Jetranger crash

HeloPitts

to low to save it completely but i imagine it could have been much worse. i wonder what did happen, maybe somebody bumped the collective down or there was some kinda of pressure change or engine problems. blades and engine were still going at the end so i don't know.

maybe that's right pitts. you can see the shadow on the trees and the heli is spining. pretty much unflyable without the TR so he had to set her down quick since that looked to be the only spot without trees. good job for sure though.

that one there though i just don't understand.

maybe that's right pitts. you can see the shadow on the trees and the heli is spining. pretty much unflyable without the TR so he had to set her down quick since that looked to be the only spot without trees. good job for sure though.

I read somewhere that it was a ride for a man who just turned 100. What I read said that the pilot experienced some kind of control problem, and despite the fact that he could have landed he tried to take off hit the trees and lost control. I don't know if that account is true or accurate, but I will try to find the site where I read it.

--PF

I read somewhere that it was a ride for a man who just turned 100. What I read said that the pilot experienced some kind of control problem, and despite the fact that he could have landed he tried to take off hit the trees and lost control. I don't know if that account is true or accurate, but I will try to find the site where I read it.

--PF

PF-

You're thinking of this video.....

Supposedly they were giving an older guy his first flight for his birthday... He did get a flight but it was in an EMS helicopter....

PF-

You're thinking of this video.....

Supposedly they were giving an older guy his first flight for his birthday... He did get a flight but it was in an EMS helicopter....

Thats the same video that was quoted in my post.

100 and first time flying in a helicopter like this is not a great idea. pretty silly stuff, some people. take this guy for example. listen to what the guys are saying in the video and you will be disgusted.

Haven't seen that one for a while. Somebody posted a link to the NTSB report a while back. I can't imagine how anybody could be that stupid, to think they can just jump into a helicopter and fly. But I have had students with the same mentality that guy had. At least they didn't have the $$$ to buy a helicopter.

In-vehicle footage of a Channel 7 Bell Jet Ranger crashing while on a shoot in the early 1980's.

Listen for the comment: "Don't call Channel 7, mate, they'll go f*ckin' crazy!".

Not to hijack this thread but did you see the link to the other video? It's a nice little 4 minutes on power line work. Wish i could hover like that.

John,

You can buy the DVD, it's called "Straight Up". It's all about helicopters! I got mine at www.deepdiscountdvd.com for about $12(free shipping). It was shot in large format(70mm), it's pretty good though!

Cheers-

R91

You didn't understand his flying technique, or how the crash happened...if it was how the crash happened..first, watch the blades cut a nice path into the trees on the right, then watch the blades cut a light pole in half on the left..then the crash..

im thinkin he lost the tailrotor got spun around and then got into settling with power

Good job keeping upright

I agree that he might have lost the T/R, but I think he might have just autoed hard because he was operating outside the safe limits of the H/V curve. If you listen closely, you can hear the engine RPM drop.

Regarding the 206, it appears to me that the filming was done from the right rear seat with the door open. It looks like the heli was being flown sideways at a pretty fast clip and to keep the car in the shot he continued to turn the tail ultimately flying backwards for only a second and you can see in the shadow that the nose pitches down quite a bit which makes me think the horizontal stab pushed it down, and the rest is just a guess, but he may have hit the aft stop and lost control, the droop in rotor could be from pulling an armful of collective as he was settling. Without interviewing the pilot, it's hard o say, but it looks like he stuck his neck out too far. Does anyone have the NTSB report?

No tail rotor loss, just some problems with being too low, turning round a car and flying backwards into his own downwash, ran out of power and fell 20' to the only available piece of clear, flattish land in the area. It was on the road to West Head, near Palm Beach north of Sydney.

The machine was retrieved, repaired, operated for many more years for Ch 7, repainted and sold to a private buyer, and is now working for another operation in mid-west of the state.