Robinson 10 year retirement (scam or genius)

apiaguy

Do you think Robinson helicopters 10 year mandatory retirement/overhaul schedule is a scam/marketing genius or really a good thing? Does anybody agree that if you don't fly 2200 hrs in 10 years the part SHOULD be scrapped? Obviously since it is FAA mandated we don't have much choice but tell me your personal thoughts.

Do you think Robinson helicopters 10 year mandatory retirement/overhaul schedule is a scam/marketing genius or really a good thing? Does anybody agree that if you don't fly 2200 hrs in 10 years the part SHOULD be scrapped? Obviously since it is FAA mandated we don't have much choice but tell me your personal thoughts.

It is 12 years, and it is an inspection, not an overhaul. Also, unless it is in the Airworthiness Limitations Section, it is not mandetory.

oops, 12 yrs. And it would be mandatory if you operate it part 135.

I don't maintain any robinsons but I thought there was an AD identifying the newer 2200 hr limit and the 12 yr. inspection.... I haven't read the ad's on the robinsons to know....that would take some time.

All helicopters have time limited components (hours flown) that vary by design and load. Not very many have calendar limited components (everyone hates those as it forces you to scrap something even if it was just installed but never flown) Also, a limit of 2200 hrs in the helicopter world of time limited components is not very good. Alot of times, as a design ages, there will be design upgrades that will increase the time between overhauls or the life limit of a part if history will show that the part is still capable of more.

here is the component time for the 300 CBi

Engine (Lycoming) 2200 **

Main Rotor Transmission 4000

Tail Rotor Transmission 4200

Belt Drive System Overhaul

Upper Ball Bearings, Belt Drive Frame Assembly 3000

Lower Ball Bearings, Belt Drive Frame Assembly 3000

Idler Pulley Bearings, Belt Drive Assembly 3000

Main Transmission Ring Gear Carrier/Coupling 8000

Main Transmission Pinion Assembly 8000

Main Rotor Drive Shaft 4000

Main Rotor Hub 8000

Main Rotor Mast 13,590

Main Rotor Thrust Bearing 4200*

Main Rotor Pitch Bearing Shaft 4000

Main Rotor Blade Assembly 5500

Tailboom Assembly 4200

Horizontal Stabilizer Assembly 4200

Tail Rotor Drive Shaft Assembly 6000

Tail Rotor Gearbox Input Shaft 8600

Elastomeric Main Rotor Damper 6000

Tail Rotor Blade Assembly 9000

Tail Rotor Blade Retention Straps 5100

Lower Pulley Coupling Shaft 6000

Tailboom Attaching Strut Assembly 10700

why RHC has 2200 hr program is beyond thinking other than they don't trust their parts or are bilking money from their customers. either way it's not good compared to a 300CBi.

the above information was pulled right from the schweizer web site and yet Robinson provides no such information for their helicopters. you be the judge, me RHC is not for me.

Bell has some time-limited components - the Tension-Torsion Straps on heads like the 204/205/206 series are tossed away at 2 years or 1200 hours.

We just binned a set of TT straps for our Huey, they had 3 hours on them, but were 2 years old and the newies cost US$17,000. Ouch.

Edited by Eric Hunt

scam or genius??

genius.

Not only is it a guarantee of future earnings, it increases the safety of the aircraft, and reduces chance of accidents hence liability. If you were the owner, those are three very good things.

Goldy

why RHC has 2200 hr program is beyond thinking other than they don't trust their parts or are bilking money from their customers. either way it's not good compared to a 300CBi.

the above information was pulled right from the schweizer web site and yet Robinson provides no such information for their helicopters. you be the judge, me RHC is not for me.

The 2200 hour (done at RHC) does not overhaul or replace all of the components. The parts that are timed out are replaced or overhauled at that time, the rest are inspected, and replaced if not airworthy. I personally think it's a great idea. The ship is essentially taken apart and put on the line along with the new ships. This allows for inspection of parts that can't be seen in an annual or 100 hr.

Robinson does tell you the life limits -- they're in the limitations section of the maintenance manual.

Everything is designed with a 2200 hour schedule in mind to ease in the maintenance of the aircraft. For example, the engine is 2200 hour, but the tailboom is 4400 hour (second 2200). It keeps the time in the shop down by letting you do all the major stuff at the same time.

I'm also sure that Frank doesn't mind that you might have to buy new parts more often than you would with some other aircraft. ;)

My opinion is that Mr. Robinson rightly deserves to

fall in the "genius" category.

He's created a safe, affordable and excellent performing helicopter.

The 2200 hour overhaul makes an owner's operating cost easily predictable. It is also helpful when assessing the value of a used machine.

Frank Robinson's vision to create a safe and affordable helicopter

has enabled many a pilot to fulfill the dream of affordable private

rotorcraft flight and ownership, myself included.

gft