VFR/IFR

rincon

Okay, can someone clarify something for me. I was looking at a job ad(I'm not sure why, I don't have a license) and it said that they were in need of a pilot in a "Visual flight role" but went on to say that an IFR ticket was required. I thought Visual flight meant that I could see things around me, right?

So why would that pilot need an instrument ticket. Maybe I just don't understand the difference.

you can't always rely on your vision alone. if your in heavy fog or low visibility of any kind, particularly at night, you need an instrument rating. don't forget there is no VFR at night, so you have to go under IFR or IMC.

companies always prefer that you have an IFR ticket just in case something comes up. that pilot they're looking for might not be limited to just VFR flying. better competency in your instruments is always a plus.

i don't know for sure though. anyway, look at this link here. it explains everything really well.

http://stoenworks.com/VFR%20flight.html

In the US you can fly VFR at night. The instrument ticket is required for many jobs as James mentioned. When I was flying EMS in South Carolina, there is a large forest we flew over at night and there were no ground lights. It was pitch black and I was flying entirely by instruments.

So why identify yourself as a VFR program and then require an IFR certificate? I understand that if you got caught in some inadvertent stuff that an instrument cert. would be priceless. Are there companies that fly strictly VFR and don't make their pilots have those?

So why identify yourself as a VFR program and then require an IFR certificate? I understand that if you got caught in some inadvertent stuff that an instrument cert. would be priceless. Are there companies that fly strictly VFR and don't make their pilots have those?

Yes, but not in EMS. The FAA requires an instrument ticket for HEMS operators even if they are VFR only.

It only makes good business sense to hire a IFR pilot for a VFR position, it is better for the insurance and the equipment. if a IFR pilot gets caught in a situation in a VFR craft he/she will be more likely to come thru it without incident.

hense the reason even more to get your IFR ticket.

Where do you get the impression that the FAA requires an instrument rating for HEMS?

The FAA is not issuing 135 certificates without this requirement in place. At least not that I know of.

Key word is "Insurance"

They have a hell of a lot more pull than the FAA, and that's who says you need an instrument rating to be hirable. The aircraft probably isn't certified for IFR, but the pilot needs to be :huh:

I don't know what they're issuing now, but they've issued a boatload of 135 certificates without it, and nothing I can find in the FARs requires it. I don't see how they can require something the regulations don't require.

Gomer,

You are correct, there is nothing that says you must have an IFR for the 135 cert.

bossman

I don't know what they're issuing now, but they've issued a boatload of 135 certificates without it, and nothing I can find in the FARs requires it. I don't see how they can require something the regulations don't require.

Have you been issued a 135 certificate conducting HEMS?? The FAA can and has regulated the requirements of pilot in certain operations based on industry recommendations. When I first started out in EMS, I had just added on my instrument ticket. The POI called the company and said I do not meet the pilot requirements because my helicopter instrument rating was not listed in the FAA's database. They told him I just acquired my add-on and he was fine with that. But without the instrument rating, no EMS job.

So back to the question....... why do they advertise for a "day VFR" and then have an IFR requirement? realistically, does anyone hire without it?

Insurance.

A VFR rated pilot takes off in VFR conditions and flies for a company that only operates in VFR conditions...

Suddenly and unforcasted, the ceiling drops and he is now in IFR.

Who would you rather have flying your ship? VFR only or IFR rated?

Of course one also needs to be current on instruments but that is another discussion.

Yes, Some will hire without but rare. Get your IR ticket... It makes you a smoother VFR pilot.

I think there are multiple reasons. It weeds out those who aren't willing or able to get the rating, and thus in general results in pilots with higher flight times. Having an instrument rating also tends to make most pilots a little more conservative, knowing what is necessary to fly in IMC and knowing the aircraft doesn't have the required equipment. Employers can require whatever qualifications they want, and usually do it for mostly economic reasons, insurance being a big economic issue. They could require an ATP if they wanted, and some do, whether or not the job really requires it. Some employers, aviation and non-aviation, require college degrees, although the job may not have anything to do with any degree. It's just another way to cut down on the resumes they have to wade through.