Taking that first leap.......why is it soooo damn hard?

I'll give you a heads up on the 430 as thats what I fly right now. You are right about it being an upgraded version of the 230. Basically the 230 version was built as a stopgap between the 222 and the 430. Only about 30 230s were built (thats what Flight Safety said when I was there for my initial a couple years back)

The 430 is still on the 222 type certificate. Its rotor system uses to yokes moutned on top of eachother and uses a bearingless/hingless system. The blades are extremely light and can easily be removed and carried away by one person.

The engines are upgraded Allison 250c40s (the same as in the 407) and the fadec is the same as the 407 as well. (at least that what 407 drivers have told me.) Unforunatelly they are still Allisons and tend to temp out when it gets hot. Also Bell derated the transmission so its limited to 1045shp.

The instrumentation got rid of the old steam gauges and replaced it with a dual IIDS system. Also was installed was dual EFIS tubes. This sytem takes a little time to get used to but once you are used to it you realize how easy it is to use. In reality it gives you a much easier way to recognize a problem since as soon as a gauge is in red or yellow it will let you know what is happening. This will help take some of the workload off the pilot. Sometimes I fly 350's and 206s and the old round gauges can be tough to read sometimes.

The cabin was lenghted with a plug but is pretty much the same as the 222.

It is an extremely smooth (probably the smoothest ac out there) helicopter to fly and very easy to fly as well. Biggest problems are the size of the cockpit and the lack of power in the summer.

Back to topic. To the original poster, you just have to go for it sometime. I went and started taking lessons about 12 years ago and have never regretted it. I had just finished high school and was bored in community college and looked up and saw a helicopter flying overhead . I had always loved flying rc helicopters and thought this is just a step up. I went for a demo flight and loved it. The price though was huge though for an 18 year old and back then there wer no loans available for flight training. Basically aviation was considered recreation and not a career. Without having a rich family to help me out I worked to pay it off. Every dollar I could afford after rent and food I put into flight training. Yeah it meant not getting done as quick as some others but I stuck through it and after a couple years I had finished. The best part was no debt. Several freinds had maxed credit cards, taken out high interest loans to get done as well. Getting through it was tough but was well worth it. Even if you go the military route it is worth it. My career has taken me all over and I've done lots of diff flying and have loved every minute of it. However if possible try to pay for flight training with work and not a loan. It will take longer but when you are done you wont have to use half a months paycheck to pay the loan off making CFI wages. Just look for ways to cut your expenses and it will happen. Good Luck.

I don't know why but every time i see a picture of a 430 (never seen one in person) I can't stop smiling!!! Probly has something to do with Airwolf!! :rolleyes: :D :D

So getting that new car at $23,000ish would probly be a bad idea huh? lol damn and I really wanted that new GTI!! being an adult sure sucks sometimes.

Viking

I nearly took the advice of working for a year and putting $$ aside to pay for heli training. A few months into this plan I was afraid I wouldn't follow through with my flying dream. I started taking a couple lessons to keep my appetite up, and 8 months later I got my PPL...paying as I went.

My flight school was really understanding and my instructors were excellent. The school has block time deals which lowered the cost. I always try to keep a little $$ in the bank in case of an emergency, and keep buying blocks of time when savings adds up.

Now I've started instrument training and can't seem to find a loan program that works with my school. I might run out of $$ and don't want to transfer to a school with a lesser reputation and poor credibility just so I can fly at a school that offers a reasonable rate on a loan.

If it seems like my advice is mixed...it is! I'd take the loan if it's not raping you like Pilot Finance or some other 14%+ loan. I'd love to fly more and am frustrated that I finally figured out what I wanna be when I grow up, but can't fly as much as I'd like. I also don't want to be a 36 year old CFI (I'm 31 now) entering the job market later in my life.

If you can, get a miles Credit Card to pay for training, and use the loan to pay the CC bill. If you're gonna go into debt, you might as well get some free airline tickets out of the deal to go celebrate your decade of indentured servitude paying it off!

Good Luck

Ok well how much better of an option is the Army? Sign for 6 years after graduation get your training for free. I had one of the EMS pilots (22 year vet of the Marines) tell me that the military is the way to go and that 6 years is nothing when you come out and don't have a huge loan to pay off. My only problem is How many hours am I likely to have after six years of military flying and how well will that flight time and experience transfer over to the civilian world?

You asked the right question... How many hours will you have after 6 years?

Depends on how much time you spend in the sandbox...

If you get out with 600 hours, you'd in the same boat as a 600 hour CFI.

You asked the right question... How many hours will you have after 6 years?

Depends on how much time you spend in the sandbox...

If you get out with 600 hours, you'd in the same boat as a 600 hour CFI.

A 600 turbine hour CFI with something on there resume that employers like to see?

How often do you think a former military pilots gets chosen over a Civilian given the same number of hours?

FlyNLowNSlow says"I'm turning 40 in a couple of months and would give up my 6 figure salary in a heartbeat, if I could make a living flying helicopters and nothing else."

That's the funny part.... "if I could make a living flying helicopters and nothing else."

