Pilot Food!

PhotoFlyer

Talk about reviving an old thread.

Gomer!! Thanks. I was working in WA this summer and went to eat at a place called Hungry Belly in Chelan. Awesome food, kinda like "fancy" fast food? Anyway, most of their specials were lentil dishes, one was lamb with a nice red wine sauce, holy cow that was good.

Anyway, the wife and I made some lentil beef stew off your recommendation last night. Great stuff. Just sauted some onions, garlic and carrots in some oil. Threw in some vegetable broth (instead of water) lentils and a pot roast i got on sale (chopped up) and then transfered it all to the crock pot with some spices for about 4 hours. Perfect!! It would have cooked just fine on the stove in 1/10th the time, but I had all day anyways. Right before serving we thew in a bag of frozen peas. Brought it down below the scalding point and cooked the peas in about 30 seconds. Thanks again!!

Rough Recipe:

4 cups (1 box) broth (veggie, beef, chicken)

1 bag store bought lentils (cheaper if you just buy bulk)

1 1/2 onions

4-5 cloves garlic

2lbs beef chuck roast, trimmed

Few carrots

bag of frozen peas

Italian seasoning

some red cooking wine.

Total cost was well under $10 and it would easily feed 4 HUNGRY people. You'll notice my generous use of "some" and "few" in the ingredients. The best part of making your own food is you can make it taste however you like. Experiment!!!

I recommend buying this book. All you need is a 99 cent store around, or any store that sells canned food (Or bring some canned food) for most of the recipes and a microwave. They don't take very long at all, and they're pretty good.

All sorts of stuffed like stuffed bell peppers to even a dessert of peanut butter fudge. It's not very expensive, and hell even the pages are lamenated/cardboard so you can't stain it!

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Microwave-Ta...n/dp/157954892X

Edited by Chopperjess

I literally LIVE on quesadillas. Wheat tortillas, extra sharp cheddar cheese, peach-mango salsa, beans (any variety works). Ya get protein, some real live saturated fat, and not much for carbs. I worked at fancy shmancy YUMMY restaurants for way too long and became a food snob. Amazing eats and got me through school, but not exactly hangar friendly nor even remotely affordable. I stick to the basics these days...like, cereal 3x a day.

And GoMer I looooooooove lentils!! Thanks for reminding me! I have some in the pantry I keep forgetting!!

Once I had a can of Spaghettios on the engine of my truck. It exploded about 50 miles later. After that I poked a small hole before putting it on the manifold.

I wonder where a can might fit on a Robbie? How many miles must one fly until the Spaghettios are hot? How do you make brownies fudgier?

Later

I bet if you could jam it through the oil cooler door it would cook pretty well.

On a side note, who keeps reviving all these dead threads?

Edited by slick1537

Grilled cheese.

Take 2 slices of bread, butter one side and place cheese in middle. Toast each side in frying pan till outside is crunchy and cheese has melted.

2 grilled cheese in summer equals meal.

1 grilled cheese in winter plus a can of tomato soup equals meal. :D

IF ya dont have a frying pan ? (or like me & ya hate doing dishes)? :

put bread in toaster, when toasted remove & install slice of cheese between toasted bread slices & then promptly install assembly in microwave on paper plate B)

Parmesan Chicken burgers... Quick, simple, good and pretty cheap.

Ingredients

Bag of frozen breaded chicken patties

Can of pizza sauce

Shredded Cheese

Any kind of hamburger bun you want

Plastic wrap

What to do

1 Put patties in a microwave safe dish side to side (None on top of each other) They can still be frozen.

2 Pour pizza sauce on top of them.

3 Sprinkle as much cheese on top as you want.

4 Cover with plastic wrap

5 Nuke for 5-6 minutes

6 Serve on bun

Good stuff!

• 1 year later...

Since the cold wx months are arriving upon us, I thot I'd reserect this thread with a couple of my recipes that are good for the colder months

1st

Cooky__s_chili_mac.doc

2nd

Garlic Chicken Tater-tot hot dish

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (ie chicken boobs)

1 large onion

6-8 sticks of celery

3 cloves of garlic

2lbs frozen tater-tots (tater puffs) what ever your local grocer calls them

1 can cream of celery soup

milk

olive oil

butter

preheat oven to 375*

dice the chicken into 1 inch cubes

peel and finely chop the 3 cloves of garlic

from the large onion finely chop about 2 tablespoons of it, and chop the rest into large pieces

finely chop about a tablespoon of celery and large chop the rest and set aside with the onion.

in a skillet add a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil, over medium heat melt butter and oil together add garlic, and the finely chopped onions and celery, and cook about 2 minutes (don't let it burn) add the cubed chicken and brown till about half cooked.

add the cream of celery soup and 1 can full of milk to the sauce pan and cook until smooth, add soup to the chicken, add in the chopped celery and onion that was set aside.

in an aluminum roasting pan pour in the frozen tater-tots, pour the chicken mixture over the tater-tots and fold in with a large spoon till well mixed, cover securely with foil and bake for about 1 hour.

about 15 minutes before its done you can bake up some of those canned biscuits to go along with the hot dish.

when biscuits are done remove all and dish up and enjoy. :D

Edited by 67november

2 cans of black eyed peas (I prefer Trappeys w/ jalapenoes)

1 can of Rotel,

1 package of sausage. (Owens w/ special seasoning)

Mix it all together (after frying sausage of course) and enjoy.

This will make enough to have leftovers. Its quick, simple, and fills the tummy.

Add a spoonfull of butter, cornbread if available. Yum yum ! ! !

This can be cut in half too. My wife and I do this with one can of peas, and it gives us both one bowl for dinner.

Edited by Helo-Pilot

Since the cold wx months are arriving upon us, I thot I'd reserect this thread with a couple of my recipes that are good for the colder months

1st

Cooky__s_chili_mac.doc

2nd

Garlic Chicken Tater-tot hot dish

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (ie chicken boobs)

1 large onion

6-8 sticks of celery

3 cloves of garlic

2lbs frozen tater-tots (tater puffs) what ever your local grocer calls them

1 can cream of celery soup

milk

olive oil

butter

preheat oven to 375*

dice the chicken into 1 inch cubes

peel and finely chop the 3 cloves of garlic

from the large onion finely chop about 2 tablespoons of it, and chop the rest into large pieces

finely chop about a tablespoon of celery and large chop the rest and set aside with the onion.

in a skillet add a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil, over medium heat melt butter and oil together add garlic, and the finely chopped onions and celery, and cook about 2 minutes (don't let it burn) add the cubed chicken and brown till about half cooked.

add the cream of celery soup and 1 can full of milk to the sauce pan and cook until smooth, add soup to the chicken, add in the chopped celery and onion that was set aside.

in an aluminum roasting pan pour in the frozen tater-tots, pour the chicken mixture over the tater-tots and fold in with a large spoon till well mixed, cover securely with foil and bake for about 1 hour.

about 15 minutes before its done you can bake up some of those canned biscuits to go along with the hot dish.

when biscuits are done remove all and dish up and enjoy. :D

I've had the good fortune of enjoying these fine dishes prepped by 67N and they are excellant, give them a try.

IR

in an electric kettle:

Boil water

add "favorite" dry soup ie. lipton

make sure all the hard dehydrated bits are soft and hydrated or it will wreck you!

add dry potato flakes.

stir

and whalla! Po-glop. it looks as bad as the name but it is good, packed with calories, cheap, and easy to vary through the use of different soups.

• 2 weeks later...