Great deal on Heli training in Oregon.

This sounds like a pretty good deal and Idea, however Myself and others are probably sceptical of new flight schools with the idea of having one helicopter and one full time cfi. I know this could work out but the odds are not in your favor for running a brand new business without any flaws for about one year.

for example I have been attending a pretty sucessful flight school, they have been in business and making money for fifteen years, the main money probably comes from maintnance, selling parts, cause they are a dealer on mostly many different contracts for work, usually on a monthly basis. the school portion is kindof week though, and there is really no reason for it except for cost of operation, cfi pay, 100 hour inspections and insurance costs. for example, this guy owns three r22's, one is an IFR trainer, others are just beta one and one beta 2. only one cfi with limited students and financing options, weather has held me back, scheduling has held me back, meaning they arn't open on weekends and the cfi is sometimes busy, 100 hour inspections have held me back, a broken electronic peice has held me back, and an oil leak has held me back, not for too long, but long enough to piss me off. he can only afford to insure one heli at a time and it is not that easy to just switch the insurance over when one is down for a day or two. so to make a long story short, I only work a few days a week and many weeks i have not flown at all, and i havent been training very long. I could just see the problems with the one cfi, the maintnance, one broken part or one hard landing and the heli is down for a week and nobody flies , gets hours or makes money. It just would be hard I think and especially trying to please all six students, that you would need to keep you costs down and for you to make a profit. if you were training six students full time, and the cfi worked eight hours a day and took sunday off, which wouldn't always happen, that means each student could only possibly get eight hours of flight training a week if they each did two half days a week, and with any problems that do occur often, the heli is down, no students train, cfi doesnt work or get payed, hopfully the mechanic isnt busy with his full time job.

Im not trying to shoot you down or turn anybody away, but Im sure you have looked at all of these problems and many more, im sure you have came up with some solutions for these problems and maybe i didn't read everything correctly. but by far if this works, you will probably be very popular and busy.

I really do love the idea of 40 k get you your cfi, no matter if you arnt a fast learner or we don't get everything done as quickly as planned.

so could you explain some more of you thoughts on your ideas, and what plans you have implamented incase of these problems that will occur. have you thought about doing a trial run with maybe four students that guarentee that they will be there each day they are scheduled for, and do you have a back up cfi for the days the other one is sick??????

I like the idea alot, i have just seen it go bad and heard of it going bad or being impossible one too many times.... thank you, best of luck to your new business

I understand what you are saying. That is why my partner and I have this VERY calculated out.

1. We have hired one full time CFII.

2. I am one of the owners and am a CFI, so I am the first back up CFI.

3. The other owner is also a CFI, he is the second back up CFI.

4. We have one R22 coming out of 2200 the first of April.

5. The second R22 is coming out of 2200 the first of June.

6. Both will be insured at the same time, with 100 hours and annuals paid for in advance and the mechanic is willing and ready........ and FAST.

So we hopefully we have figured out most problems, the thing we are focused on is only having 6 full time students at a time, that leaves 6 students to 3 CFI's and 2 helicopters. Thats not a bad ratio at all. The way

Alexander air,

hey well now that you said you do have backup cfi's yourself and your partner and you will be getting a second r22 very shortly that sounds alot more secure, I really hope things go well cause it sounds like a great plan, idea and operation. I don't see how you couldn't be successful if you stick to your plans and they all go as planned. You kindof have to start small with a plan and then modify as time goes on. Its kindof good you are doing a first trial run with only six students, then when things seem to be going as planned, with three cfi's and two heli's I'm sure you could take on more. Just always remember that reputation is everything, word of mouth is a double edged sword, and the golden rule and things should be great. Always look at problems and concerns from your point of view and then the students point of view, think back at the things that pissed you off when you were in flight school and how could they have been avoided.

well keep us posted on dates, and how things are comming together....

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this topic. I have been considering the purchase of an instrument equiped Schweizer 300C in either a partnership with fellow students, or to simply offer up to a flight school during the hours I am not using it to learn. I realize helicopters are a financial minefield for those of us with limited experience, but it seems to be possible if done carefully. Thanks again for all of the input, it gives a lot of perspective and things to think about.

Alexander.... I wish you the best. You put safety and itegrity at the top of your list and you will do well based on your enthusiasm. My only advice to you is this: Dont let cost be the factor that sets you apart form other schools. Your projected prices are appealing, and we all want to be good stuards with our finances, but dont let it define the training you offer. Set your standards high, and always deliver your promises. Best of luck to you!

Does the name Silver State mean anything to you guys? Silver State started a school in Salem last summer.

Yes. Silver State Helicopters is a horrible school and a rip off. Stay away from them.