Flying in Cold Temperatures

ironranger

I was wondering if there are any limitations for flying in cold weather. Its suppose to get down to -30F with highs of -10F this weekend. Does this create any structural or mechanical problems for the helicopters? The helis are stored inside so there won't be a problem with starting them. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Ironranger

If you're flying a carbeurated bird, be very wary of carb ice... other than that, refer to your POH for specific conditions.

If you're flying a carbeurated bird, be very wary of carb ice... other than that, refer to your POH for specific conditions.

Ditto- BUT at really cold temps pulling carb heat will only put you in the danger zone for carb ice, so be careful and pay attention to the carb temps.

Ditto- BUT at really cold temps pulling carb heat will only put you in the danger zone for carb ice, so be careful and pay attention to the carb temps.

Yeh I've noticed even with full carb heat the gauge will sometimes still be in the yellow zone. We pretty much use full carb heat except when performing high performance take-offs. I was wondering if the cold affects the tail rotor and/or main rotor transmissions or are they similar to automotive drive train components which seem to handle the cold fairly well?

Ironranger

Yeh I've noticed even with full carb heat the gauge will sometimes still be in the yellow zone. We pretty much use full carb heat except when performing high performance take-offs. I was wondering if the cold affects the tail rotor and/or main rotor transmissions or are they similar to automotive drive train components which seem to handle the cold fairly well?

Ironranger

Ironranger- You do have to be able to keep engine and oil temps in the green...so technically there may be a point where its too cold to fly. Also, check out page 4-11 of the R22 POH for carb heat use, especially when operating below -4C...

Ironranger- You do have to be able to keep engine and oil temps in the green...so technically there may be a point where its too cold to fly. Also, check out page 4-11 of the R22 POH for carb heat use, especially when operating below -4C...

Thanks Goldy, I definately keep a close eye on the carb heat especially due to the automatic assist which has a tendency to keep lowering the carb heat setting when the collective is raised. Lately its been a little hard to buy into the global warming debate with the ten day forcast looking at lows of at least -15F.

Ironranger

Yeh got lucky, the temp was only -18F instead of the -30 predicted but the winds were 16 -20 kts. We had two r22's flying this morning and noticed some additional vibrations with them. I don't know if it would be the teetering hinge getting a little stiff or what. Also we were looking in the ASA pilots guide on the r22 (the poh didn't have any info on it) and it states "care should be taken when flying in extremely cold ambient conditions, below -10C. In these conditions the use of carb heat may actually raise the temperature in the carburetor to that most conducive to carburetor icing". This sounds like good info that should be in the poh. Still seems like a mystery "to use or not to use carb heat!" <_>

Ironranger

looking thru the info manual (POH) for the 300 all I've found so far is temp range from 0F to 120F :blink:

[/quote

November you must be pretty cold in the cities this weekend. The checklist in the r22 for determining max continuous manifold pressure only went down to -20C whereas the actual temp was between -25 and -30 C. Maybe we need to move to a warmer climate for the winter eh!

Ironranger

Guys- that is specifically why I referenced the R22 POH, page 4-11.....read it again. At -4C you should NOT use carb heat, as that will only throw the temps back up into the carb ice range again. All you guys are nuts anyway, I don't fly if its below 40F...too damn cold to even be outside.

Had a great flight today at 58F in sunny so cal !! 20 inches is all it took to cruise at 80Knots even with 400 pounds of pilot and pasenger.

-30F is the coldest I've been out in. After that day I decided that I would very carefully consider a flight if it was below -10F. Even with the heater full open you could still see your breath inside the helicopter. It was so cold it caused the canopy glass above my students head to break in half. The glass was ready to be replaced anyway, but the cold temps sealed the deal.

Yesterday was horrible here, temps around -4c, wind chill around -20c Winds 270 25G35, whiteouts with blowing snow. Today, not much better.

I think I may pop the doors off and take her up. :wacko:

Go COLTS

Fly Safe

Clark

Hey IronRanger,

Where are you located? Are you getting any snow or just cold. I spent a month at the Hibbing Tanker Base this summer with a L-III doing fire.

That is pretty interesting country out there. Have fun. If not much snow will probably be back in April.

Hey IronRanger,

Where are you located? Are you getting any snow or just cold. I spent a month at the Hibbing Tanker Base this summer with a L-III doing fire.

That is pretty interesting country out there. Have fun. If not much snow will probably be back in April.

Hey 206driver,

I probably saw you this summer because I am training at the Hibbing airport. It was definitely a dry summer with the lack of rain and sofar we haven't had much snow so you will probably be back this summer. We will have to have a beer at the Airway Inn.

Ironranger

another balmy day in the frozen north -28C this morning when I woke up, that's -20F for you non celsious people :D

I was born non-celsious and will always be non-celsious (is that how you spell it).

bossman