How Many Hours to Solo?

You think solo is bad, wait 'till you get your private at 160 hours!

Later

Come on Witch !! How far along are you now?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something I heard once.

I think I remember someone soloing at about 140 hours. True? I don't know, just something I overheard.

On another note, one thing that really bothered-or bothers-me is when one asks a question and gets a vague answer. I asked my first instructor about how close I was to solo. His answer was that the minimum was 20 hours. I again asked his opinion on how many hours "I" needed for solo. Again his response was "The minimum for solo is 20 hours." I gave up after several more attempts.

I've gotten vague responses from others also. It seems some don't want to give solid answers. I can understand if they don't want to be held to their answers, but come on, tell it straight pleeeezzzzzzzeeee.

Ok, rant off.

Later

Goldy, I'm almost there, but I'm taking the next month off. I have an elbow that I want to heal, I got PO'd at some people, I need a vacation and want to go swimming at Waldo, and I'm almost out of money. For that, I'm going the USVC route. I applied, and they wanted proof of citizenship since I'm foreign-born-British. All I need now is to pay fees and get books and get classes...AAARRRRRGGGGGG!

Later

I soloed at 37 hours, which at first I felt was being behind the norm, but after talking to others it seemed about right. Like the others my instructor (who weighs around 165) worked me on emergency procedures and such before I could solo, then I got introduced to CG changes with my pre solo checkride instructor who weighed 200lbs - that first pickup was not to great :rolleyes: . I've got around 57 hours now and hopefully take my private checkride at the end of the month probably ending up with around 65 by then.

Hovergirl, at 245 lbs, I can upset any CG you might be used to !

:unsure:

Okay just an innocent question from another big guy......

HOW are you flying at 245? I weighed 265 in January and didn't get to fly because of the seat weight issue (240 max) until April, when I weighed in at 239.5 on the scale. Are you ignoring the POH max?

:unsure:

Okay just an innocent question from another big guy......

HOW are you flying at 245? I weighed 265 in January and didn't get to fly because of the seat weight issue (240 max) until April, when I weighed in at 239.5 on the scale. Are you ignoring the POH max?

The 240 lb limitation is only for the Robinson R-22. He could be training in an R-44 or Schweizer with no worries. I don't know about a Bell 47 or any of the other trainers but I think the Robby is the only one with a specific seat limitation and it has to do with the seats collapsing during a hard landing. (They are designed that way to help absorb impact forces.)

I'll be soloing soon...I'm at 33 hours (7 of those being simulator time)...My checkride for solo is tomorrow and my written "proficiency" test (if you wanna call it that) will be later this week. I should be soloing next week...Yikes !!