Insurance

FUSE

Evening everyone...

I did a renters checkout at a school in my area today. So now I am able to rent a helicopter for personal use any time I want. One thing that I started thinking about tonight is insurance. What do you guys use for insurance. I read before that it is smart for an instructor to have insurance so if anything that were to happen that the schools insurance would not cover hopefully thier insurance would cover it. So I'm thinking that I should get some insurance. Any recommendations?

And still on the insurance note, what about Life Insurance. Who do you guys use for life insurance. I need to get that as well since I'm now a pilot and I can safely say that this is not something that I am going to be giving up.

Now off of the insurance note, man it was awesome going to another school, it's great to see how another place works.

FUSE.... what are the schools limitations for personal use? Can you fly it to off airport locations? Are you able to practice autos of any sort?

On the insurance note... insurance in the aviation world is a specialty.... only a few carriers... I would suggest looking at AOPA they can hook you up with an underwriter thru their renters program.

On your life insurance deal.... oh crap you screwed up. If you would have purchased life insurance before you started training you could have saved big... Now that it is your lifestyle or occupation you will pay heavily. Most any insurance will have an aviation rider... the price negotation can take some time so be sure you talk to an agent that knows the tricks of the insurance business and how to write the application.

FUSE.... what are the schools limitations for personal use? Can you fly it to off airport locations? Are you able to practice autos of any sort?

On the insurance note... insurance in the aviation world is a specialty.... only a few carriers... I would suggest looking at AOPA they can hook you up with an underwriter thru their renters program.

On your life insurance deal.... oh crap you screwed up. If you would have purchased life insurance before you started training you could have saved big... Now that it is your lifestyle or occupation you will pay heavily. Most any insurance will have an aviation rider... the price negotation can take some time so be sure you talk to an agent that knows the tricks of the insurance business and how to write the application.

Thanks for the info apiaguy.. I will check in with AOPA and see what I can get.

As far as the restrictions for using the craft for personal use. I don't know yet. Yesterday was just the Renters Checkout. That was just an hour flight with one of their instructors so they could make sure I actually knew how to fly. The next time I go there is when I will actually get to see the contract for renting. I'm sure both of what you asked is prohibited.

Thanks for the info apiaguy.. I will check in with AOPA and see what I can get.

As far as the restrictions for using the craft for personal use. I don't know yet. Yesterday was just the Renters Checkout. That was just an hour flight with one of their instructors so they could make sure I actually knew how to fly. The next time I go there is when I will actually get to see the contract for renting. I'm sure both of what you asked is prohibited.

FUSE,

I see your in Germantown so it must be AHC. No auto practice without an IP :( (ask if you can do auto training with Mike Zangara, it will be quite a ride! :D ) but with prior permission you can land off airport. You will need to get some confined area practice before they let you do that. I had a policy with AIG through AOPA for helicopter rental (Non owned is the industry term), runs a little over 1K a year but it covers me for both fixed and rotory rental. You will really like the gang at AHC, they are a great group. If you see a yellow lab tied up to the tree out back then I am probably hovering around somewhere.

Jack

Fuse,

I would check with the AOPA on life insurance while your're talking to them. If your are a member, they have it available. There are two words that can put the fear of God into an insurance agent...........

"Helicopter" and "Pilot", put the two together and $$$$$ is usually their answer to the problem

good luck

Clark B)