Another dumb question

Witch

I was wondering if any of y'all had a dog and took it flying with ya. Also how big are the dogs and how do they handle the flights? Can you leave the door off or open a window so they can stick their heads out?

Later

I carry dogs quite often - not mine. Usually Rottweiler or Retrievers.

Mostly they behave, they must be restrained to the back seat, and the rules specify moisture-absorbent mats etc. Check what your FARs say about having dawgs in the cabin with people.

Be aware that as you climb up, and the air pressure reduces, their intestinal gases and other products of digestion want to get out. Social niceties mean very little to a mutt. :blink: :o

There was a case in Germany a few years ago where an R44 crashed after the boom got chopped off. The real reason turned out to be a dog in the back seat went crazy and started chewing on the pilot, who caused a mast bump while fighting off the pooch.

Edited by Eric Hunt

I was wondering if any of y'all had a dog and took it flying with ya. Also how big are the dogs and how do they handle the flights? Can you leave the door off or open a window so they can stick their heads out?

Later

When we were doing our R44 transition training, Mark Boyer who owns Pocono Air Center, and his wife, flew down from Cherry Ridge, PA to work with my partners and me (we bought our R44 II from him). Mark had a skid mounted pod on his R44, and the reason was that there was a blanket across the back seat where "Chopper" a 2-year old german shepard rode. A very well trained dog, I might add, who seemed to like hanging around the FBO and out on the ramp. Chopper did not come along for our training sessions, though...

Our 85lb Yellow Lab is a regular passenger in the back seat of both our R44 and Cherokee Six. She is well behaved and like most labs she is always ready for a ride. I generally throw a sheet across the back seats to cut down on the hair clean up.

gft

Concur with Gomer. I took three search and rescue dogs (and their handlers) in a Blackhawk to drop them off while looking for a lost hunter. The dogs did fine but we wouldn't have flown them without their handlers. My other concern was the dog's hearing. The Blackhawk is pretty darn loud inside and I would imagine that repeated exposure (just like with us) would result in hearing damage.

I came across Mutt Muffs earlier this week.

http://www.skygeek.com/mutt-muffs.html

I think these would be great if the dogs don't freak out and shake them off.

Later

OK don't chew my ear off..

I flew hunters in NZ with there dogs one was a little tiny Jack russel under the seat in the R22 I did not feel great about it (please don't call the RSPCA) we got the lil'doggie up to the sight and after I left he got two wild pigs which I slung out on the next trip in while I got the other members of the party up to the site.. the little dog had sented and flushed out the piggies even if she couldn't hear anymore.. five hours later I flew back up to the site and took them all back after a fruitless hunt.. it seemed that the first blood was all that they got.. and I had to hang and drain the hogs.. ICK..

the reason the jackie was under the seat was ... WELL... can you imagine a HIGH strung dog like a jackie in the cabin.. the black Lab that I took up in the front was more interested in the take off than the heights.. and I swear that the jackie was asleep when I returned them to the hanger that afternoon.. All tuckered out affter a big day out.. Mellow and just happy to be with the boys..

GitinTHE BacK YA monGrels.....

CHEERS!

Used to take my 90lb German Sheppard with me years back in the Bell 47J2A Ranger. He wasn't a problem whatsoever. He'd sit behind me with his nose against the window watching the scenery go by! Best passenger I ever flew!! ;)

My dog loves to fly,

But always in the back seat B206. He wont get into a 500.

Always with a seatbelt.