AFAST

Hey folks I've been searching the forums and I haven't been able to find any advice about what AFAST guides there are and what guides are good/not so good to use to prep for the AFAST. I'm up for the 23FEB2007 MEPS and 2MAR2007 AFAST exam and was wondering if there's any info I can glean from the ones who know. My GT's a 132 and I'm aiming for a 150+ on the AFAST. Right now I have the ASA "Rotary Wing Flight" book (read twice so far), ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Test Prep Book (on a UPS truck right now), and the 2007 FAR/AIM (just to get familiar with terminology. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly indebted to you! Thanks!

Hey folks I've been searching the forums and I haven't been able to find any advice about what AFAST guides there are and what guides are good/not so good to use to prep for the AFAST. I'm up for the 23FEB2007 MEPS and 2MAR2007 AFAST exam and was wondering if there's any info I can glean from the ones who know. My GT's a 132 and I'm aiming for a 150+ on the AFAST. Right now I have the ASA "Rotary Wing Flight" book (read twice so far), ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Test Prep Book (on a UPS truck right now), and the 2007 FAR/AIM (just to get familiar with terminology. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly indebted to you! Thanks!

The test prep you have is sufficient. They're all the same actually, since it is a book written for a Federal standardized test.

Your GT score is well above the required minimum of 110 for WOFT. Also, the AFAST is a Pass/Fail test with the cutoff at 90. So you don't have to worry too much about how you do, as long as you have some common sense about you. There were people in my group who got in the 150s on the AFAST and they still didn't get into Army aviation whereas I got a 112 (I didn't study at all) and got in with no problems... so don't worry too much about it.

Also, worry some about the FAR/AIM after you take the AFAST. The AFAST is an Army test and is designed as if you have no exposure to aviation (but know how to read a test prep if you get my drift:)) If you have any aviation knowledge beforehand, especially about helos, the test will frustrate the crap out of you... many of the questions are written horribly.

Good luck man!

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I'm from an aviation family, I work at a flight training center at an FBO, and I've been reading that ASA for about a solid 2 months studying. I'm prayin and hopin and prayin some more! Thanks for the advice!

ARCO guide and RFH are all you need to prepare you for the AFAST. Most people seem to have a problem with the complex movement section and you can identify if that is going to be a problem with the practice test. Easy enough to make flash cards if you need to practice to improve your ability to decode the line segments and widths into direction and distance. I've done that for a couple guys who seemed to have problems with that part of the actual AFAST first time through.

ARCO guide and RFH are all you need to prepare you for the AFAST. Most people seem to have a problem with the complex movement section and you can identify if that is going to be a problem with the practice test. Easy enough to make flash cards if you need to practice to improve your ability to decode the line segments and widths into direction and distance. I've done that for a couple guys who seemed to have problems with that part of the actual AFAST first time through.

I've looked over the complex movements section in one of the prep guides when I was at the bookstore (takin' my free peek) and I figured that'd be the toughest section because it's the most uncommon and unconventional. Should I just make flash cards for the ones out of the test prep until I memorize all of them or are there different ones on the AFAST, just similar to the test preps?

Edited by Reg

They are different, but if you can get used to correlating the orientation of the curve and the line width with a distance and direction, then you can always use the movement key to orient yourself on the actual AFAST. Yes, copy the pages and cut and paste individual questions on 3x5" index cards.