What next?

apiaguy

Ok, I know this is going to sound really spoiled.

I own a number of helicopters and airplanes. I love to fly! I love to work on them! I love being around them. As a helicopter owner and recreational flyer it becomes difficult to find new places/adventures to fly. I find myself thinking all day about going flying but after doing some hover work, a few quick-stops and practice autos I find myself wondering what to do next or where to go. I look at the clock and I've only been in the air for about 30 minutes. It is weird because I really love the start-up and pickup and those initial few minutes flying. After that I'm not sure what to do but I know that the minute I shut down I'll start thinking of flying again. Yes, I love to scout around and look for pinnacles and confined areas to approach and dink around in but after awhile you have to find something else. I don't really enjoy cross country flight in the helicopter unless I stay below 250 feet. What should I do?

I own a number of helicopters and airplanes. I love to fly! I love to work on them! I love being around them. As a helicopter owner and recreational flyer it becomes difficult to find new places/adventures to fly. I find myself thinking all day about going flying but after doing some hover work, a few quick-stops and practice autos I find myself wondering what to do next or where to go. I look at the clock and I've only been in the air for about 30 minutes. It is weird because I really love the start-up and pickup and those initial few minutes flying. After that I'm not sure what to do but I know that the minute I shut down I'll start thinking of flying again. Yes, I love to scout around and look for pinnacles and confined areas to approach and dink around in but after awhile you have to find something else. I don't really enjoy cross country flight in the helicopter unless I stay below 250 feet. What should I do?

Lend me $15,000 so i can have a go :(

Why don't you organize some sort of "fly in' or "flying poker run" with some other rotorheads in your area? Have a BBQ, invite some eye candy, organize some prize givaways, etc. have some fun.

Hey Bristol I'm up at Keystone Airpark, not too far from you guys down there. We should do a flying poker run!!

Is that you Woor????

Don't know who woor is...

Nobody for hundreds of miles has a helicopter around here. There are 2 helicopter companies that do contract work... maybe the owners could fly their 407 and their 500 around with me. No, really I don't think they fly for fun, unless their doing a maintenance check or something.... helicopters are a business. People use them to make money. When you fly a couple times a week it feeds the bug. If I did it more often it would get to be a job but maybe that's what I'm missing is the mission.

Anybody have any really fun things they've done with the helicopter or neat places they flew (not particularly the location they flew but something they tied with it to make it more fun)

I would agree that the mission gives you a purpose and can make it more enjoyable. In my fantasy land of helicopter flight, I would provide an outdoor adventure service. Camping, fishing, hiking. Basically a taxi to all the places that you couldn't get to any other way.

If I was in your position, I might use that idea as the driving force for flights. Go out and try to scout out interesting places to land where you could leave someone for days at a time without any human contact. You will test your pin/con skills, your navigation skills (how do you get back to that spot?) and you'll get to spend a fair amount of time at lower levels (watch for wires!!)..

You could even go so far as to actually offer the "adventure" just for the fun of taking someone flying, even if you only take one person a year. Since you don't have to rely on it to support the helicopter, it would be far less stressful and, personally, I always enjoy introducing people to general aviation. Of course is you charge for the flights you'd have to worry about part 135 and whatnot, but I'm dreaming, so we'll assume this are no regs.. ;)

appreciate the replies guys... I'm really not trying to get into the market to offer flying to others.... part 135 would be a disaster and ruin any cost effectivness. I really like the outdoor adventure service idea, but again, with a piston 3 place helicopter not much people shuttling can be done.. What other part 91 stuff could be done... anybody with a neat idea that would fit part91 in a hughes 300?

here the definition for part 91 operations

§ 119.1 Applicability.

(a) This part applies to each person operating or intending to operate civil aircraft—

(1) As an air carrier or commercial operator, or both, in air commerce; or

(2) When common carriage is not involved, in operations of U.S.-registered civil airplanes with a seat configuration of 20 or more passengers, or a maximum payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more.

