Flingwing206 - Memorial Thread

Etouffee

As reported on several news stations now an ERA EC120 came in contact with a flair boom on an oil rig yesterday about 8:05am local time in the VE/VR area of the GOM. I have seen reports saying both people on board are reported killed and some reports are listing them as missing.

With some other info put together from other sources the Pilot was a regular on this board as well as a few other boards. That is not confirmed but there is a "handle" being listed by some and that person was a regular here. Keep both of these people and thier familys in your prayers please.

As a side note: There are several threads about this on JH and I for one am glad that the people who reside here show so much more class.

• Like 2

JOHN LANCASTER 1960 - 2007 REST IN PEACE

From one of his earlier posts here on VR:

<<<Thing is, I know a lot more car drivers, as a matter of fact, every adult I know drives a car. Stands to reason that it's likely I personally know people who have died in cars. Hell, I've watched people die in their cars right in front of me. I know a lot fewer helicopter pilots (by an order of hundreds, I'd guess), yet I know (as in personally met) two people who have died in helicopters. Which is safer? Well, at 1,000' AGL, I'll choose the helicopter any day!>>>

Sadly, we can't always fly up at 1000' AGL where it's safe. I never met John but he was always a good source of information here on VR and earned my respect.

His perpetual flight continues, now unconcerned with such earthly things as low rotor speed, torque limits, and settling with power...............

Blue Skies and Fair Breezes Swing!

He was definitely a good guy... a true loss to our helo family. May our thoughts and prayers be with him.

Guest rookie101

I reminded of a line Gomer Pylot said in one of the threads:

"We all get old eventually, if we're lucky. The alternative isn't so good, but some of us do take that path."

-Gomer Pylot

Though I didn't know him it was a real blessing to have him here on the board helping everyone he could with the knowledge he had, especally all of use noobies. You will be missed Fling, both here on the board and to those who truly knew you. Gentle winds to you, where ever that may be.

John was a true friend to us all and perhaps the best employee I've ever had. I could always count on John to give 110% to any task and he always came back asking for more. I laughed the first time he scouted an urban landing site in his car and marked the location on his hand-held GPS. But, that is the attention to detail that was his trademark. After flying with me in a 2-place glider he started adding a fixed-wing rating in our Citrabia. He said he really liked the "grass roots flying" and I'm sure one day he would have been back in a glider.

John, you will ge greatly missed by all of us.

Soar high.

Very sad to hear about John. He was very active on this forum with his advice and stories. He was never shy about sharing his knowledge and he will be missed by us all.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. Any of us who have stayed in this industry long enough have gone through this. I hope the support for his family is there. To those who are close to John please take care of his family and friends and let them know what he contributed to this world.

My deepest thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of John Lancaster. John you will surely be missed. I was his first student pilot from start to finish and let me say this, John was an EXCELLENT pilot who followed procedures and paid attention to details. There was a time when I struggled hitting the mark with my 180 autos and John went out of his way to come up with a slightly different method to train me. It only took a couple flights and I could hit the mark almost every time. :) It proves his dedication to the industry, his dedication to his students and his students success. John was a great person and a great friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with you John and your family. John, you have the controls..

Edited by Dan 300CBI

It was always great corresponding with John, his love for the industry and what he was doing was contagious. He has left a void in this industry and I for one appreciate the times we shared via email.

Sincere condolences to Johns family, friends and workmates.

May you rest in peace my friend and constantly watch over all your friends and family from high above.

You will be missed. :( :( :( :(

Ned