What should i do?

Hey guys.

Financially im closer to doing my ppl this summer but it would be a stretch unless i get the new job that i am trying so desperatly hard to get :unsure:

The ammount that i have estimated that i will require to do the ppl in a florida flight school and then do a FAA to JAA conversion is $17,000.

A quick break down:

PPL with min flight hours = $10k

Conversion = $3k

Exams, books, equipment, accommodation, food and other extras = $3k

Then $1000 spare/more flight hours.

Do you reckon this is a sensible figure to work on?

If finnancially, i have that ammount or a bit less, should i leave it until summer 08 when i will have over enough and can kinda 'do it in style'. What i mean is go out with $20000 or there abouts and eat in restaurants and stay in a better hotel? Would this make the whole experience better for me in as much that i can relax more, and im not saving half of my macdonalds breakfast for lunch? :lol:

Another question is about the ground school/self study.

What sort of knowledge do i need to go into a pplh with? Any? Is it all handed out on a plate in the ground school combined with a couple hours a day for a month? Or do i need to be proficient with both volume 1 and 2 of the heli training manuals as well as all the other various books (human performance etc etc) before i even start?

Hope you can bombard me with advice on the questions i have asked and ANYTHING else that may help me through.

:) Cheers guys.

Richard.

A quick break down:

PPL with min flight hours = $10k

Conversion = $3k

Exams, books, equipment, accommodation, food and other extras = $3k

Then $1000 spare/more flight hours.

Do you reckon this is a sensible figure to work on?

I would really plan on 60 to 70 hours, not the 40 required by the FAA. No many people get their PPL that quickly. I know that's painful, but it's a lot less painful than if you run out of money three quarters of the way through.

Good luck!

What are you going to do after though? An instrument rating seems to be mandatory to get a job now. And of course, CFI. Or are you going to work in Europe?

This is purely ppl. Sure i would love to do the cpl now at 17/18 years old but it aint happening. I will be doing a cpl hopefully in 4/5 years from now unless i win the lottery.

Sparks,

One way to get more money for your flight training and doing nothing for it is to pay close attention to the money markets. The dollar is very weak against sterling right now, which is good news for you. At the time of writing this one pound will get you $1.95 - not a bad way of practically doubling your money. If you wait a while it may well rise - a few weeks ago it was $2 to the pound. Of course it may drop....but that's all part of the fun!

Like others have said, plan on more flight time, and also don't forget an examination fee (free if you do it with an FAA examiner). Plan on spending at least 10% more than you think you will.

Good luck.

Hey Sparks,

Always a good thought - study ahead.

If you're thinking about doing your ppl this summer, get FAA's Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge ( http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/ ) and especially the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook ( http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/ ) now, read'em and you can save quite some time and money. Though you'd still have to do the mandatory 20 or so hours ground (theory), if you do your certificate according to pt.141, at least it is not more than that and your instructor can take you to a much higher level of knowledge than if he'd have to spent the time explaining all the basics to you B) .

If then you really want to amaze him (or her), read AC 00-6A Aviation Weather - a book about, well, aviation weather - and AC 00-45E Aviation Weather Services - containing all the info how to decode weather briefings like here ( www.aviationweather.gov ). The ACs (advisory circulars) can be found here: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...me?OpenFrameSet

This should cover about 92.375% of the theoretical knowledge you'll need for your written exam.

But let me also utter a somewhat heretical thought. If your mind is already set on continuing your training towards cpl and cfi in a couple of years and not stay ppl for fun, put your money in a nice bank account now, let it grow a couple of percents and do your ppl when your ready to go cpl, too. Although, theoretically, your certificate does not expire, your abilities kinda do if you don't fly and stay current. And to become current again after 5 years of not flying will probably cost you a couple of thousands extra :mellow: .

Cheers bro',

Lance

Hey Sparks,

Always a good thought - study ahead.

If you're thinking about doing your ppl this summer, get FAA's Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge ( http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/ ) and especially the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook ( http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/ ) now, read'em and you can save quite some time and money. Though you'd still have to do the mandatory 20 or so hours ground (theory), if you do your certificate according to pt.141, at least it is not more than that and your instructor can take you to a much higher level of knowledge than if he'd have to spent the time explaining all the basics to you B) .

If then you really want to amaze him (or her), read AC 00-6A Aviation Weather - a book about, well, aviation weather - and AC 00-45E Aviation Weather Services - containing all the info how to decode weather briefings like here ( www.aviationweather.gov ). The ACs (advisory circulars) can be found here: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...me?OpenFrameSet

This should cover about 92.375% of the theoretical knowledge you'll need for your written exam.

But let me also utter a somewhat heretical thought. If your mind is already set on continuing your training towards cpl and cfi in a couple of years and not stay ppl for fun, put your money in a nice bank account now, let it grow a couple of percents and do your ppl when your ready to go cpl, too. Although, theoretically, your certificate does not expire, your abilities kinda do if you don't fly and stay current. And to become current again after 5 years of not flying will probably cost you a couple of thousands extra :mellow: .

Cheers bro',

Lance

Hey Lance,

Thanks for all the info, you will probably not believe how helpful it is! My next question was about which books to dig into and you answered that in advanced :blink:

After this thread i have decided (unless circumstances change) to do my ppl next summer (2008). The reason for this is that i am still in college studying aeronautical engineering until july '08. This means that the small part time job is only going to allow me to scrape through and not eat for a month as well as have me sleep in the hangar at night. :rolleyes:

However, in 18 months time i will have over enough and also my father said he would give me his life insurance money which matures in december.

So ppl in '08 gives me more time to prepare, allow me to do it with money to spare and also i will hopefully have or be getting full time employment then too which will buy me some hours a month.

Your heretical thought has been read however i have done a lot of flying in my 17 years of existance and i just can not stay away. I was in the RAF air cadets last year and flew in chinnoks and also did aerobatics as well as flying with my father when he was still current (FW).

So, thank you for all the info and i will be buying the books and checking out those sites very sortly. (not that i dont have enough helicopter books/manuals/training guides etc :P

Sparks,

One way to get more money for your flight training and doing nothing for it is to pay close attention to the money markets. The dollar is very weak against sterling right now, which is good news for you. At the time of writing this one pound will get you $1.95 - not a bad way of practically doubling your money. If you wait a while it may well rise - a few weeks ago it was $2 to the pound. Of course it may drop....but that's all part of the fun!

Like others have said, plan on more flight time, and also don't forget an examination fee (free if you do it with an FAA examiner). Plan on spending at least 10% more than you think you will.

Good luck.

Hey,

I am very aware of the money markets but when you mention doubling my money i dont really understand that. A ppl here in uk is £11,000 ($20,000) and in USA $12,000 (£7000). Im not really doubling my money because the prices dont change with the market, its the simple fact that the USA is a cheaper country and has the resources to make flight training cheap.

Sure i would double my money if i bought dollars at the 2:1 rate and then they went down to 1:1, but that aint likely to happen :D

Leave dads money alone..

Study hard and come over here and DO IT!!

SELL the CAR and get it done whatever.....Buy the books and study

and make your dream come true...

1. My dad is going to give me £1000 ($2000). I told him to keep it and he said no.

2. I am studying hard and i will come over and do it...(next year)

3. I need the car to get to college and everywhere else i go. The car cost me £575 and it does 50 miles to the gallon (unlike your american cars which average about 6 miles to the gallon :rolleyes:

I will do you a deal.

Sponsor me to do a cpl and i will be there in 2 weeks....

....didnt think so.. :rolleyes: