Salaries based on location

LB11

I know heli pilots are under paid, but is there a big difference in pay based on job location. From what I gathered here and I think it was avjobs.com, rated heli pilots make maybe 40-60 on average. With exceptions of coarse.

But I found this page for example. I put in my zip code, and supposedly it gives you a up to date average for the "average" heli pilot.

Granted I dont think there are many jobs in my area, but would you consider this to be true? Are cirtain locations much higher paying than others?

http://www.collegegrad.com/salaries/salaries.shtml

zip is 33498

Edited by LB11

To a certain extent, yes. Depending on the cost of living and/or how far out in the swamp the location is, the salary may be higher than in other areas. Companies pay what they have to pay to attract qualified pilots. With new pilots willing to fly for little or nothing, they don't have to pay much in many cases, but eventually they have to at least pay a living wage.

However, I'm not sure I would trust that site. Check around to see what the real salary range is. Sites like this just take a few jobs and extrapolate to everything else, and the accuracy is questionable at best.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Hey Gomer, if all these new pilots flying for little or nothing then why have you seen your wages go up? I am a new pilot. Been flying for four years and I have seen nothing but wages increase. I think this old theory needs to be thrown out the window. My new job started at 50K...5 years ago it would have paid 30K at best. So maybe we should say wages are so low because all of the old timers put up with the low pay for so long. I don't want to be rude or condesending but I personally am getting tired of everyone blaming low pay on new pilots.

But you would still have taken the job if it only paid $30k, right? You can thank the OPEIU locals for the wage increases. When the big companies pay more, everyone has to pay more.

Pay also depends upon the type flying you are doing and the machines you do it with.

bossman