A quick question about my Medical Examination

First I would like to say hello to everyone.. im new to the forum and I hope to be spending lots of time here in the near future.

I recently decided to get my commercial pilots licence and I am going in for my medical examination soon. I was wondering if the medical includes a drug screen? Im 20 years old and the last 2 years of my life were spent with my friends whom smoke marijuana on a very regular bassis. Allthough I myself am not a user, I know that sitting in cars, houses, apartments, cabins...etc.. with them, it has to be in my system, just as second hand cigarette smoke does. My brother is a commercial chopper pilot and I asked him but he dosent remember if he had a drug screen done or not to get his medical to get into flight school. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thank you kindly!

HAA12

For what its worth, the cute little doctors assistant requested a urine specimen when I took my Class II medical last October. Not sure what they were looking for, so I can't help you out any further. But some might suggest putting a little distance between you and those that enjoy the green stuff, just my .02 worth is all.

The urine test is to specificly test for ketones in the urine, when your blood sugar builds up in your bloodstream, your kidneys will begin to excrete the sugar and spill ketones in to the bladder. ketones are a protein that are easy to test for and it only costs them ten cents. they just dip stick your urine, I used to do these awhile ago for a few pilots. They are kindof testing for diabetes in a round about way without doing a finger stick on you . It wouldn't be so cool if you were flying for three hours and you could not eat or drink much cause you were consentrating on flying and your blood sugar went low and put you in a diabetic coma. This is the only bodily fluids they USUALLY test. unless you give them some info and they need to follow up on it. You will not have a problem

The urine test is to specificly test for ketones in the urine, when your blood sugar builds up in your bloodstream, your kidneys will begin to excrete the sugar and spill ketones in to the bladder. ketones are a protein that are easy to test for and it only costs them ten cents. they just dip stick your urine, I used to do these awhile ago for a few pilots. They are kindof testing for diabetes in a round about way without doing a finger stick on you . It wouldn't be so cool if you were flying for three hours and you could not eat or drink much cause you were consentrating on flying and your blood sugar went low and put you in a diabetic coma. This is the only bodily fluids they USUALLY test. unless you give them some info and they need to follow up on it. You will not have a problem

dlo,

You're mostly right but have things just a little mixed up. The test is for diabetes and the basic screen tests for glucose in the urine but it may also screen other compounds (ketones, proteins, etc.). Ketones are not proteins but a break-down product of fat metabolism. Ketones will often be in the urine of diabetics because they have problems with glucose metabolism and their bodies are looking for alternative forms of energy (fat). Anyone ever been on, or around anyone on the Atkins Diet? Ever smell acetone? Those are the ketones from all the fat they are eating. Excessive protein (if any) should never be in the urine and is a serious sign of kidney disease.

To answer the original question, they didn't test for drugs at during my medical but that doesn't mean they won't do it at yours (but probably not--any extra tests cost money and who is going to pay). But that being said, don't forget that just because you are not smoking pot with your friends doesn't mean your friends aren't influencing your life. All of the people in our lives influence it one-way-or-another, good or bad.

-V5

If you are not smoking you will be fine. The levels of THC metabolites in your bloodstream will not be high enough to fail you on a drug test, from normal second hand smoke. Don't smoke and you'll be fine unless you are spending a lot of time in confined spaces with people chain smoking their weed. (cars, closets, etc.)

There is no drug test performed on medical exams. The urine test is strictly to test for diabetes. It's not the AME's job to test for drug use, and (s)he won't do it, unless it's a newbie who suffers from clue deficit disorder. The only drug test you will be required to take is to work for a commercial operator, who is required to conduct drug tests for initial employment, and random tests on a recurring basis. Private pilots are not required to submit to drug testing unless there are extraordinary circumstances.