Chart of the US?

FUSE

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can buy a chart of the US that is like the sectionals. Wondering if there is one that is big, something liks an 6 foot by 8 foot type of deal. I would love to have a wall that is covered with that. Doesn't need to be anything that stays accurate, this is strictly for a cosmetic purpose, not to be used for flight planning or anything. Anyone know of something like this?

I did that some 20 years ago with a K Falls, San Fran, and LA sectionals. The edges didn't line up very well on a flat wall and looked bad. Trying to line up the edges caused the chart to wrinkle. It's caused by the maps distortion and the curvature of the Earth. Doesn't work very well.

I think I remember seeing something in a Sporty's catalog showing an 8X16 chart. Ya might look there.

Later

Give this a shot. LINK There's also a VFR/IFR Low altitude planning chart available without the topographical info, but you will need two of them for what you're after (East on one side, West on the other). Most any chart agent should be able to get them for you as well as the plethora of on-line retailers. Low altitude chart is very handy as it has all of the Nav Aids and Victor airways. Anyway, a brief introduction as I’m a long time listener, first time caller. My name is Jason, and I am very grateful for the vast amount of info available on this site. I’m a fixed wing guy transitioning from boring holes to flying at last. Hope the link helps!

Why not buy the sectional charts, and fit them together!?? Pretty easy to do. Good to plan x-countries on too.

Oh, and please, let's call them 'charts' not 'maps'.

I've seen the sectionals put together and though that would work, and I will do if I have too, it doesn't look the best.

And Maps, who calls em' maps? I didn't, look at my post, it clearly says charts. :D That was a show of my newbness, thanks for pointing that out.

Found this just for interest!

What is the difference between a chart and a map?

A chart, especially a nautical chart, has special unique characteristics including a very detailed and accurate representation of the coastline, which takes into account varying tidal levels and water forms, critical to a navigator. A map, on the other hand, emphasizes land forms, including the representation of relief, with shoreline represented as an approximate delineation usually at mean sea level.

A chart is a working document. It is used to plot courses for navigators to follow in order to transit a certain area It takes into account special conditions required for one's vessel, such as draft, bottom clearance, wrecks and obstructions which can be hazardous. Way points are identified to indicate relative position and points at which specific maneuver such as changing courses, must be performed.

A map on the other hand is a static document which serves as a reference guide.

A map is not, and can not be used to plot a course. Rather it provides a predetermined course, usually a road, path, etc., to be followed. Special consideration for the type of vehicle is rarely a consideration. Further, maps provide predetermined points-road intersections-to allow one a choice to change to another predetermined direction.

Charts provide detailed information on the area beneath the water surface, normally not visible to the naked eye, which can and is very critical for the safe and efficient navigation. Maps merely indicate a surface path providing no information of the condition of the road. For instance a map will not provide information on whether the road is under repair (except when it is a new road) or how many pot holes or other obstructions it may contain. However the driver is able to make a visual assessment of such conditions.