Private Pilot Checkride

I have only about 36 hours in a helicopter and am relatively close to my private pilot checkride. I am delayed because of age. I was wondering if anybody could help me with what the best things are to study for the private pilot checkride.

Thanks,

Helo08

Taking my checkride tomorrow so I may be a bit early on the advice, but here goes: I would get a copy or download the Private Pilot PTS (Practical test standards). This is the material the examiner will test you over (oral and in the air) and give you an excellent starting point in my opinion. The PTS covers the different areas that you need to proficient in: Physiology, Airspace, Cross Country Flight Planning (Weather, W&B etc), Emergency Procedures, Confined Area-Pinnacle Landings-Slope Landings, Auto's, Aerodynamics, and a few other subjects I probably forgot and will get quizzed on tomorrow.

I am sure there are some others out there that can give you a better answer. Good Luck!

Taking my checkride tomorrow so I may be a bit early on the advice, but here goes: I would get a copy or download the Private Pilot PTS (Practical test standards). This is the material the examiner will test you over (oral and in the air) and give you an excellent starting point in my opinion. The PTS covers the different areas that you need to proficient in: Physiology, Airspace, Cross Country Flight Planning (Weather, W&B etc), Emergency Procedures, Confined Area-Pinnacle Landings-Slope Landings, Auto's, Aerodynamics, and a few other subjects I probably forgot and will get quizzed on tomorrow.

I am sure there are some others out there that can give you a better answer. Good Luck!

Thanks Brushfire,

I will definitely look into the PTS. I have got a book from ASA that has some information about the oral exam. Hope everything goes well for you and keep me posted on how it goes.

I should have mentioned the PTS is published by the DOT-FAA and its a little pamphlet about 4"x6" and I have found it a good resource. Don't forget to beef up on a few of the buzz word items: Settling with Power/Vortex Ring State, Retreating Blade Stall and Low-G/Mast Bumping definitions. Know the causes, effects and corrections of each. Your CFI should have the PTS and other pertinent information and he/she should be an excellent source for drilling you on the items.

When are you taking your checkride?

I can't take my checkride until I turn 17 and that's still a couple of months away, but I'm close. Also are you taking your checkride in a robbie or a schweizer. I fly schweizer's with a couple of hours in a robbie.

S300c here, and a smidgen of R22 time. Not really looking forward to having to fly the Robbie to be honest, but I wanted to built some hours in it while working on my CPL. Something about having that beautiful cyclic between my legs is a nice comfort hahahaha

• 2 months later...

Make sure you go to the checkride with all current charts, af/d etc... also on my private, instrument, and commercial checkrides, we spent quite a bit of time going over the planned x-countries. Know your chart legend, and how to decode you af/d efficiently without having to look at the example pages, these things make you look like you know what you're talking about and it will make it less likely for the DPE to drill you on things you stumble over. Also, I would practice reading weather breifings undecoded. When you plan your x-country, print out a copy of the weather you planned it from, and highlight pertinent info for quick reference. Good luck even though you probably don't need it.

Goldy,

Good point, just what I was thinking....though the information still holds true, regardless of when that guy turned 17.

Anyway, Autorotator must be a guru on everything helicopter, me thinks.

52 posts in 43 different topics - all in the last 7 days! Busy fingers.

Joker!

Goldy,

Good point, just what I was thinking....though the information still holds true, regardless of when that guy turned 17.

Anyway, Autorotator must be a guru on everything helicopter, me thinks.

52 posts in 43 different topics - all in the last 7 days! Busy fingers.

Joker!

Weather has been really bad here for the past couple of weeks so I'm stuck in the office. Wouldn't concider myself a guru. I did notice the date of when he posted this thread, but thought the info would be usefull to any other student getting ready for his/her checkride.

Autorotator,

Although a little tongue in cheek, didn't mean to sound too ungrateful. I have read most of your posts and get the impression you are a contientious poster genuinely out there to help others.

We need more people like that! Keep it up.

Joker