Orlando Flight Schools

There's a good possiblility I'll be transferring to either Tampa or Orlando with my job. Does anyone know of any flight schools in those areas that would be good to instruct at part time?

Jeff

You want to teach at a school? I studied breifly at Orlando Flight Training in Kissimmee - terrible school then for students, but for an instructor - I don't know the set-up so I can't speak as to how good they are to their instructors.

Here is helo info on their school:

http://www.flyoft.com/helicopter_training.php

• 2 weeks later...
You want to teach at a school? I studied breifly at Orlando Flight Training in Kissimmee - terrible school then for students, but for an instructor - I don't know the set-up so I can't speak as to how good they are to their instructors.

Here is helo info on their school:

http://www.flyoft.com/helicopter_training.php

I was thinking of doing my PPL with them. They are connected with a school very close to me in the UK (Blackbushe) operated by Cabair.

OFT PPL

FAA PPL includes the following:

• 20 hrs dual Flight Instruction

• Robinson Safety Awareness Training

• 20 hrs solo

• All FAA written examination

as required

• 30 hrs ground school

• Unlimited evening ground school M-F

• 150 NM cross country

• One to one dedicated experienced CFIs

Special Introductory price includes 5% prepay discount

$10,495

Additional Expenses:

• Fuel surcharge when applicable

• FAA Examiner charges: $400

• FAA Medical Examination

• M1 Student Visa processing fee foreign students only $275

• Student accommodation: $35/night

• Hotel accommodation: $50/night

HAI PPL

Private Pilot Program

33 Hrs. Dual Instruction 300CB/CBi $8,085.00

10.8 Hrs. Solo Practice $2,214.00

120 Hrs.Ground School Class $ 645.00

10 Hrs. Tutored Instruction $ 400.00

10 Hrs. Pre/Post Flight $ 400.00

Written Test $ 80.00

Checkride Examiner Fee $ 350.00

Checkride Aircraft Rental (1.5 Hrs.) $ 307.50

TOTAL $12,481.50

Additional Costs

Books & Equipment (Estimate) $750.00

FAA Medical Exam (Class II) $ 65.00

FAA Written Tests(each) $ 80.00

Student Registration Fee $150.00

FAA Examiner Checkride (each) $400.00/$450.00/$600.00

Interesting comparrisons for the same course! It just goes to show that you really need to ask carefully where your dollar is going. There are valid items missing from one which are on the other.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Joker

Those price quotes are interesting, but it looks like both are quoting minimum flight hours. I don't know anyone who has been able to license in the minimum hours although I'm sure a few do. Also the OFT talks about a discount for "prepay" which I would consider a warning flag. Personally I wouldn't give any flight school $10,000 up front. I don't mind keeping a thousand or so on the books. I do like the fact that both quotes include extra expenses unlike some that you see. Also, without meaning to start another 300/R22 flame war it does seem like the 300's average a little higher rental cost than the R22's. I still think $15000 is a good planning figure for the PPR/H from scratch plan...

Those price quotes are interesting, but it looks like both are quoting minimum flight hours. I don't know anyone who has been able to license in the minimum hours although I'm sure a few do. Also the OFT talks about a discount for "prepay" which I would consider a warning flag. Personally I wouldn't give any flight school $10,000 up front. I don't mind keeping a thousand or so on the books. I do like the fact that both quotes include extra expenses unlike some that you see. Also, without meaning to start another 300/R22 flame war it does seem like the 300's average a little higher rental cost than the R22's. I still think $15000 is a good planning figure for the PPR/H from scratch plan...

Yes, quote is for min. flight hrs.

Go to Tomlinson Aviation, Inc. in Ormond Beach, FL. They are about an hour east of Orlando, but they are worth the drive by far. I got through my commercial there, and they are the best I have seen. They have great equipment, experienced instructors, and a great scheduling system so you won't be cancelled due to a lack of aircraft. It's a smaller school too, so you have the family atmosphere feel without the lack of aircraft. They also have all the programs of the bigger schools so you're good to go with all of that. Check out their site at www.tomlinsonaviation.com. I've logged some time-building hours at other schools as I've travelled around the US, and they are best school that I have experienced. Just some food for thought.

Yeah, i wouldnt give anyone that amount up front and i agree that 15/16,000 is a good amount to look at spending.

I trained at Orlando Helicopter Training at Orlando Executive Airport (KORL). They have a great facility just east of downtown Orlando. They have several Schweizer 300 CB and CBi's. The staff is great and very professional. I had a good time there.

Good luck!

You should also check out Tropical Helicopter. They have a great staff, a Fly-It simulator (great for IFR training), and 3 Schweizer 269C's. They also have the best prices around. There are so many choices for helicopter flight schools in central florida, i think location is a big part (though I drive an hour to get to Leesburg due to the ridiculously high rental rates at Orlando Exec).