing wildlife surveys. I was flying along, looked at my shadow on the ground and thought I was on fire. It looked like the aircraft was smoking. As I turned around to check, we saw a "trail" of condensation behind us. Each time we passed through these inversion layers in the mountains the same thing would happen. Wish I would have had a camera

Since it didn't happen on the termination of approach, which is also a significant pitch pull from the descent, and he hovers in circles for a turn or two while they're hooking up the load, I wonder if it wasn't induced by the helicopter's presence in the area; "warm" air from the exhaust wicking moisture into the area...

Edited by Linc

It must have been very cold. Never have seen it in a smaller ship. In the Alaska interior we would sometimes fly through "Ice Fog" The real stuff that forms in -25F and lower. It would put a layer of hard rime type ice on the leading edge's in 2-3 minutes on approach to the comm site. It required about 15-20% extra power then. We would land, knock it off (a 1 hour job) and work again. I have a picture of us in that stuff with the tower outline in view up front. No extra vibrations just a slow power drain.

Merry Christmas!

MROSE

• 2 weeks later...