It seems most of the posters have not even started flying and taking a huge loan or have barely started their education/training. Truthfully, your job opportunities as a CFI are slim and pay next to nothing. With a huge loan repayment you will live under the poverty line. If that seems fine to do what you want, go for it. I would like to not work at all and just fly helicopters for fun. Wonder why I can't do that. Maybe I should just take a loan.

This next part was ALSO a post from APIAGUY in his post called "What Next".

"Ok, I know this is going to sound really spoiled.

I own a number of helicopters and airplanes. I love to fly! I love to work on them! I love being around them. As a helicopter owner and recreational flyer it becomes difficult to find new places/adventures to fly. I find myself thinking all day about going flying but after doing some hover work, a few quick-stops and practice autos I find myself wondering what to do next or where to go. I look at the clock and I've only been in the air for about 30 minutes. It is weird because I really love the start-up and pickup and those initial few minutes flying. After that I'm not sure what to do but I know that the minute I shut down I'll start thinking of flying again. Yes, I love to scout around and look for pinnacles and confined areas to approach and dink around in but after awhile you have to find something else. I don't really enjoy cross country flight in the helicopter unless I stay below 250 feet. What should I do?"

Ok, this part is me:

Dude, why are you giving anyone advice about spending money to get their training?? And which is it anyway: One post says you'd love to not work and fly all day, and your other post says you own several helicopters and airplanes and fly so much you get bored?? I gotta call some serious BS either way on this. Ignore this guy and do what you have to do to achieve your goals. First of all, there are opportunities all over the place to work as a CFI. Yeah, it doesn't pay great, but it's enough for me to make ends meet until I get my hours, which is going to have taken me about 10 months from the start of my CFI job. I'll move on to bigger and better things and a new CFI will take my place. This is how the industry works. The first year is a temporary inconvenience for a permanent improvement. Suck it up and enjoy doing something you love. If you don't have the balls to do it, AKA APIAGUY, then shut your mouth and let others move ahead.

Edited by nsdqjr

FlyNLowNSlow says"I'm turning 40 in a couple of months and would give up my 6 figure salary in a heartbeat, if I could make a living flying helicopters and nothing else."

That's the funny part.... "if I could make a living flying helicopters and nothing else."

What the hell is funny about it? I got my SEL PPL back in 1991. My first son was born that same year, which changed my priorities quite a bit, between then and now I've had a successful career in IT, sure I make a lot of money now, but I also have a financial responsibility to my wife and my 7 kids (hers, mine and ours) so switching careers at this point is not an option, unless it's for the same or more money. I have never lost my love of flying, nor my desire to be a professional pilot, being paid to do something I would do for free, if I had the means. I may not be able to head to the GoM or do tours in Alaska, due to my situation, but I can be a part time CFII until retirement from the rat race, then do it full time after that. It may not be glamorous, but I will be able to take pride in the fact that, I teach people to fly and at some point, be the best damn helicopter instructor pilot that money can buy.

Marlon

Too funny,

OK, first my quote was "I would like to not work at all and just fly helicopters for fun" That is true... I work 3 days a week and would like to not work AT ALL. I didn't say I'd like to fly all day.

Second, I own a Cessna TR-182, a mooney M20C, (2) hughes 300's, (2) hughes 269A's and a hangar full of parts and other projects. I have my A&P, IA and am a dual rated commercial pilot. I also never said I "get bored". I did elude to that by saying I sometimes find it challenging to fly alot, just for fun. The point of that post was to stir up conversation about fun ideas and things to do in the helicopter....

I choose to make aviation my hobby and not a primary business at this point in my life because I love it. (I can also make a whole lot more money doing something else. I've been actively engaged in aviation for 20 years so please wipe your snot nose at the door, "dude". This is a message board and if some punk wants advise on a decision to spend alot of money he doesn't have on something because it's fun.....I have some advise for him, you don't have to like it.

What was funny about your quote lownslow is that you have a six figured job and you just said you're talking about being a part time instructor. That is great!!! go for it. You have the money to do that and you can make a little on the side. My point was only to say that you cannot give up your six figure job to become a helicopter pilot at this point in life unless you take a severe pay cut..... like to poverty. I'm really not trying to offend ya'll, but I guess I am by shooting down a dream of a career in helicopters..... by all means everyone, GO FOR IT, just be prepared for the shortcomings that come with a career in aviation. And don't vote to raise my taxes to pay for your shortcomings.

Edited by apiaguy

What was funny about your quote lownslow is that you have a six figured job and you just said you're talking about being a part time instructor. That is great!!! go for it. You have the money to do that and you can make a little on the side. My point was only to say that you cannot give up your six figure job to become a helicopter pilot at this point in life unless you take a severe pay cut..... like to poverty.

I see where you are coming from, but my post was just wishful thinking, there is no way I can give up my current lifestyle, to try and make a full time career out of flying helicopters, but attaining my CFII and doing it part time until I am at the point where I can "downsize" is certainly within reach. I cashed my reality check a long time ago ;)

Marlon

P.S. If that 182 or M20C need a workout...

Thanks for your honesty Marlon....

If you're ever in Idaho we'll go. (just not Tuesday thru Thursday....I work) lol

I may just take you up on that, The College of Southern Idaho is a client of mine and I get out to Twin Falls once in a while, that is some nice flying country you have out there.