Aviator Academy Online Helicopter Groundschool

I was wanting some feedback from anyone who has used this course. I ran across it on Ebay. They offer several courses and are looking for Ground, CFI's, and flight schools to be affiliated with them. The course is offered under Part 61.105. I live a long way from my flight school, so an online course would be great. I took a fixed wing course, but it was tailored to their own training program, and didn't help me much for what I paid to go.

Aviator Academy

Thanks

I was wanting some feedback from anyone who has used this course. I ran across it on Ebay. They offer several courses and are looking for Ground, CFI's, and flight schools to be affiliated with them. The course is offered under Part 61.105. I live a long way from my flight school, so an online course would be great. I took a fixed wing course, but it was tailored to their own training program, and didn't help me much for what I paid to go.

Aviator Academy

Thanks

I looked them up but didn't end up buying. Seems the going rate on the course tho is $79, either on ebay, or just sign up for an account and wait a couple of weeks...they'll email you a limited time offer (!) for $79. You should also know that a lot of the resources are available online (FAA Rotorcraft Handbook, FAR/AIMS, Weather Svcs, others). If they had a free trial period I'd have bought into it.

Let me know how you like it if you do try it, but also look at Dauntless Softward's Test Prep; these guys do a test-prep course that I kinda like. And you can download and try it before dropping the cash on it.

As an aside, would it be a violation of terms of use if several students pitched in to buy the King's courses and then shared the DVDs? Those things are pricey, but I feel like i'm missing something by just reading on my own. Surprised not to see any end up on eBay...

--c

RaymondKHessel,

I have the trial versions of Dauntless Ground School and Ride Ready. I am trying to decide which one I want to try of the 3 choices. The thing about the Dauntless is it is a test prep kinda course like my ASA Test Prep Book. You can goto mywrittenexam.com and do pretty much the same thing as the ASA and Dauntless. I just want to know if the Aviator Academy is a true ground course like they claim.

Regards

As an aside, would it be a violation of terms of use if several students pitched in to buy the King's courses and then shared the DVDs? Those things are pricey, but I feel like i'm missing something by just reading on my own. Surprised not to see any end up on eBay...

--c

I just bought the King program, it says in the literature that it will only install on one computer, and it has a registration serial number in the package.

I also looked at the other ground school programs and figured that it was a safer (albeit more expensive) route to go with the program that has the most established good reputation. Everybody has seen or used the King schools program and they have good customer support. I'll let you know how it goes. I may be ready for my written before I even get to fly (I have fallen victim to the Max Seat Weight rule...)

Good luck

Keith

I also go ahold of the King Schools DVD recently. I have to say that I am somewhat if not completely dissatisfied with the quality of the package. The Kings are great, dont get me wrong, and the content is pretty darn good, but the media and the technology behind its delivery is way behind the curve. Some parts of it I feel as if Im watching an old Kung Fu flick, with the video and audio out of sync. Not a big deal really, the information is great. The Helicopter Test Prep CD-Rom that comes with the package is a 16 bit program, and I had lots of trouble making it work. In summary, the price tag does not equal the value. Its just my opinion of course, and I do believe the Kings to be great teachers.

Now that I have delivered an unsolicited review, heres the real reason for the post:

It is a violation of the terms and conditions to even loan your King DVD set to others. Its pretty darn tight the way I read it, and it is supposed to be installed only in one location, by the registered owner. Thats the rule anyway!

It is a violation of the terms and conditions to even loan your King DVD set to others. Its pretty darn tight the way I read it, and it is supposed to be installed only in one location, by the registered owner. Thats the rule anyway!

That would explain the absence of a second-hand market. So after seeing the King videos, is there something you felt that you got from them that you didn't (or couldn't) have gotten by reading, say the FAA Rotorcraft Handbook, Principles of Helicopter Flight, Fatal Lessons, and a general PPL text? Or did you consider the King's videos a substitute for massive amounts of reading? I feel like I'm learning tons by reading, but again, it's that unsettling feeling that I'm missing something that's going to lead to me making the news one day...and not in a good way.

--c

got nothing lower than a 98 on all my written's with the dauntless/ checkride.com program. easy to use, fairly cheap.

also found a great read for the commercial/ cfi hopeful, "cyclic and collective" by shawn coyle. ISBN #0-9726368-0-3.

the reading may be overwhelming for the private/ student pilot but once you have the basics down he makes the hard stuff easy to learn.

Edited by coanda

That would explain the absence of a second-hand market. So after seeing the King videos, is there something you felt that you got from them that you didn't (or couldn't) have gotten by reading, say the FAA Rotorcraft Handbook, Principles of Helicopter Flight, Fatal Lessons, and a general PPL text? Or did you consider the King's videos a substitute for massive amounts of reading? I feel like I'm learning tons by reading, but again, it's that unsettling feeling that I'm missing something that's going to lead to me making the news one day...and not in a good way.

--c

The only news I would like to read about you RaymondKhessel is that you passed your checkride! And then your commercial checkride, etc, etc. Although if you were on the news for some heroic act of pilotism, that would be cool too.

Well, lets see. Was the King material helpful? That is a hard one to answer. I do feel like the information is good and the Kings are great teachers. It is safe to say that the material in the DVD's are not anything you cant or wont get from reading. It is basically a "knowlege test prep" thing, not necessarily a ground school thing. I am reading from the Rotorcraft Handbook, the ASA Test Prep 07 book, the ASA Oral Exam Guide Helicopter, and various other sources for weather and communications information. The DVD was a good supplement, although WAY overpriced in my personal opinion. I should have used the money for flight time or maybe even a used Garmin 196...mmmmm....Garmin.....(homer simpson)

From a learning persepctive, I actually feel like the books are a better path, but everyone is different. My initial thought was that the DVD package would lessen the reading list a bit, but I discovered quickly that was not the case. Now, Im certain you could do nothing but go through the King material and pass your knowlege exam. But even walking out of the test center with a 90+, what would you REALLY know? I have this desire to understand the subject, so that I can apply it to actual situations, rather than simply memorizing the test questions.

Doing it over again, I would not have made the purchase unless the price was cut by 75%. Read the material, consult your CFI, read more material, repeat. So far that is working for me. I can totally relate to your feeling of "missing something". That is what led me to make the purchase in the first place.

Best wishes in everything!

MyWrittenExam.com may be worth a look - their website says you can take free exams for a limited time.

I used ASA software and think it's fine. I have to say I lean toward Dauntless though - it's pretty cheap ($29.99 and you can save more if you bundle 3 tests). It's versatile, user friendly, updates easily, and I got a 94 on the ATP exam. :D Kevin

• 1 month later...

Update:

Sorry for taking so long to tell my experience with Aviator Academy. So far, Kevin Wright has been great with his program. I am in Phase 3 of the ground school of 12 parts. All the study material is free, online, and all inclusive with the program, either by downloads or links. He even has video's to watch as well as all kinds of graphics, animated graphics, and diagrams to help explain each subject. I can tell a lot of time and thought has gone into making this happen. Each chapter has its own quiz and or essay as part of your total grade. There is a forum for the students to talk and discuss issues etc…

I live over a hundred miles from my school HSI. HSI has been great to me so far, but with my crazy job schedule its hard to get time off on a regular weekly schedule. But with this, I can get a good study in when I have time. If you are having a hard time and need extra help or just having a hard time getting away to go to school I highly recommend at least taking a good look at this course option when you are thinking of video or other types of courseware.

If you have any questions you may personnel email me if you like.

Later