HILLSBORO Vs LEADING EDGE AVIATION

I'm thinking about starting my flight training. I was in the Navy for four years, went to cal state long beach... and now i recently moved to Lake Tahoe for the winter. (i'm almost 28 yrs old) There are no helo flight schools to be found around the Reno/Tahoe area so i was thinking about looking into oregon flight schools.

Leading Edge is in bend.. i'm guessing it might get a little bit better weather, and i could ski Mt Bachelor... Hillsboro (troutdale) is close to portland, and i worked up at the timberline lodge a few summers ago, and i really liked that area. I could ski Mt Hood.. but working at timberline i know the weather seemed pretty volitile, I wondered if anybody knew anything about these schools. I saw someone post a contact for leading edge with the name joel jensen, which i thought was funny cause my name is joe jensen, maybe it's a sign.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I look forward to reading some comments.

You should go visit both schools before deciding. Talk to students that are currently enrolled and ask them some hard questions. Like, would you go here if you got to do it over again. Also just get a feel for the school and the insturctors. Don't worry to much about the weather aspect you will finish in about the same time regardless of the weather at the school.

OK that is all I have got. Hope it helps.

CROOK

Why did you pick those schools? There are alot of schools in Oregon. Sounds like mostly for the skiing. I'm not a big fan of the "big" schools. Hillsboro is certainly one of those. I haven't been to any of the oregon schools for a while, but from alot of searching about 5 years ago I kind of liked Precision, they have been around quite awhile and have a good name. Leading Edge is certainly expensive in their program costs.

• 1 month later...

I think the area in which I would like to live is one on the factors. Bend Oregon is a great place to live!!!

As for Leading Edge they are on a growth curve and that equates to slots in the CFI and tours ops. They also have a R44 for CFII training and a Jet Ranger for the turbine transition. Some other pluses is they have a FAA flight examiner on Staff. They are also a Robinson Dealer and service center so the maintance is impecable.www.flybend.com

Edited by bellpilot

I think the area in which I would like to live is one on the factors. Bend Oregon is a great place to live!!!

As for Leading Edge they are on a growth curve and that equates to slots in the CFI and tours ops. They also have a R44 for CFII training and a Jet Ranger for the turbine transition. Some other pluses is they have a FAA flight examiner on Staff. They are also a Robinson Dealer and service center so the maintance is impecable.

I totally agree pick the location where you want to live!!!

Bend is a cool town ..

Troutdale is the fringe of sanity in the portland area.. close by is gresham.. well its still on the urban sprawl organized chaos binge at the moment.. can't decide to be big or small and with no real center.. yoikes

Positive Growth is good.. the schools that can get more students and overwhelm the current CFI's will be hiring more CFI's soon..

so choose wisely and after visiting both schools and going for a flight and seeing the country that they fly in..

Leading edge and Bend cool country .. Mt Bachleor and the Dechutes

Hillsboro troutdale has the gorge and Mt Hood.. not that you'd fly yur lil' R22 up there in training..

R44 for CFII training is a way to get R44 time sure but at a greater cost..

206 time and turbine transistion well good to have in the logbook but after doing time as a CFI the company that hires you next will train you the way that they want you to be trained.

The experience is Vaulable and worth everypenny.. but think about primacy, and your check book..

Good luck and keep 'em spinnin!