Heli CFI or dual-rated commercial?

svtcobra66

I've got my commercial/ifr heli ratings and a pvt/asel rating. I'm wondering whether I would be better off getting my cml/ifr airplane and going about job hunting with cml ratings in both airplanes and helicopters, or if i should put the money toward my heli cfi and keep the pvt/asel for kicks. I like flying both, i'm just not sure what career path I should go with (i'm not the best at teaching people-easily frustrated). Is it possible to get a job w/ around 300 hrs and cml/ifr heli and airplane ratings?

svtcobra66,

I'm dual rated... I did not obtain any instructor rating in either before getting the first flying job. I did buy a cheap airplane, and as soon as 500 total hours were accumulated, I got my MEL, and sold the airplane for what it was bought for... I had a commercial in the helicopter and airplane at this point with the instrument in the airplane only. Then I made a resume, and planned on walking into as many places as possible, just to ask the question, "What do I need to get hired here?". (It is usually better to apply in person in this business sometimes, than by resume)... At the first place I went to, the director of operations hired me on the spot to fly part 135. He liked my helicopter time... At the time, I had about only 25 hours of AMEL time. I flew Embraer E110's (twin turboprop) and Learjets. I flew 500+ more hours in five months there - mostly in crummy weather and at night. It was invaluable instrument experience. It was a really good experience, and it has helped me secure a position flying both a helicopter and business jets (Lear, Citation, Hawker, and Challenger). There will be far less jobs available flying both aircraft types at the same time, but I have found myself to be a rare commodity for the positions that are available. It has definitely made my paycheck higher than a typical helicopter instructor with the same number of helicopter hours. Looks good on a resume afterwards to have half your time AMEL turbine at 1000 hours, a good understanding of part 135, 100+ hours of actual instrument, and the skill to work in a crew...

Also, your employer may be willing to stick you in turbine helicopters earlier than the industry standard due to having one salary instead of two to cover... It makes the insurance bill a little less painful. Unlike you - I like teaching, and instruct in helicopters on the side now. It sounds like yourself, I favor the helicopter, but I don't want to give up the airplane either. Especially if it is a jet. ;)

Don't think you want me to decide your path, but that has been my experience. Maybe it is helpful... There are few jobs of the type you are looking for, but if you are there when the opening is available, it is a great opportunity.

Edited by nbit