Advice Anyone?!

Hey guys,

My name is Katie, and I'll be starting flight school in 6 months or so. I'm really excited, and I think it's going to be an awesome experience. The only problem is my parents arent so into the whole idea of their baby girl flying helicopters for a living. I can understand why this would be a hard thing to grasp on to, but It's what I've always wanted to do. I mean I'm a normal girl, I go out with my friends and wear perfume and all that but I gotta tell ya, I just wanna be in the sky. My parents (and everyone i know) are concerned with the safety issues, and that I may be away from home a lot....Does anyone have any advice on how to make them feel a little more comfortable with this situation?!

sounds like they have the steriotypical girl principle. just have them watch g.i. jane a time or two and explain that this is something you are more than capable of doing. and is also something you love. explain to them that there are safety issues with everything in life, but taken the correct precautions helicopters are very safe. show them this forum, this thread, let them know what other helicopter people think. if that doesn't work, put on your pouty face and whine. either way i hope it works out for the best.

Not knowing your parents, its hard to get there exact perspective and what concerns they have. But from what I have seen from some people that have looked crossed eyed at me at what I am currently doing, some people feel that helicopters are flying bricks and that they all fall out of the sky, make too much noise, and that every crash is a fatal one. Very little do they know its usually not the machine that is at fault, its the pilot when something happens.

But I found that with a little education (what limited amount I possess at this moment in time) most seem to come around. For some of my relatives, explaining that the place I am doing my training at has some high time instructors (thousands of hours with 30+ years experiance each) and that the training aircraft I am using was designed for this, emergency procedures, proper airmanship and flying skills are also pushed etc etc. really helped. Most are excited and call to see how things are going and how I like it now.

Still doesn't mean that everything is safe and nothing will ever happen, as every school out there has had some type of incident or accident at some time it seems, but in most cases everyone walks away from it either because of training and/or luck. To be honest, I feel like there is more of something happening to me driving to/from the school becuase of all the crazys here in the L.A./Riverside area then when I am flying!

As far as being away from home, from what I have read and heard here on VR that you very well could be gone at some point in time when getting work or going to school. But how is this different then going to college, and then on to graduate school, and then working someplace away from home?

Thats enough of my rambling tonite, good luck and keep us posted on the situation. Merry Christmas All! -R

I came across a couple of myspace sites (very slow because of dial-up) where the people are women helo pilots. I remember a Kandi and a Skymuffin. I'm sure there are more women pilots on myspace. Anyhow, you might converse with them and see if they had a similar situation and how they handled it.

On another note, my spousal unit has the same fears about the safety thing; saying that helicopters are crashing all the time. Then again, everything is crashing all the time. There's nothing you can do about ones fears, even statistics aren't valid when it comes to dangerous occupations. About all you can do is try to reassure that you'll do your best to be safe. Even that might not reassure your parents. If that happens, well, I don't have an answer. They may have concerns about safety, but their concerns are, while valid, of no concern to you. This is your decision and your responsibility.

As for being away from home, been there, done that. My Mom was really bummed for a long time that I went into the Air Force. Really bummed totally when I went to Germany. Mainly because I wouldn't be able to be home for a few years. This was before E-mail was invented too. Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. All in all, they'll get used to you being away after a while-like going to college.

Bottom line is this is what you want to do for a living. You're a big girl now and it's time for you to leave the nest and find your own way in the world. Whether you fail or succede, it's your life, and you have to live it. Your parents will "get over it" that you're a pilot after a while. Heck, after a while I bet they even start bragging about you being a pilot. All parents don't want their babies to leave, but in the end they'll be happy to see you spread your wings. No pun intended.

One last thing; whether you become a pilot or an underwater basket weaver, do what you love to do and don't worry about what others think or say. I wish I took my advice 20 years ago.

Later

Edited by Witch

Hey guys,

My name is Katie, and I'll be starting flight school in 6 months or so.

So what are you doing in the next 6 months to prep for being a pilot?? Read the other threads on newbies, lots of good info there that won't cost you any money. Why not go to an aviation college ???

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 30 and my mom had the same rxn when I told her where I was headed 3 months ago. I've spent the time since then getting my proverbial "ducks in a row" and also educating my fam and friends on helos and the industry as a whole. Interestingly, my dad was pro helos from the get-go. I already have a bachelors in a good field which I ended up hating because it offered no adequate technical challenge or geographic adventure, and subsequently have found that I LOVE flying helos (through a series of fortunate events over the past few years). Luckily, i've never cared much about making wads of money (or maybe it's just that i've never experienced wads of money, maybe i'd LOVE it, who knows), I just want to live spinny side up with a smile on my face. Anyway, if you have 6mo between now and go time, I would highly recommend exemplifying how prepared you are for this undertaking as a way of showing this is a serious career choice, not just a child's risk-taking lark. That seems to be the major parental hurdle. Good luck!

How old are you, who is paying and how?

