I love students

CFI's share your favorite student story!!

Well, you teach for 700+ hours and you figure you've seen it all....

There we were, 1000' ,70 KIAS in our cute lil R-22 headed back to 42J from Ocala. Looking at the GPS we had about a 5 kt headwind so I figured if we passed over any open fields I'd drop a simulated engine failure on my student. Now I NEVER chop the throttle, ever. All it takes is one wrong move by the student, powered by adrenaline and it's game over, so I simply announce "Simulated Engine Failure" and let them enter. Down collective, right pedal, aft cyclic, regular Auto stuff. So I announced it, and it went fairly well, airpeed dropped a bit low, so I figured I'd do it again in a few minutes and see if he could fix it. 10 minutes later I announce "simulated engine failure", and wouldn't you know it, first thing he does, chops the throttle. I've had students do this several times, and I always grip the throttle firmly whenever we do Autos to prevent this from happening, anyway I must not have done that on this occasion, gig on me. So of course we get the massive left yaw, the ugly horn, and I slam dunk the collective. 84% RRPM, pretty damn close, and as we drop like a rock my student curls up into the fetal position!! I mean, knees in the chest, he grabs my arm with both of his hands and buries, yes you read it right, buries his face in my arm. As he's doing this he screams, Doooommmmmmiiiiiinnnnniiiiccccccccccc, which is my name, in one long drawn out wail of despair. I'm beside myself!!! I mean, I've got this monkey on my arm, which is making cyclic control a bit difficult, and I'm laughing my ass off as we plummet toward madre de la tierra. Sigh, good times....

I asked him why he cuddled with me, and he said," I thought I had put us in an unrecoverable postion." He thought we were dead, and I guess he didn't want to die alone, so...he cuddled......

No really, I do love students.....

Edited by nsdqjr

CFI's share your favorite student story!!

Well, you teach for 700+ hours and you figure you've seen it all....

There we were, 1000' ,70 KIAS in our cute lil R-22 headed back to 42J from Ocala. Looking at the GPS we had about a 5 kt headwind so I figured if we passed over any open fields I'd drop a simulated engine failure on my student. Now I NEVER chop the throttle, ever. All it takes is one wrong move by the student, powered by adrenaline and it's game over, so I simply announce "Simulated Engine Failure" and let them enter. Down collective, right pedal, aft cyclic, regular Auto stuff. So I announced it, and it went fairly well, airpeed dropped a bit low, so I figured I'd do it again in a few minutes and see if he could fix it. 10 minutes later I announce "simulated engine failure", and wouldn't you know it, first thing he does, chops the throttle. I've had students do this several times, and I always grip the throttle firmly whenever we do Autos to prevent this from happening, anyway I must not have done that on this occasion, gig on me. So of course we get the massive left yaw, the ugly horn, and I slam dunk the collective. 84% RRPM, pretty damn close, and as we drop like a rock my student curls up into the fetal position!! I mean, knees in the chest, he grabs my arm with both of his hands and buries, yes you read it right, buries his face in my arm. As he's doing this he screams, Doooommmmmmiiiiiinnnnniiiiccccccccccc, which is my name, in one long drawn out wail of despair. I'm beside myself!!! I mean, I've got this monkey on my arm, which is making cyclic control a bit difficult, and I'm laughing my ass off as we plummet toward madre de tierra. Sigh, good times....

I asked him why he cuddled with me, and he said," I thought I had put us in an unrecoverable postion." He thought we were dead, and I guess he didn't want to die alone, so...he cuddled......

No really, I do love students.....

PRICELESS! :)

• 2 months later...

Great story. I don't have one like that but it always seems like when you are teaching a student to hover, they constantly let go of the controlls. No matter how many times you tell them "positive exchange of controlls" once you start to help them recover blamo, they let go. Oh well, I probably did that to my instructor too.