(B) This part prescribes—

(1) The types of air operator certificates issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, including air carrier certificates and operating certificates;

(2) The certification requirements an operator must meet in order to obtain and hold a certificate authorizing operations under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter and operations specifications for each kind of operation to be conducted and each class and size of aircraft to be operated under part 121 or 135 of this chapter;

(3) The requirements an operator must meet to conduct operations under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter and in operating each class and size of aircraft authorized in its operations specifications;

(4) Requirements affecting wet leasing of aircraft and other arrangements for transportation by air;

(5) Requirements for obtaining deviation authority to perform operations under a military contract and obtaining deviation authority to perform an emergency operation; and

(6) Requirements for management personnel for operations conducted under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter.

© Persons subject to this part must comply with the other requirements of this chapter, except where those requirements are modified by or where additional requirements are imposed by part 119, 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter.

(d) This part does not govern operations conducted under part 91, subpart K (when common carriage is not involved) nor does it govern operations conducted under part 129, 133, 137, or 139 of this chapter.

(e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to—

(1) Student instruction;

(2) Nonstop sightseeing flights conducted with aircraft having a passenger seat configuration of 30 or fewer, excluding each crewmember seat, and a payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less, that begin and end at the same airport, and are conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of that airport; however, for nonstop sightseeing flights for compensation or hire conducted in the vicinity of the Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, the requirements of SFAR 50–2 of this part or 14 CFR part 119, as applicable, apply;

(3) Ferry or training flights;

(4) Aerial work operations, including—

(i) Crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and bird chasing;

(ii) Banner towing;

(iii) Aerial photography or survey;

(iv) Fire fighting;

(v) Helicopter operations in construction or repair work (but it does apply to transportation to and from the site of operations); and

(vi) Powerline or pipeline patrol;

(5) Sightseeing flights conducted in hot air balloons;

(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.

(7) Helicopter flights conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of the airport of takeoff if—

(i) Not more than two passengers are carried in the helicopter in addition to the required flightcrew;

(ii) Each flight is made under day VFR conditions;

(iii) The helicopter used is certificated in the standard category and complies with the 100-hour inspection requirements of part 91 of this chapter;

(iv) The operator notifies the FAA Flight Standards District Office responsible for the geographic area concerned at least 72 hours before each flight and furnishes any essential information that the office requests;

(v) The number of flights does not exceed a total of six in any calendar year;

(vi) Each flight has been approved by the Administrator; and

(vii) Cargo is not carried in or on the helicopter;

(8) Operations conducted under part 133 of this chapter or 375 of this title;

(9) Emergency mail service conducted under 49 U.S.C. 41906; or

(10) Operations conducted under the provisions of §91.321 of this chapter.

[Docket No. 28154, 60 FR 65913, Dec. 20, 1995, as amended by Amdt. 119–4, 66 FR 23557, May 9, 2001; Amdt. 119–5, 67 FR 9554, Mar. 1, 2002; Amdt. 119–7, 68 FR 54584, Sept. 17, 2003]

Hey Bristol I'm up at Keystone Airpark, not too far from you guys down there. We should do a flying poker run!!

I've been thinking about it. I have bike week to get thru (I'm the IT Director for Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley Davidsons), so I get really nasty busy over the next few weeks. I think a good week would be the week of the 17th or the following week.

At Tomlinson Aviation, there is plenty of room for helicopters and the Ormond Airport is nice (KOMN). We have a nice spot for BBQ, etc.

I'm going to kick that around and come up with something. I'll let you know.

Bristol

I've been thinking about it. I have bike week to get thru (I'm the IT Director for Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley Davidsons), so I get really nasty busy over the next few weeks. I think a good week would be the week of the 17th or the following week.

At Tomlinson Aviation, there is plenty of room for helicopters and the Ormond Airport is nice (KOMN). We have a nice spot for BBQ, etc.

I'm going to kick that around and come up with something. I'll let you know.

Bristol

Ya know, we aughta meet with a few ships up at Hijackers at Flagler for a fish sandwich then do a formation flight up n down the coast.