If you are living on your own already and paying for it yourself, then I wouldnt even worry about it. Like everyone said, I dont think they would dis-own you or anything, and would probably come around soon enough.

If you are still living at home and they are paying, then you might have a problem.

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I'm sure they will come around, but it does help having them believe in you, whatever it is you may be doing. But I'm sure I'll make it through... :) Also about the being away from home thing....they were going to let me spend a semester in Paris? So why not for Aviation school? Ohhhh the attached parents...not ready to let me go.

LB11- I'm 18 and I am still living at home....staying out of debt by moving into my own place. My parents let me go my own way and my mom is an awesome cook! As for the money, my grandfather left a huge fund for my brother and myself to go to whatever college we wanted. But I'm very determined person....and if I want something bad enough they fold in. Thanks for the advice

Goldy- For the next 6 months I'll be finishing out a semester at a community college near where I live. I am planning on going to a aviation school, That's what i meant by Flight Training, sorry I didn't specify.

Again to everyone thanks for the posts, I'll keep you updated on how it goes with the rents. :P

Hey guys,

My name is Katie, and I'll be starting flight school in 6 months or so. I'm really excited, and I think it's going to be an awesome experience. The only problem is my parents arent so into the whole idea of their baby girl flying helicopters for a living. I can understand why this would be a hard thing to grasp on to, but It's what I've always wanted to do. I mean I'm a normal girl, I go out with my friends and wear perfume and all that but I gotta tell ya, I just wanna be in the sky. My parents (and everyone i know) are concerned with the safety issues, and that I may be away from home a lot....Does anyone have any advice on how to make them feel a little more comfortable with this situation?!

I started flying when I was 17. I made minimum wage ($3.35/hr) and paid for it myself. My dad said I could never do. When I finally did, he changed his mind and was proud of me.

Jeff

Witch

My spousal unit Checked the insurance and said go for it (Hmmm!) still she ain't collected yet, 40 years and counting

My mother was convinced I would die (not yet Having to much fun)

Friends said your mad you will die & there is no money in it. (Some still do)

I had saved enough to pay for training and had a profession to fall back on.

If you really think this is for you Aviation college with training must be the way to go

GO FOR IT

Hey guys,

First off congrats on taking the first steps towards an amazing career. You won't regret it! I had the same issues with my parents. It didnt start until after i started school, but they still told me how concerned they were and how they don't like their 'baby girl' in a dangerous helicopter. I made the mistake of telling them a few close calls I had, which didnt help the situation at all. I learned when to keep my mouth shut and just kept myself enthusiastic about it and showed them how much I loved it. They have come around. Now I just have to figure out a way to get my brother off my back. Everytime he hears a story about a helicopter crash I get a phone call ;). Everyone will always be concerned for you, but just be mature, be excited about it and don't tell them stories that even seem a little bit unsafe. They should come around.

Thanks FlyGirl86, I think they will learn to realize. I mean I havn't decided which school I'm going to attend yet, but I've been searching and doing my homework whenever I don't have work.....So I think they are starting to get the picture that this is not just a little phase, and they will learn to respect that I found something that excites me, and satisfys me in a career... :D

BTW, just an update on the current situation: The rents are getting better, I know they want me to be happy, and they know I'm serious about this. So I believe they are doing their best to keep all their worries in, and just let me do my thing. And I think they know that I'll be safe, always doing my best. Also to everyone who replied! I have since used your advice in speaking with my parents about all of this, and it has helped a great deal! Thanks everyone ;)

Good advice from the other posters...

Didn't see anyone menition joining WIA or Whirly Girls however...

http://www.wai.org/

http://www.whirlygirls.org/

Fly Safe!

Thanks FlyGirl86, I think they will learn to realize. I mean I havn't decided which school I'm going to attend yet, but I've been searching and doing my homework whenever I don't have work.....So I think they are starting to get the picture that this is not just a little phase, and they will learn to respect that I found something that excites me, and satisfys me in a career... :D

BTW, just an update on the current situation: The rents are getting better, I know they want me to be happy, and they know I'm serious about this. So I believe they are doing their best to keep all their worries in, and just let me do my thing. And I think they know that I'll be safe, always doing my best. Also to everyone who replied! I have since used your advice in speaking with my parents about all of this, and it has helped a great deal! Thanks everyone ;)

no problem. they will learn to live with it, then be excited about it, then bug you about when you can take them flying. lol. where abouts are you looking to attend school?

Hey heligirl,

Everyone i knew just figured it was one of my weird "phases" when i started to take interest and figured I'd be on to the next thing in a couple of weeks. So I didn't tell anyone that i started. When I finished my first certificate, I walked up to all the nonbelievers and slapped that nasty little green card down on the table. Shocked em all but in doing so I showed them my commitment and now I have nothing but support. An earlier poster said to just study, study, study, keep your head down and go. Great advice! Don't just tell them...show em!

Your already pointed in the right direction joining this forum. Great info for all. Good luck.

Edited by coanda