What is an air tax, and when did it start? I just received my final statement from the school that I trained at, only took two years of asking for it, and I noticed that there is an air tax on the statement. There was not any air tax on the previous two statements that I received from them. The total comes out to $1,801.00.

Thank you for your info.

What is an air tax, and when did it start? I just received my final statement from the school that I trained at, only took two years of asking for it, and I noticed that there is an air tax on the statement. There was not any air tax on the previous two statements that I received from them. The total comes out to $1,801.00.

Thank you for your info.

What school are (did?) you going to?

It's possible there is some kind of state tax on flight training. There is no federal tax on GA air travel. It could also be somthing that they made up to get another $1800 out of you. What school is it?

The school is universal, they are based in Scottsdale, Arizona with locations in Provo, Utah, and Long Beach, California. Once the loan money was all gone I have had nothing but problems with them. I have been writing/talking to state agencies for the last two years with no help. One of these state agencies finally has a new person who actually has helped and believes the student instead of the school. When I had to quit right before my cfii, I asked for the rest of the loan money. That total they gave me was over $1,000. They shorted me $400.00 of which I just found out. Also, two former students had $11,000.00 misplaced by the school. Universal eventually found the money just like they found the $6,500.00 that they lost of mine. One of the students told me to go over every flight and ground time because some just don't add up. The amount that I came up with after checking everything comes out to $5,000.00 that they owe me. Most of it was from instructors charging when you are on lunch and they mention the word helicopter. Also, flight time never received. My instrument instructor flew with me when I flew a friend, we only flew the 44 for 30 minutes and was charged $700.00. They also charged me ground @ $50.00 and hour then on the same day @ $65.00 an hour. They also show that I was at the school for 14 hours with an hour lunch. I have never stayed more than ten hours in one day. They take the students money any way they can.

There is no 'air tax' that I've ever heard of. Anyone who takes out a large loan and lets that go directly to the school is completely ignorant, and is going to get ripped off. Guaranteed. If the school requires that, then do not pass go, do not collect $200, but run, don't walk, to another school.

There is no 'air tax' that I've ever heard of. Anyone who takes out a large loan and lets that go directly to the school is completely ignorant, and is going to get ripped off. Guaranteed. If the school requires that, then do not pass go, do not collect $200, but run, don't walk, to another school.

Since universal goes through Utah Valley State College's Global Aviation Degree Program students think that they will not get taken advantage of. UVSC says that they have nothing to do with universal which couldn't be further from the truth. UVSC collects over $17,000 per student that goes through universal. Students should not be taken advantage of from any school that they attend.

Thank you for your info.

That's probably short for "airhead" tax. It's an additional fee that the school believes it can get away with charging because the student is so obtuse he probably won't realize it and/or dispute it. These kinds of students are generally identified by the school early on when they sign contracts or loan agreements with egegious terms and don't ask any questions. Of course it could be something else but, the fact that you are asking on a forum board instead of asking the school tends to support the "airhead" position.

Thank you for your info.

Like every other industry there are good companies and bad companies. Every school is in the business to make money first (don't ever let someone tell you otherwise). I am not an attorney but to my understanding, there is nothing illegal about a company charging you for something they believe is important, and usually they can call it what ever they want (with certain exceptions). You don't have to pay it unless you asked for and received services of goods. However they can come after you for it, place it on your credit report, take you to court. In this case you have already paid it so you would probably need an attorney to recover you money. This can be more expensive then the original loss so you may not want to do that. Speaking with an attorney though is always a good idea.

They can run into trouble if they are collecting taxes which don't go to the government. So if it is actually a tax then the money goes elsewhere than the school. You need to go back and ask them. If it is a tax, you need to ask them who it is a tax for (local, state, federal, etc). If it is not a tax the government is asking for then you need to call the state office of consumer affairs and communicate this. They may or may not have broken laws or misled you. Again see an attorney, but the office of consumer affairs should be able to help you get started and will not cost you a dime. I did not see what school or state you are in but a quick look on your favorite flavor of search engine will get you a link.

Now before you do all that, be sure to go back and ask your flight school. Talk with someone in charge not just your flight instructor. Try to speak with the owner. I am sure you have heard of the old saying catching flies with honey, start that way. Then if you don't get a answer you understand then move on to the next step. "MAKE SURE YOU GET IT IN WRITTING!!!!!"

As someone else mentioned "some" people think they can see a sucker coming from a mile away. They assume because you are a student you know nothing and some people will take advantage of you for that. I have caught more then one school trying this on me and I move on.

Regardless of what someone tells you, you did a good thing by posting this message here. Ask your peers and mentors when you don't know something. Now you are armed with info that you can use to go back to the school and contest this "Airtax" if need be.

Good luck!

The Arizona office of consumer affairs is http://www.azag.gov/consumer/

Thank you for your info.

I think you read it wrong. It probably said Air TAXI. Next time just hover taxi and save the cash for something else!