Flingwing206 - Memorial Thread

Etouffee

This is very, very sad :( . When i used to participate here in the past i always found John's posts very professional and interesting to read. I believe he truly helped many people with his postings both here and in Pprune. From few conversations we had via email during years he was always willing to hear how things were elsewhere and learn more about the helicopter industry worldwide. From that i got the feeling that he really loved what he did and always wanted to learn more.

Sincere condolences to John's family and friends.

You will be missed, Flingster.

/Finnrotor

I admit I didn't know him personally, but I read many of his posts and had become accustomed to him as a regular here on VR. It hurts my heart to hear the news, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and the family of his passenger. God Speed, Fling, keep a good eye on the rest of us would ya.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Colin

I feel very honored to have had the chance to fly with John as I started my initial training with him as my instructor. He was extremely knowledgable and very detail orientated. His posts were always fun to read and very informative. He will be missed dearly. Rest in peace John and my condolences to your family.

Ironranger

He was one of the good guys. I admired his sense of maturity and the way he nurtured the newbies and gave credible advice. He enjoyed flying and it showed, which is inspiring to guys like me.

I don't want it to go without saying, so I'll say it. I really appreciate the contributions made by a lot of folks here. Someone else mentioned Gomer by name so I'll add my kudos. But there are several others.

I post here rarely, but lurk here often, Flingwing's posts were always worthy of reading no matter the topic or your side of the argument or point of view. He will be missed for sure. Thoughts and prayers to his family and those who were lucky enough know or fly with him.

I'm so appreciative to read all these postings, and I know my sister will be also. Your comments, stories and insights will be a permanent part of our memories. I'm sure John was as excellent a pilot as he was a family member, friend, teacher, brother, son, and husband. As his brother-in-law, I can attest, he was wonderful--we hit the jackpot when he joined our family, and he'll be a part of our family for ever.

--DanS.

Dan, please accept my condolenses and tell your sister how deeply sorry I am for her loss. John has touched so many people in so many parts of the world. I'm not even a pilot, just a former student and big heli fan and became accustomed to seeing Johns little Flingwing moticon up in the corner of the threads. His advice was always accurate and honest. He gave class to the industry and always helped those that asked for it. I for one miss the little Flingwing guy, this really bums me out and I did'nt even really know the guy but I will remember him forever. I'm very sorry and my thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

DaveT.

Just as others have mentioned, I never had the opportunity to meet Flingwing in person. I came to know him through his posts on VR and pprune. His posts were a "must read" and always showed his love for helicopters, knowledge, and class. His presence on these boards will truly be missed. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Tonight I raise a glass to you, Flingwing. Godspeed.

Tweedles

REST IN PEACE JOHN!

it has taken me 2 days to snap back to reality and face the fact that he has passed. he will truely be missed. John was one of the main driving forces(as well as many others here) behind me making the decision to persue another career as a helo pilot. although i didn't know him face to face, i feel like i have lost a life long friend. he was ALWAYS there with information and suggestions, and expressed those ideas with such enthusiasm and a willingness to help. my family and i extend our sincere sympathies and condolences to johns family, friends and co-workers.

John taught us all about being professional, he reflected that in all of his posts.

he taught many of us many things everytime he posted his comments, you learned something everytime you read his posts no matter how minor.

To Lisa, John's Wife, his love for you was a dedicated love, he has your equine web site in his bio for all the world to see, he would have not put it there if he was not a person that was as dedicated to you and everything he did to the fullest extent of his devotion to everything he loved and enjoyed.

His manner and conduct is a testament to his devotion to the things he loved.

Godspeed to you John, the wisdom of your posts shall live on.

fly safe everyone, find a place to put a memorial to John where ever you may be.

Steve

Edited by 67november

Although my hopes and prayers were that John was skiing somewhere in Colorado when his helicopter crashed, I think in my heart I knew it was him. I had a bad night thinking about what might have happened. But today I am happy because I had the privilege to have known him as both a professional pilot and as a personal friend. And I am glad to know that they were able to find the wreckage and bring John back home for his family. I hope that God will bring comfort to John’s wife and family, and pray that he will watch over all those who take to the skies. I know that a little bit of John will always be in the cockpit with me whenever I fly.

I knew John as student at HAI and did a bit of recruiting to bring him down to Era in the GOM. I've been holding off posting because I can't find the words to describe how I feel at the moment. I had the good fortune to spend the evening with his mom and sister and got to share a lot of stories I wouldn't have otherwise heard, and the same for them. I told them about this thread and about various postings being made about him and they will be visiting them soon. They said that this is helping them understand how John lived and opening them up to a bit more of his world. A memorial will be planned in the future, they were talking maybe in the spring in Vermont where he and his wife met. I will post details as I get them. It's very fuzzy at the moment foe everyone, but again, all the kind words are being felt. I only wish Flingwing could add his own to the thread. When more facts surface I will pass on what I can. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,