War Stories

Well, I had a wonderful weekend of flying.

Yesterday, we went to Mary's Peak-to get outta the pattern-and after getting there, Mike wants to land. I'm a little skeptical and tell him that maybe it ain't a good idea. He says that the snow has probably crusted, so whiteout won't be a problem. I said that it's not the whiteout that I'm worried about, it's the sinking into the snow that bothers me. He says ,"Good point".

So, we head back to the airport-at 5600'. You know, we could see the Sisters, Mt Hood, Jefferson, Rainier, and I think St Helens too. About 8 miles out, we went into an auto. Observation here-it takes a loong time to fall 4200', over two minutes. During the auto I notice the VSI reading 1700fpm. Turns here and there and a 360. I coulda fixed a cup of tea during this manuver and watched the last season of Seinfeld.

Returning to the aerodrome, we fly to the rose and perform some of the most amazing hover autos ever not seen by CNN. The first one, we came down light as a feather. following ones were just as good, with no yawing whatsoever. WHO DA MAN???? We then noticed the traffic cones mocking us. Knocking them over with the skids was completed in short order. Never mock a man in a Robbie.

Today was very entertaining. After departing 27 and flying downwind, we noticed a dozen cop cars driving onto the abandoned runway. Mike whips out the M-60 and opens up. A few running landings and takeoffs later, we go over to the abandoned and do some hover autos. Mike notices that the cones are back upright. Well, this makes us irate-they mock us-so we knocked them over again. Then we realize that maybe the cops put them back up for their driving course. And the cops are about 800 feet down the runway. Oops, time to go to the west abandoned taxiway for some autos. Hope they didn't see us. Even if they did, they couldn't catch us. We're faster.

So we do autos on the taxiway. Why are the cops looking at us? I must say, I did some of the best autos to date. These things are getting easier. Then while climbing crosswind, here comes a falcon right at us. I swear he was looking to do a suicide run and take us out. Mike starts yelling, I start yelling, We're both yelling "OH $H1T" as the bird passes about five feet under us. I wonder if he was trained by Al Quaida? So after some nervous laughter and a change of undies, we continue to do some quick stops and chasing a couple of little birds that were just bugging us.

It was a fun weekend.

Next week we're flying to McMinnville to check out the Spruce Goose. Maybe Mike'll buy me lunch?

Later

Then while climbing crosswind, here comes a falcon right at us. I swear he was looking to do a suicide run and take us out. Mike starts yelling, I start yelling, We're both yelling "OH $H1T" as the bird passes about five feet under us.

Ya, I don't know what it is with birds of pray and helicopters, but they sure seem to not like them. I can go to the airport, pull the copter out, preflight, look up in the sky and there won't be a bird for miles. Startup, pull pitch, look up and there will be at least 3 Hawks or Buzzards circling overhead, almost daring you to come up into their territory.

I know that I've made eye contact with more than one. <_>

Fly Safe

Clark B)

Witch, do you fly out of Corvallis? If so does your school offer a 141 program?

Yes Corvallis, and I honestly don't know about a 141. I guess it's 141. I mean there're CFI's, a kind of classroom, lots of airplanes, testing room... Look here: http://www.aviaaviation.com and here: http://www.corvallisaeroservice.net/default.htm

That's all I can offer at this time.

Later

Yes Corvallis, and I honestly don't know about a 141. I guess it's 141. I mean there're CFI's, a kind of classroom, lots of airplanes, testing room... Look here: http://www.aviaaviation.com and here: http://www.corvallisaeroservice.net/default.htm

That's all I can offer at this time.

Later

Good story sounds like fun.Talk about birds.my buddy was flying around the salem area and had a goose come through the bubble of the r-22 and land on his fathers lap duing his fathers first heli ride with him. talk about scary,he safely put the bird (heli) down in a feild and drove home.